classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowballs may get his wish = 20 below.

Harvey
Administrator
Just kidding SB - I know it's not what you want - but you have mentioned that we don't get the wicked cold like we did back in the day.  Many meterologist are saying that this will be the coldest weekend of the year in the New York:

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
943 AM EST THU JAN 20 2011

SAT NT SHOULD BE DOWNRIGHT BITTER...WITH MOST MINS FROM ALBANY N FALLING BELOW ZERO...WITH SOME -10 TO -20 MINS POSSIBLE ACROSS PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN DACKS. ALTHOUGH WINDS SHOULD BE DIMINISHING THROUGH THE NIGHT...THERE STILL MAY BE ENOUGH WIND TO PRODUCE WIND CHILLS WITHIN ADVISORY RANGES FOR AT LEAST PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHERN DACKS...AND POSSIBLY THE CATSKILLS.

VERY COLD AIR OVER THE REGION SUNDAY MORNING...WITH TEMPS BELOW ZERO EXCEPT IN SOUTHERN ULSTER DUTCHESS AND LITCHFIELD COUNTIES. STRONG ARCTIC HIGH BUILDS IN ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES FROM CENTRAL CANADA. LOWS SUNDAY NIGHT WILL AGAIN RANGE FROM AROUND 20 BELOW ZERO IN SOME OF THE COLDER SPOTS IN THE ADIRONDACKS AND SOUTHERN VERMONT TO AROUND ZERO IN THE SOUTH.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowballs may get his wish = 20 below.

JasonWx
this why i am sitting out this weekend..
also my kids have mid-terms next week....
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
When do we start the watch for the 1/25-26 storm.  It looks just a hair late for throwback day at MRG...but I'll settle for a Pow Day at Gore on Wednesday...because I like Gore 

Taking my kid to look at Nazareth in Rochester...while she is with the team I am looking at dropping in to see Alfred and I noticed Swain is right there...anyone have info on Swain?  I have skied Bristol quite a bit but never Swain.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Harvey
Brrrrr. That'll frost the orb. Hey, as long as it doesn't stay completely sub zero for a long time,.....I'm cool!

The coldest I've seen it here is -30. Ski tommorrow, skip that cold crap. I used to ski when it was cold, but no more. It's  just not necessary.

I've skied when it was cold enough to " float snow ". Anybody know what that phenomena is?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
when it gets that cold the air can no longer hold any moisture, thus it just freezes  
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Don't know if you were trying to answer the " floating snow " question, probably not, but just in case that's not the phenom.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
OK. I've seen this happen one very cold day. Not snowing one flake all day. No wind. Nothing to cause snow in the air. No snow in the air anywhere. Yet, at day's end, when the temps drop  I descended the mtn and down in the ravine off Tannery's end.....There was snow in the air,quite a bit of it, just kinda gently floating up and falling down, not blown directionally by the wind and just in the ravine. I stopped and looked at it for a while. OK that's freekin wierd. WTH would cause that?  Get on the lift. No snow anywhere else.... just for 30-40 ft above the ravine upstream of the bridge.

Years later, I saw a documentary...' Little Ice Age: Big Chill". It described how when it's cold, the air condenses, gets heavier, forces it's way down andactually lifts snow off the ground, making snow "float". In my example the cold air collected at the bottom of the hill because of it's density and started lifting snow off the surface. It looked like it was an actual snowfall that existed just in that low area, in that pit and as if it had originated at a 30-40 elevation above that ground and not at any other elevation or location....like it had it's own cloud, only it didn't.

That diamond dust thing is also wierd. Don't know how many noticed this, but remember the "best snow" ever, the December 08 beauty? During that day, the day Sags opened, there was something in the air that was not snow but it was still there. At times  it gave a funky lumination, a funky glow and a vaselined googles effect that was at once foggy like but definitely not hard to see thru. Here and there it added soft colors, pinks, yellows to the air that day. Very etheral kinda effect, adding an even more magical quaility to that mystical day. The sun was shining and you could not see snow or fog....BUT there was something in the air!!!!. I recall it most around lower Fairveiw, riding up the North quad, the Saddle, Foxlair/Sunway...Those environs after lunch.

Wonder if it was that diamond dust? maybe just some odd fog? Don't know but it was cool and it was pretty. I think most people were too distracted by the fabulous snow to notice it.

Thanks for that link Noreaster, I've never heard of that stuff before. Interesting.