State ski centers face big chill Budget crisis poses a threat to Adirondack sites, key job generators in hard-pressed North Country

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

State ski centers face big chill Budget crisis poses a threat to Adirondack sites, key job generators in hard-pressed North Country

adkskier
From the Albany Times Union Newspaper

State ski centers face big chill
Budget crisis poses a threat to Adirondack sites, key job generators in hard-pressed North Country
By RICK KARLIN Capitol Bureau
Published: 06:00 a.m., Monday, January 3, 2011

WILMINGTON -- When George Pataki became governor in 1995, his administration examined privatizing the legendary Whiteface ski center as well as its cousin to the south, Gore Mountain, both of which are state-owned and operated by the Olympic Regional Development Authority.

Team Pataki quickly concluded that privatization wasn't workable, given the reality that both hills lie within the heavily regulated Adirondack Park.

"Even to lease it, you'd have to change the state constitution," noted Bruce McCulley, Whiteface's general manager.

Instead, the Pataki administration "investigated the options and said, 'OK, we own them -- let's expand them,'" McCulley said.

The result was $20 million in improvements over the past decade, including new gondolas, added snowmaking and expanded terrain.

This year, Gore will debut a new connector run linking the North Creek Ski Bowl along Route 28, allowing people to ski to within a minute's drive from the Warren County village of North Creek. In 2009, Whiteface opened new trails and a lift in an area called Lookout Mountain.

But like a late-season snowstorm, operators and skiers at Gore and Whiteface may have to make those improvements last for a while due to what's expected to be several years of budget deficits -- starting off with at a gap of at least $9 billion for 2011-2012 -- and Gov. Andrew Cuomo's warnings that almost every sector of state operations will face cuts.

Indeed, one of the trails on Lookout Mountain doesn't yet have snowmaking guns. The center simply ran out of money and will now have to wait for more funds to be available.

Gore, however, was able to complete its new connector chairlift just as the state's economy entered the deep freeze.

Like other state agencies, ORDA has laid off workers and put several desired upgrades on a waiting list. Besides operating Whiteface Mountain and the Gore Mountain ski areas, the agency runs the Olympic Sports Complex, located five miles from Lake Placid at Mt. Van Hoevenberg, and the Olympic ice and jumping complexes.

The ski areas have always faced challenges, due to their isolation -- Whiteface is closer to Montreal than it is to any other major state population center -- as well as often rugged North Country weather.

To survive, ORDA has learned to adapt.

Whiteface, for example, plans to market the hill to Montreal skiers -- a move sure to be aided by recent currency shifts that have brought U.S. and Canadian currency closer to parity, which means our neighbors to the north aren't penalized for crossing the border for recreation.

And McCulley's trail crew made good use of the recent cold weather, using their snow guns to blanket the mountain's lower slopes with powdery snow.

The snow farmers at both resorts have figured out it's better to focus on making snow and grooming a few select trails with good conditions than to try to open more terrain but with less snow.

Snowmaking in recent decades has become critical for survival of almost any ski mountain, experts say. That's one reason that according to the National Ski Areas Association, the number of resorts nationwide has declined from 800 in 1960 to approximately 450 today.

So ORDA's mountain managers can deal with bad weather. The Legislature, however, can present even more of a challenge.

Last year, Senate Democrats -- who controlled the chamber at the time -- put a scare into North Country residents by proposing the wholesale elimination of state aid to ORDA, about $6.6 million that year.

ORDA was ultimately spared the budget ax, but it brought into focus some of the economics of the tourist-dependent Adirondacks.

The authority notes Gore and Whiteface are self-sustaining, with the extra money as well as state subsidies pumped into other operations such as the nearby Olympic ski jump complex, skating and hockey facilities, and bobsled and luge runs in and around Lake Placid.

"The big visual ones are Whiteface and Gore ... they actually fund the cross-country ski trails, the bobsled, luge and skeleton runs," said state Sen. Betty Little, a Queensbury Republican whose district covers Gore and Whiteface.

It's the totality of those sports -- a winter-long flow of hockey tournaments, bobsled competitions and other activities -- that keeps the Lake Placid region humming, and its hotel rooms and restaurants filled. (The facilities also are a draw for two private schools in the area, Northwoods and the National Sports Academy.)

"We don't have industry. Tourism is our number-one moneymaker," added Assemblywoman Teresa Sayward of Essex County, whose district also encompasses both ski centers.

Residents in the region are keenly aware of the role played by tourism, and they grasp the reality of the state budget crisis.

In November, Gov. David Paterson said the Empire State Games, in which junior athletes compete in a variety of sports, would be canceled due to budget shortfalls and layoffs at the state Office of Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation.

But an array of local boosters and business operators joined with ORDA and decided to hold the games on their own.

They're currently raising funds and planning events, including competitive skiing, skating and hockey as well as a new snowshoe competition in nearby Saranac Lake.

Supporters noted that 1932 Olympics in Lake Placid were pulled off despite the fact that the nation was in the midst of the Great Depression.

"The people of the Adirondack North Country," said Sayward, "are resilient."

Rick Karlin can be reached at 454-5758 or rkarlin@timesunion.com.

Read more: http://www.timesunion.com/default/article/State-ski-centers-face-big-chill-932184.php#ixzz1A5wRQjRi
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: State ski centers face big chill

Harvey
Administrator
When I saw the title of this thread I was expecting doom and gloom.

Maybe I'm nuts but this seems like a pretty positive article to me.

A huge amount has been accomplished at Whiteface and Gore. Sure there is adversity ahead.

But IMO if you remove the money spent on capital improvements, the two hills are basically self sustaining, and they have done it without real estate.

The money infused for capital improvements to date should be further motivation to keep things running at the ORDA hills.

Serious question... what I am missing here?

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
No mention of the convention center.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I don't think your missing anything. The longer term problem I think is that when you include capital improvements, ORDA is a money loser. Going forward capital improvements will be necessary to keep the hills competitive with the ones in VT. It won't be necessary to expand terrain but some of the lifts (and I think some snowmaking equipment) are old. At some point it will need to be replaced and the money has to come from somewhere. In the near term, if no additional capital is needed, then the hills do in fact generate cash so it would not make sense to shut them down.

The article does a nice job of pointing out that there is a lot more to consider than simply the ODRA budget. There are a lot of people employed by lodging and restaurants. These people pay income taxes and the businesses collect sales taxes. The sucking sound you hear is all that money going to VT if the hills were to shut down. I know the politicians are dumb, but not that dumb.

tom

Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
TomCat wrote
I know the politicians are dumb, but not that dumb.
Don't be so sure ...

Adirondack Daily Enterprise, March 27, 2010 ...

"Travis Proulx, a spokesman for the Senate's Democratic majority, said Friday that the proposal is still on the table.

'We certainly appreciate the people from the local communities served by ORDA coming to Albany and sharing with us the impact it would have on the local economy," he said. "That's really important to know, and it is an argument that has been missing thus far in budget negotiations. As much as we do want to maintain our commitment to ORDA and the state's role in its operations, we have to target where we can find that revenue.'"

The "that's really important to know" comment is the scary thing ... so was he saying that they made the decision to cut funding to a state agency with no knowledge of the impact of those cuts? Using that approach, I think I'll turn the heat off in my house completely to save money ... oh ... pipes can freeze and burst in the winter? I guess that's really important to know!

It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: State ski centers face big chill Budget crisis poses a threat to Adirondack sites, key job generators in hard-pressed North Country

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by adkskier
I imagine Gore and Face will be fine as long as the customer base remains. Any significant reduction in customers may simply smoke ORDA out and they'll find more profit margin than they let on. I suspect there's more cookies in the jar than ORDA admits. Typically, this is done to garner more funding. It's common.

Then again, that stupid a$$ Convention Center could prove to be the financial straw that breaks the camel's back. I'ld bet it won't prove to be profitable.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/columns/david-nicklaus/article_c2c7e20b-f305-5048-9ee0-5dc004b3545d.html
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
In reply to this post by Harvey
Time will tell. ORDA really exists as an economic development engine as opposed to NYS being in the outdoor recreation biz. I think that we are likely to see fewer capital improvements over the next few years as the new administration tries to get the NY budget under control and cap taxes. This said, while Gore and Whiteface may be self-supporting, they both still have some very old infrastructure that is overdue for replacement. I foresee a challenging future.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: State ski centers face big chill Budget crisis poses a threat to Adirondack sites, key job generators in hard-pressed North Country

Benny Profane
""The ski areas have always faced challenges, due to their isolation -- Whiteface is closer to Montreal than it is to any other major state population center -- as well as often rugged North Country weather."

Wha, wha?? Isolated? Furcryingoutloud. Gore is closer to NY than Killington, and, certainly, Stowe. OK, OK, you don't get the Boston crowd, but, givmeabreak already. There's a major highway that gets you 85% of the way to the mountain! I have to spend at least an hour and a half on two lane roads to get to the closest Vermont mountains.

Somebody in this ORDA has got to get hip to modern marketing. This is ridiculous. I don't know of one person down here (Upper Westchester) who has even skied at Gore, let alone knows much about it, And I'm not talking about newspaper ads, although, I'll bet, that's where the money would be wasted  by the overpaid politically connected mediocrity they would hire for the job. Hint:  I just bought a Droid X "smartphone", and that's your future, right there. Millions of people a text or Facebook post away.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
"This said, while Gore and Whiteface may be self-supporting, they both still have some very old infrastructure that is overdue for replacement. I foresee a challenging future."

I don't know about that. Gore's infrastructure and equipment is pretty damn fine compared to what I see at private VT areas. The Gondola is pretty nice, and, I'm always stunned at the money they spend to heat those concrete platforms you enter and exit on. New shiny sleds under the plentiful patrol, plenty of snowmaking, nice renovated lodges.  Check out, oh, Mt. Snow and see what a major privately run southern VT. area works with.
funny like a clown