Snowridge - Fri. 2/1/13

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowridge - Fri. 2/1/13

Big D
Cornhead  and I skied Snowridge today. Took about 3 hrs. from Binghamton. Snowed hard from Syracuse to Turin where Snowridge is located. While on the short stretch of NY Thruway saw a car in the opposite lanes go into a massive power slide and slide down into the median. Looked like the guy may have been able to drive it out. Went through Rome NY and Booneville. Seems like lots of snowmobiles in Booneville.

Got at Snowridge about 9:10 am and they opened the base lodge at 9:30. Lifts start at 10 am on weekdays. If you present a seasons pass from a New York ski area you get a lift ticket for $15. (normal rate for a weekday is $21 for 6 hours and $37 for a weekend ticket). They had 13" of fresh fluffy powder. Takes 5 minutes up the lift and about 2 minutes down the 500 ft. vertical. Did a lot of runs.

Cornhead was talking to a family that came down from Canada at  lunch break. Also talked to a guy from Albany who tries to ski Snowridge after they get  a dumping of lake effect snow from Lake Ontario.

Took some pics:

pic of Cornhead

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowridge - Fri. 2/1/13

Big D
Cornhead and I were originally going to go to either Plattekill or Hunter on Fri., but Mr. Corn decided we would try Snowridge because of the dumping of fresh snow they got. Anyways seems Snowridge is great to hit anytime they get a decent dumping of lake effect snow... they are forecast to get another 9" tonight.

A few more pics:
Mr. Corn again "powder-meister"

Reply | Threaded
|

ScottySkis
Beautiful.pictures. Powder nice getting the goods.
Scotty
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Big D
Very nice. Looks like you guys and what, five other people making all those turns?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Big D

I like the token swath of grooming surrounded by the schralped pow.

Sick Bird Rider wrote
Very nice. Looks like you guys and skimore's crew making all those turns?
Fixed it for ya, lol.

This place... if I can just get there once, it would be on my mission list*.  Family owned, cool family I'm told, uncrowded, boundary to boundary rocking NY ski mountain.

*Plattekill, Hickory,...
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

lemmycaution
always funny to me to see the people sticking to the groomed on a hill like that especially.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
If you guys have NEVER been there , put it on your bucket list ! This place is OFTEN like these pics . MY family has skied this remote little snow pocket for 3 decades and frankly NOTHING has changed except ownership. The vert is a FULL 500 all in one shot , no tabling down the mountain , no run outs and original vintage Hall double lifts. being the family newbies can ski Snowy Meadows lift and low intermediate can ski the Little Mountain lift both of which are separate from the pics in the TR

The point is this is how SKIING used to be , small place , family run , friendly , affordable and is often a powder mill.

Luckily i can ski it free on wednesdays , so we get there about every couple of weeks
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Damn ipad , what i meant was BRING newbies there is plenty there for them too
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.