Snow Ridge, 12/19/13, The Pow Before The Pour

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snow Ridge, 12/19/13, The Pow Before The Pour

Cornhead
  I was scheduled to be off from work Friday. I decided to switch it to Thursday after seeing the forecast for Turin. Snow Ridge was to get 3-5" Wednesday, 7-9" Wednesday night. I kept checking NOAA's forecast Wednesday night. They kept lowering the snowfall totals until it finally reached 1-2" overnight. I called Big D at 5 AM planning to cancel our trip and ski Greek Peak instead. 300 miles of driving didn't seam worth 1-2" of fresh. Big D said things looked pretty good on SR website, so we decided to go. So glad we did, the original forecast came to fruition. There was a foot of fluff on the slopes when we arrived. The sun was out, and temps were fairly warm. We got first tracks on North Slope on our first run. Fresh snow was easy to find all day, the chair was always ski on. As noon approached, the skies became overcast, and temperature reached mid 30's. The snow became much heavier, but was still a pleasure to ski. This has been the best start of a season I can remember. It's a shame warm weather and rain is on it's way. I pray that the Susquehanna stays in it's banks. We've been flooded twice in the last 7 years. Not that there's ever a good time to be flooded, but I would think the start of Winter would be the worst.

Cruishank, my own personal blank canvas.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snow Ridge, 12/19/13, The Pow Before The Pour

skimore
Nice! If you continued down here it can be fun

Cornhead wrote

Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Yes, I know, I was playing in there last Friday! Some guy jumped off the edge of the ravine, he must have been 20' off the ground. He didn't stick his landing and lost a ski. I don't know if he ever found it. I thought about helping him look for it, but I had all I could do to right myself after I had fallen.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Cornhead wrote
 Some guy jumped off the edge of the ravine, he must have been 20' off the ground. He didn't stick his landing and lost a ski. I don't know if he ever found it. I thought about helping him look for it, but I had all I could do to right myself after I had fallen.
Nope.....he needed new skis anyway
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
It's a shame Greek Peak doesn't get the HUGE lake effects dumps of powder like Snow Ridge does. It took a few runs to get proficient skiing the fresh powder. Turned out to be one epic ski day. Rates are like $38. weekend and $22. weekday. Took a few pics:

Last run of the day was down an untracked trail on the far side of the main hill, skiers right named Kuersteiner. It had deep powder, is a fairly narrow trail and goes through the woods. (the tracks are Cornheads).

Reply | Threaded
|

fahz
Nice! Might just make it there Christmas week!  Nothing like a 100% opening!
11/25, 1/28, 4/6 Okemo; 12/03, 3/4, 4/7 Stratton; 12/10 - Skiing Santas, 1/15, 3/10 Whiteface; 12/22, 3/3 Gore; 12/26 Snow Ridge; 12/28 Stratton; 1/20 Mt Sunapee; 1/21 Pico; 2/3 Killington; 2/7, 3/7 Windham; 2/16 Eldora; 2/17, 2/18, 2/20 Winter Park; 2/19 Steamboat; 2/21 Copper; 3/11 Jiminy Peak; 3/17 Bromley; 3/25, 4/8 Belleayre; 3/31 Hunter
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Awesome TR/pics from BOTH. Thanks guys.

Big D wrote
It's a shame Greek Peak doesn't get the HUGE lake effects dumps of powder like Snow Ridge does.
If Greek Peak got snow like SR it might still be in the hands of the original owners. Seems like those big dumps on a taller vert would boost hotel occupancy and real estate prices while reducing snowmaking costs.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Big D
If you have a seasons pass from another NY ski area, Snow Ridge sells you a weekday pass for $15... How can you beat that.

Heard that McCauley Mountain in Old Forge is 40 miles from Snow Ridge and gets 2/3 the amount of snow in the Lake Effects dumps... but lift tic's look like $40, everyday.

Even though Snow Ridge isn't big vertical wise, the slopes are quite steep and sustained pitch like Plattekill. The slopes are longer and steeper than they appear in photos.

Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
They got 9" last night. I just didn't have anyone to travel with today. Hope some of you got at it.

Last time I was there (opening day with 57" of virgin powder) I had wished I had thought of bringing my powder cords. Many people were looking for their skis in the deep stuff. I know how difficult it could be to find your skis when it is that deep. I actually got myself stuck. I didn't fall, I just took a turn on very steep terrain (in the Ravine on Cruikshank) in front of a tree. The snow was well over 60" there and I just went in and stuck, unable to turn the skis downhill for another turn. I couldn't even move my legs. I had to have someone come dig me out.

Next time I go, I'm attaching those blaze orange ribbons to my bindings.

BTW, McCauley gets good snow and has sustained pitch and nice glades. Friday lift ticket is $12. Can't beat that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Powderqueen wrote
They got 9" last night. I just didn't have anyone to travel with today. Hope some of you got at it.

Last time I was there (opening day with 57" of virgin powder) I had wished I had thought of bringing my powder cords. Many people were looking for their skis in the deep stuff. I know how difficult it could be to find your skis when it is that deep. I actually got myself stuck. I didn't fall, I just took a turn on very steep terrain (in the Ravine on Cruikshank) in front of a tree. The snow was well over 60" there and I just went in and stuck, unable to turn the skis downhill for another turn. I couldn't even move my legs. I had to have someone come dig me out.

Next time I go, I'm attaching those blaze orange ribbons to my bindings.

BTW, McCauley gets good snow and has sustained pitch and nice glades. Friday lift ticket is $12. Can't beat that!
  I came very close to blowing off work today and heading up to SR. If I play hookie in the future, I'll drop you a line before I do. Yes, that was ski patrol's major activity of 12/13, helping people look for their skis. I stopped and helped a group on South Slope look for a while, they were there over an hour. I don't know if they ever did find the guy's ski. I got stuck on my second run of the day on South Slope. I was a little worried my heart wouldn't be able to take the stress of slogging over to the groomed strip on the edge of the trail. I learned my lesson, and didn't get stuck again. I was grateful to stay firmly attached to my skis all day. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'll take some more of that risk, please.

I've never been to McCauley, someone on AlpineZone had mentioned it in response to my SR TR there. I'll have to give them a ski sometime.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Maccauley is the real deal 633 vert some steeps

for a thrill try Helmers . It is one nasty ass steep vw style bump trail right under the chair and get prepared for heckling from spectators. We had to ski it to retrieve my buddys goggles which he dropped by accident off the lift .

Some other nice  runs off the chairright down the fall  line.
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.