Southwest 3-day sale in late Sept 2017

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Southwest 3-day sale in late Sept 2017

marznc
Anyone taking advantage of the 3-day sale on Southwest this week?  Ends 9/28.

I see that it's possible to fly midweek in late Jan for about $350 RT from ALB to SLC.  Is that a good price or has it gone up in the last year or two?  Prices from RDU to SLC seem a little higher for the cheap mid-week flights.  Especially during March and April.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Southwest 3-day sale in late Sept 2017

JTG4eva!
Not all Southwest....but I booked one of my weekend getaway specials, SLC Feb 9 to 11!  Been dying to hit up Alta/Snowbird.  Also booked a Dorm bed at the slopeside Goldminer’s Daughter at Alta.  

Fly Southwest EWR to SLC on Friday, arrive SLC 11:30, take the Alta Shuttle to the Goldminer’s Daughter, ski two days, take the Shuttle back to SLC, and grab the JetBlue redeye to JFK.  R/T air $360.  Alta Shuttle $74 r/t.  Goldminer’s Daughter is $410 with tax for shared lodging in a four person dorm room, full breakfast and four course dinner included each night.  Pretty reasonable  trip all things considered.  Running low on airline miles so I’m forgoing a storm chase for a good airfare.  Crossed fingers (and toes) for good snow!!  Unless I cancel, of course.  I’ve got decent options for that to 30 days out.....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
JTG4eva! wrote
Not all Southwest....but I booked one of my weekend getaway specials, SLC Feb 9 to 11!  Been dying to hit up Alta/Snowbird.  Also booked a Dorm bed at the slopeside Goldminer’s Daughter at Alta.  

Fly Southwest EWR to SLC on Friday, arrive SLC 11:30, take the Alta Shuttle to the Goldminer’s Daughter, ski two days, take the Shuttle back to SLC, and grab the JetBlue redeye to JFK.  R/T air $360.  Alta Shuttle $74 r/t.  Goldminer’s Daughter is $410 with tax for shared lodging in a four person dorm room, full breakfast and four course dinner included each night.  Pretty reasonable  trip all things considered.  Running low on airline miles so I’m forgoing a storm chase for a good airfare.  Crossed fingers (and toes) for good snow!!  Unless I cancel, of course.  I’ve got decent options for that to 30 days out.....
If you decided to cancel, what would you do with the JetBlue ticket?

Staying at one of the lodges at Alta is a really good way to spoil yourself.  I've stayed in a dorm room at Alta Lodge when my ski buddy and I decided that it made more sense to stay in LCC than drive to JH at the tail end of a trip that started with other friends.  They had to gone home to work.  Being retired, we stayed to ski.  Then I changed my SW flight home to stay for a powder storm.  Was worth having to move to an original lodge room for a couple nights!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
GT...I say this with peace and love...You and your family vacation in Chatham...Go get yourself a single room...sleeping with a bunch of strangers , in your 20's yeah not your 40's..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by marznc
Yeah, the JetBlue leg is the only thing I’d be looking at a change fee on.  I’ll either cancel before noon tomorrow (if I come to my senses).....or I’ll roll the dice and put the $150 at risk.  

It might be nice not to go through the stress of trying to hit a full on storm chase, and just enjoy the planned trip.  Even without hitting a storm, the conditions will probably be decent in Feb.  I’ll look to do a backcountry day, and I’m sure I’ll find some leftover powder if I don’t hit a storm.  Alaska Mountain Guides runs backcountry trips out of Alta for $175 (group).  Given that a lift ticket is $88, $120 for a guide to keep me safe in unfamiliar backcountry seems like a good use of resources.

Yes, I love slope side, and a dorm room is fine by me.  I’m just gonna ski, eat, drink, and crash....most likely in that order.  GD at $183 a night isn’t bad, considering a $30 breakfast and $50 dinner is included!

Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
GT...I say this with peace and love...You and your family vacation in Chatham...Go get yourself a single room...sleeping with a bunch of strangers , in your 20's yeah not your 40's..
Ha....ask my wife....when I’m in the frame of mind to ski or party, especially solo, I act much more like a 20-something that the sage old almost 50 year old that I am!  I spent the evening on my Tahoe trip hanging out with 20 year olds in the hot tub drinking PBRs, I’d imagine I can pass out in the room with a few of ‘em without too much trouble.

Good advice, no doubt, but to up it to a room by myself it would be another $275, and I’m trying to stick to a budget.

It’s all about the adventure....but I do have some time to think about this decision.