Snow in the Rockies

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snow in the Rockies

Highpeaksdrifter
I saw on the news last night where cities like Salt Lake City are bracing for severe flooding when the snow finally melts. Snowbird expects to stay open until July 4th. In Colorado, A basin still has 360 acres open and will be open at least through June 19th, they opened Oct. 25. If you’re local there you get a 9 month ski season…pretty cool…just sayin.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snow in the Rockies

tBatt
This post was updated on .
They just got some more last night. NY Times did an article about it this morning.

NYT wrote
At the base of a slope that at this time of year usually tests the skills of mountain bikers, roughly 60 skiers and snowboarders, hoping to get first tracks on the mountain, waited for the 8 a.m. opening of the tram at Snowbird resort.
Snowbird has announced that it will be open for snow sports three days a week until July 4. And it could stay open even later.
Bob Bonar, the general manager at Snowbird, said the mountain received more than 775 inches of snow this season, well above its average of 500.
My brother is about a week into his 42 day xcountry road trip. I think he's in the Arches National Park right now... biking. He went hiking the other day, ended up postholing through all the snow. He should have brought his skis instead of  (or in addition to) his bike.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Yea, but the pizza sux
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
They went up 70 bucks for next years passes...can you believe that...$369  
If you can ski A-Basin for 9 months, you are in some serious shape.  I have not skied Jackson Hole but A-Basin might be the toughest place I have skied so far...I assume they are still skiing in Montezuma Bowl.  The lift leaves you at 13,050' and hiking up from there is a great way to acclimatize for high mountain summer hiking. 14ers anyone?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Here is the full NY times article.  

http://nyti.ms/lwjnAE

Snowbird may stay open past July 4th.  Would love to convince the wife to do a Memorial day trip out there for a ski weekend one of these years.

I also saw an article somewhere about the intense flooding in Montana b/c of the record snowpack and intense rains.  Could happen in Utah too.