Snowshoeing at Gore?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snowshoeing at Gore?

Petronio
Any tips/suggestions on getting started with snowshoeing around North Creek?  For someone who has no experience but wants to snowshoe as a regular activity.

For example -- are their trails at Gore?  Do you need a ticket?  Can you rent equipment?  Other good trails? Etc.

Thanks,
Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snowshoeing at Gore?

BRLKED
Best bet , head up to Garnet Hill XC, they have rentals and no trail fee if you don't use their trails. There are miles of wilderness trails right outside their door just ask, you won't be disappointed. Try Balm of Gilead, 2 miles up and back+/- nice view.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
BRLKED wrote
Best bet , head up to Garnet Hill XC, they have rentals and no trail fee if you don't use their trails. There are miles of wilderness trails right outside their door just ask, you won't be disappointed. Try Balm of Gilead, 2 miles up and back+/- nice view.
+1

Try the trails and if you want more head into the woods.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
If you're not stuck in North Creek or Gore, the Village of Lake George XC trails are also snowshoe friendly and free.  Also dog friendly.  Just off Exit 21 on 9N.  One of my favorite places to XC ski with my dog...very scenic.  PM or email me for details.

XC Trail Map
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by Petronio
Countless trails.  I am fairly sure you can snowshoe the trails Steve Ovitt cut at the ski bowl.  Go to Hudson Trading and pick up a map (or anywhere else they sell them).

Also ask about trails at Beaver Brook.  I believe they rent shoes and should be able to direct you to some good trails.

I picked up shoes for the whole family at BJ's for very little at the end of the season 2 years ago (January?--about 40-50 a pair).  They aren't Tubbs (Yukon Jack?) but you're just starting so why buy $300 shoes.  Came with adjustable poles and a carrying bag.  We've put a fair amount of miles on them just heading out the back door of our place in North Creek.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
There are some trails at gore. I think they are free. Not sure about rentals.

Tom
Reply | Threaded
|

evergreen
I would suggest buying the lower and snowshoes at the EMS at exit 15. I would avoid the Ovitt ski trails because the Skiers  will not be happy with the footprints that you will leave in the trail. I would suggest trying a hike up Moxham, a beautiful hike with excellent views. Another idea is to hike over towards Burnt ridge from the base lodge, provided that Burnt ridge is closed, and you can head over towards the ski bowl and then take the shuttle back, but make sure it's running if you plan to do this.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Interactive DEC website will point you to some trailheads.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/45415.html

Reply | Threaded
|

dobermann
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Can't speak for the trails at Gore other than they have some.
The Moxham suggestion is a good one, done that in snow shoes.

As far as snow shoes go though, MSR Lightening Ascents are the shoe of choice if you really want a good snow shoe.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by dobermann
dobermann wrote
When you are ready to buy I recommend LLBEAN - when they break and they do break often (buckles) LLB will take them back no problem.  

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/509573?nav=gnro-hp

Another good place to go is:
http://www.goremountain.com/businesses/snowshoeing-natural-stone-bridge-caves?_ga=1.54400104.1394649924.1383563347
Why would you recommend shoes that break often? Being out a couple miles with broken shoes would suck
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Dumb question - why shoes and not xc/bc skis?
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
gorgonzola wrote
Dumb question - why shoes and not xc/bc skis?
This is my for my wife.  Not into skiing, even x-c.

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

sodaspider
In reply to this post by BRLKED
Garnet Hill recently changed there snowshoeing rates and you can rent snowshoes for the day for $20 and it includes your trail fee, so if you use state trails or garnet trails and you are covered.