classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowboarding to be banned at Whiteface, Gore

Denis.N
This post was updated on .
LAKE PLACID, NY—Seeking to address "the number-one threat to skiing industry," the Olympic Regional Development Authority announced Friday that it will consider banning snowboarders on Whiteface and Gore mountain slopes.

"In every single instance of snowsports accident in recent years, it was a snowboarder who posed most danger to other individuals" ORDA President Ted Blazer said. "Even accidents that came during chair lift boarding process were eventually traced back to a snowboarding individual. As great a revenue source as they have been, snowboarderds simply represent too great of a risk to the skiing industry."

Under the proposed reforms, the ORDA would institute a strict ban on snowboarding and put under closer watch ski-blading customers. A battery of questions and ID checks will be used to determine whether an individual ever ridden a snowboard or attempted to use a ski blades. Customers who will be allowed to ski Whiteface and Gore slopes will have to sign an affidavit.

If approved, the new restrictions would go into effect after Thanksgiving, at the start of 2011-2012 ski season. Customers who have already purchased season passes intending to use snowboard will receive a voucher good for one round of disk golf at the Whiteface mountain.

"We realize that these new regulations would, for some of our winter sports customers, be a major inconvenience," Blazer said. "But we feel strongly that it's a small price to pay to ensure the safety of our skiing public. We've tried every possible alternative, but nothing has worked," Blazer continued. "For all our efforts, we keep coming back to the same central problem: snowboarders. Clearly, they have to go."
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowboarding to be banned at Whiteface, Gore

tBatt
EDIT.

It was a rough night.
I didn't even remember this until telling someone about getting fooled by one of our school clubs, saying I won $100.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Funky Polak
I get press releases from ORDA, got one stating the very same thing.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
you can only dream...

just a april fools joke
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Yeah, it's a joke, but, a lot of Starter jacket wearers are going to be surprised when they get fined 100 bucks next season. It's in the new budget. Really.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Denis.N
Nice!
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
Whiteface the Alta of the east has a nice ring to it.

a better april fools joke is the noreaster that is not showing up here but was going to dump on us
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Gaper Day crackdown in Breckenridge for April 1

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/20110401/NEWS/110339965/1078&ParentProfile=1055
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Gaper day is a good time.  I'm not a fan of the "locals" complaining about gapers and tourists all year, they are clearly too dull to realize that it's because of tourism that they have their jobs,town, and mountain.  And working the door at a bar downtown I look forward to the tourists because they're often smart enough to hold a conversation that doesn't focus mainly on drugs or how drunk they are/got last night.

"I'm a local brah"
"Congrats, go to the end of the line"

I tried skiing on Friday for my first time.  It was fun and I really want to continue next season.  It is a cool feeling being brought down to a beginner level, each run you pick up on something new.  I do have a few pictures from Saturday that I won't be able to post for a while.

Best costume was an 80's onesy with a camcorder screwed on their helmet.  (the original Go Pro)
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.