classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Slides Etiquette

ausable skier
This post was updated on .
Today in the WF Slides there were some not so nice folks that decided that they would walk up the access path in ski boots instead of side stepping like everone else.  I commented to them that this is not acceptable.  It erodes the path and makes it narrower and harder for everyone else.  I confirmed with Patrol that this is frowned upon.  The side stepping is a safety mechanism to make sure that you have the skills to ski down the slides.  So if you come ski the slides please follow the etiquette and don't be a jerk if someone calls you on it - keep your skis on and side step up just like everyone else.  It your quads can't hack it that is your problem not ours.   Snowboard boots don't do nearly as much damage to the path as they don't dig in like the foot toe lug on a ski boot does.

Do you all agree with me on this?

Besides not post holing the slides access and letting other faster climbers by what other etiqutte pointers can you all think of so that we can all have the best possible slides experience.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Slides Etiquette

Highpeaksdrifter
ausable skier wrote
Do you all agree with me on this?
Great topic BTW

I did notice skiers walking in alot more then usual. I think it was because they see the snowboarders do it. Normally I'd agree with you 100% on post holing, but the access path was so packed down they really didn't leave any holes. At least that was the way it was Fri. - Sun.

ausable skier wrote

Besides not post holing the slides access and letting other faster climbers by what other etiqutte pointers can you all think of so that we can all have the best possible slides experience.
Once you're on the traverse don't stand there looking around or talking to your pals..keep moving or side step up or down so people can get where they are going.

A couple of weeks ago there was a little back up on the access path...the guy in front was a little slow, but doing the best he could. A guy behind started yelling,"come on, move it...lets go", then he tried getting around everyone which was a pain in the ass. My friend said he knew him and that he was a good guy, but I thought what he did in that instance was not cool at all. He probably saved 30 seconds and when he got there he made a turn down 1 and stopped to wait for his friends.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
I guess I don't get there enough to really speak up but the only thing that bothered me yesterday was people not yielding in the run out of 4.  If you see people piling up above you, just take a break on the edge and let them by. ..I liked 2 & 3 better anyway.

The only people I saw walking up with skis were kids and as best as I can remember their parents still had them on.  As far as I am concerned keeping the skis on prevents sliding into the abyss too

I am just grateful to have the chance to ski them this year!
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I agree with HPD, good topic.

As a nordic skier I never liked it when a nice skintrack or backcountry trail was punched up with bootprints. But as much as it I don't like it, it's state land and it gets sticky when you get into debates on who uses the land, and how they use it.

At one point on Saturday, we were in a very tight section on Slide 4 - basically single line terrain. I had stopped above a drop, to allow a skier below me, who had fallen, to regroup.  Riverc0il was above me about two or three turns, and above him was a father and son.

The father was pushing the son... "ski ahead, don't stop!"

"But dad people ahead of me are stopped."

"Never let anyone slow you down!"

The two of them blew by River and then me, and right past the down skier. I assume that even on the most challenging terrain, the downhill skier still has the right of way.

Skimore has a point in the Slides TR thread. The more accessible the terrain, the more likely you are to find lower level skiers. If you insist on being surrounded by experts, you have to leave the lifts behind.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Harvey44 wrote
I agree with HPD, good topic.

As a nordic skier I never liked it when a nice skintrack or backcountry trail was punched up with bootprints. But as much as it I don't like it, it's state land and it gets sticky when you get into debates on who uses the land, and how they use it.

At one point on Saturday, we were in a very tight section on Slide 4 - basically single line terrain. I had stopped above a drop, to allow a skier below me, who had fallen, to regroup.  Riverc0il was above me about two or three turns, and above him was a father and son.

The father was pushing the son... "ski ahead, don't stop!"

"But dad people ahead of me are stopped."

"Never let anyone slow you down!"

The two of them blew by River and then me, and right past the down skier. I assume that even on the most challenging terrain, the downhill skier still has the right of way.

Skimore has a point in the Slides TR thread. The more accessible the terrain, the more likely you are to find lower level skiers. If you insist on being surrounded by experts, you have to leave the lifts behind.
Harv, it's OK to say I was the fallen skier.  If you don't fall sometimes you ain't tryin.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Psssst.....HPD Fell!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I heard!
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
Psssst.....HPD Fell!
WOW!!! I think I've only seen that happen once before ... and that was because another skier crashed into him!!!
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
Harv, it's OK to say I was the fallen skier.  If you don't fall sometimes you ain't tryin.
Well then... NOBODY out there tries harder than me!

Seriously I think I went down at least 5 times on Saturday, and I felt like I had a great day.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
I'd add two things to the list based on what I saw last weekend and the comments on the trip reports concerning the slides from last weekend.

Saftey is #1 in the slides.  If someone gets hurt then the slides close for us all and this terrian is the most extreme side area terrian in the east by far.

Saftey boils down to two issues - if you have any question in your mind about your ability - don't ski the slides.  If you can't ski quickly and confidently thru Cloudsplitter glades then the slides are not for you.

If someone is skiing slowly thru a choke point below you they have the right of way regardless if they belong in the slides or not.  There are many spots where only one person can fit at a time in there so just deal with it and wait your turn.
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Hi guys!  Great topic for sure.  I've noticed beer cans and cig butts on the slide in and that is way not cool!!  

I think people should keep their skis on when using the slide in and if you are slow def step aside.

The HPD man is right about not stopping along the traverse, specifically at the slide 3 choke.  Move down or move on to Slide 4 but do not stand on the traverse cause alot of people come in hot there and that can cause problems.

I'd say, especially in the funnel of slide 4, that slower downhill skiers/riders need to get out of the way of faster oncoming uphill skier/riders.  Just step aside mamma...

Another thing is to avoid standing around landzones.  Stay clear of ledges and ice swells cause people def huck off them.  

On another note, I am new here and could not figure out how to post without using the reply to button...  Is that possible?
I ride with Crazy Horse!