Smartwool v.c Sporthill and other synthetics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Smartwool v.c Sporthill and other synthetics

greif
Might not be a big question for the downhill only crowd, but for XC or backcountry where perspiration is a major issue that seems to build up no matter what it is a big issue. I have been using smartwool glove liners and socks for years, which work much better for keeping my genetically issued hands and feet that perspire like crazy, yet have a touch of Raynaud's syndrome to make them quickly get cold.

Last year I changed from Sporthill base and jacket to Smartwool  base and full zip jacket. Smart wool is better in some ways. ANyone have better synthetics to offer?

Smarwool pro;  warmer when wet,  less smell, On 30 degree days just the very light base works.
Smartwool Con; takes longer to dry, maybe less wind resistant (I use a shell instead of Smartwool jacket if windy).

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Smartwool v.c Sporthill and other synthetics

JasonWx
I have a draw full of the latest synthetics..
for a base layer merino wool is still the best, warm , dry and less stinky...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Although I agree with Jason - merino bases like smartwool, icebreaker, etc - are the best investments, all of my zillion base layers are synthetics.  Merino makes me itch like crazy.  
The downside is the skanky smell after one BC or Nordic ski.
 Can't win 'em all...  

So to answer the question, I find Patagonia's Capilene variants to function best of the bunch.  You get what you pay for.  

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
I like the EMS line of Tech-Wic, synthetic yes, doesn't stink on me at least, decent price point and can be found on sale often.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Agree with TD, I guess we Hinterlandians are just sensitive New Age guys: Icebreaker merino makes me itch, I have to wear synthetic under it. It is pretty toasty warm for the weight, though.

Patagonia Capilene is the best in my books, no itch, little to no stinky, lasts forever. I get cold easily, so prefer Cap 3 for all purpose winter wear, Cap 4 for cold alpine ski days.

Off topic: While looking up links for Capilene, I discovered that Patagonia is having a 50% off sale online, ends Feb. 27. Check it out here.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
you can't beat Patagguci..
You pay more but it last forever.. my fleece , jacket and vest are almost 20yrs old..look brand new
"Peace and Love"