Skin savers

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
28 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skin savers

ADmiKe
Do you guys use them?  What ones? Make your own?  Are they necessary or just fold over glue to glue?
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skin savers

PeeTex
No. glue to glue
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

timbly
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
I use 'em on my wider skins--they came with. It's really hard to pull glue-to-glue skins apart when they get over 85mm. Heck, it's hard enough when they're over 60mm wide. I usually cut the skin savers in half (half length, not width) and fold the skins over them, rather than trying to stick 'em on full-length, which gets really challenging when the wind is up (which tends to be always...)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
timbly wrote
I use 'em on my wider skins--they came with. It's really hard to pull glue-to-glue skins apart when they get over 85mm. Heck, it's hard enough when they're over 60mm wide. I usually cut the skin savers in half (half length, not width) and fold the skins over them, rather than trying to stick 'em on full-length, which gets really challenging when the wind is up (which tends to be always...)
You are absolutely right, my wide skins are a bitch to pull apart. I tried using the plastic strips that came with them put it was to much of a hassle  when all I wanted was to ski.  Besides, usually the second lap the glue was cold and they don't stick together as tightly. However I may try cutting the plastic lengthwise so they reduce the glue to glue contact area but won't be a PITA to put together at the top of the climb. I know that's not what you said, but that may work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
No. glue to glue
You must smoke crack
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I use them when I head out in the am, but not during the day.  At the top of the climb, especially on a small perch, when it's cold, windy and (hopefully) snowing....too much trouble.  When cold they aren't as difficult to separate as when they are warm.  At least that has been my experience over three separate days of skinning in temps just below freezing.  Maybe on warmer days glue to glue can be more of a problem?
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Darkside Shaman
Darkside Shaman wrote
PeeTex wrote
No. glue to glue
You must smoke crack
I'm not sure crack would help the skins stick to the skis
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by timbly
timbly wrote
This is exactly what I do.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
I need to to tag along and check one of these excursions out one of these days or pay more attention next tux trip. Having never done any skinning it's hard to visualize and sounds like a royal pain in the ass in any kind of challenging terrain or weather
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
In my book you aren't a man until you rip a shoulder out trying to separate skins.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think skin savers came with my skins. But they were black not red like the ones I just googled.  They make it easier but it seems like you don't get the same seal and they dry out? I've never had much luck regluing skins.  I finally gave up and bought a new pair last year.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I've been using the same skins since 2008. Lost some newer pairs in a fire, but these just *stick* with me. The glue sucks, but i have to pull them just tight to get them on the skis. replaced a few tail pieces and clips along the way. skins never die. of course they are narrow and the wider ones have great shoulder destroying potential like these used to.

overall i think the skinsavers probably work but who wants to carry more shit?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gaper Rog
Banned User
In reply to this post by ml242
In my book that makes you a woman
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
All new skins come with the "skinsavers". Use em for prolonged storage, ie, anything more than a ski session.  No need for them in your pack.  But of course my perspective is that of a yoyo skier - we only have a few hundred vert to ski in the hinterlands, and therefor our skins take a shit kicking being put on and pulled off LOTS.. I re iron and add touch up glue to my skins at least once a season.  Hell, my newest BD's didnt last a season before I had to fix the loss of glue..
Consider skins like car brakes.  They last longer if you don't use them.  

As for pulling them apart... Rule 5.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
I use the black mesh savers for my skins when I get home after the skins dry out. But on the mountain, they go glue to glue. I used to try to put the saver between the skins after skinning. But it really wasn't worth the effort at all and just got a ton of snow on the glue side.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
To quote a billionaire politician, your a pu$$y
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
To quote a billionaire politician, your a pu$$y
What? What does that mean? How old are you?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Just teasing you - as you said you were not happy with the effort required to pull wide skins apart so you use the skin savers to make it easy. Lighten up man.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex is a total fucking asshole, he has no regard for common decency or civil conversation, and he should be banned from the forum forever.

If you think that's too harsh, Lighten up man, just responding to what you said.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
mattchuck2 wrote
PeeTex is a total fucking asshole, he has no regard for common decency or civil conversation, and he should be banned from the forum forever.

If you think that's too harsh, Lighten up man, just responding to what you said.
Wow - Glade Runner must have hijacked Matts account