18 messages Options
JP
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Slow getting ready

JP
This post was updated on .
I have a not really earth shattering problem, that has always bothered me.  When I'm in the lodge after getting to the mountain, it takes me longer to get ready than most of my buddies. It's just me, and my boots too. If I don't get into my boots just right, inevitably I get pinched and pain. I am a little A-D-D too, so must check for my phone and keys and wallet, and all those pockets, all taking a whole 5 minutes more than most of my friends. By the time I'm ready the heavy breathing and dirty looks are taking it's toll on my psych. Now I know to be all bundled up in the lodge is no fun, but these guys are mature enough to realize that if I'm not ready they don't have to put on the coats till I put on mine. The few minutes isn't enough time for them to get out and do a run, and anyway that solution usually presents a host of other problems. One friend of mine who needed to go to the John before going out [we are at that age where you go when you need to go] had a great line "the freaking mountain's been there for about 50 million years, it'll be there in the next five minutes" Is it me?
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Slow getting ready

Thehof
I'am guilty of being a flat leaver. Don't you know first chair is the best chair.
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JP
I have a hard time leaving anywhere, checking for shit over and over and I still lose a ton of stuff every year.  I compensate by leaving really early and rarely miss first chair. Never actually.

The locals (shaman, freeheeln, charlie, mib, etc) I ski with laugh at how early I am. I learned to wait for them. While that first run on cord is usually awesome, if I stay with them the day is always better. They know WTF they are doing.

Also I get hot so if I am ready first I just wait outside in the cold where I am more comfortable.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
I want to be the first one there and the last to leave.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
Oh JP, how I know how your friends feel, my daughter is painfully slow getting ready and like you she goes through an insane procedure to get into all her gear and out on to the slopes.  I tried to push her along for a while but over time I have come to the realization that the problem is with me.  We now yip and yap as we gear up at the same super slow pace and I have learned to listen and appreciate my kid for the great person she is.  Skiing and getting ready to ski has created a great bond between us.  I think I am also teaching her a good life lesson, don't let anyone push you along.  I say keep going at the pace you want.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Lateski... care to share the origin of your screenname?  Is it relevant here?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
Yeah but come on , many times I get there in the same car as my friends, jeez five minutes wouldn't kill anybody's day. Like my buddy said the Mountain has been there for about 50 million years, also when I have rushed I end up with pain in the boot, usually have to stop and go in to fix the boot, then my friends have the conundrum " do we go in or abandon him?"  what the heck when nature calls for one of my buddy's I wait. Frankly it is just courtesy. yeah yeah no friends on powder days, but I'm not talking about that. Anyway these are first world problems. no biggie.
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Life is too short to be slow...Get there early , get out on the mountain. Get home early, knock out a few chores etc....
Our days are finite..Sleep is for the dead..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Lateski... care to share the origin of your screenname?  Is it relevant here?
I can see how it works for this thread, but I picked the name as I got into skiing late in life (46).  I love to ski and I regret the late start, hence the name.  The up side is, I'm making up for lost time by packing in as much skiing as possible with my tween daughter before these old bones give out.  This site has been a great resource in helping this mature rookie get up to speed pretty quickly.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I am slower getting ready than some and faster getting ready than others. I know your pain, I have gotten those same dirty looks and have felt guilty as well. What I have learned to do in that situation is just tell them - go ahead without me, I'll catch up. The ones that go are not your real friends, the ones that stay are but now it's their choice and not you forcing it on them.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
Unless it's a powder day, hang out and wait. Grab a coffee. If it is a powder day, hurry up or bye bye.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
regardless of conditions, expecting people to wait on you is selfish.  people's time is important so I'd say step it up or find a crew as slow as you.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Having been married for nearly 12 years now, I've gotten used to waiting. That's all I'm going to say.
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Wow this is the height of arrogance, We go together because we are friend, I am not talking about an inordinate amount of time. Also if you really feel five minutes of your time to wait on a friend is too much, you have many more problems than simply trying to get to first chair.
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
three minute rule.  my crew goes by the three minute rule.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
JP wrote
Wow this is the height of arrogance, We go together because we are friend, I am not talking about an inordinate amount of time. Also if you really feel five minutes of your time to wait on a friend is too much, you have many more problems than simply trying to get to first chair.
Easy there JP.

A lot of times this stuff is circumstance dependent.  Powder day or rush to first chair.....regardless of whether 5 minutes is going to make a difference.....people are in go mode and will be impatient.  Likewise with a late start....'heck, it's already 10:30, we gotta get out' kinda thing.....people will get impatient.  It's human nature.  If everyone else is ready to go at 9:20 (you missed first chair or first tracks) and you need to 9:25?  Tell them to sit the f down and you'll be ready in a minute, and mock their useless whining!!!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
I am slower getting ready than some and faster getting ready than others. I know your pain, I have gotten those same dirty looks and have felt guilty as well. What I have learned to do in that situation is just tell them - go ahead without me, I'll catch up. The ones that go are not your real friends, the ones that stay are but now it's their choice and not you forcing it on them.
This is the type of succinct comment I wanted to make, but hesitated because it sounds too much like "you need new friends," which could be tough to hear, depending on your circumstances.

If I was your real friend, I'd wait. But if it was a powder day, I'd bitch about it and make you buy me a beer afterwards.
Maybe two
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i am annoyingly punctual, so waiting around is painful for me.
at the mountain i usually go outside and stretch while waiting for others.
this old back needs to warm up before a day of skiing