Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Steamboat Conditions

Sick Bird Rider
snoloco wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
snoloco wrote
What are the best groomed runs? blah blah blah
Dude, people are helping you out here. Some humility and thanks would be in order.
You and campgottagopee are getting all over my ass for something that is none of your business.  Maybe you're just jealous that I'm going out west in a week and you're all stuck here with no snow and shit warm temperatures.
If it is on this forum, then it is my business. And Campy's too. We are all sitting around the campfire here, just like you.

Actually, I am not jealous at all and think that it is fantastic that you are going somewhere with snow. All I am saying is that you should make a little effort to thank be thankful for the experience and wisdom that is being shared here. We are all volunteers, after all.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
How could I forget about the Strawberry hot springs!

My first time there I was with a my buddy and four young ladies. It was a naked message party on magical fungi. Fantastic! I remember other times equally as altered looking up at the Hail Bob Comet. Cosmic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
raisingarizona wrote
How could I forget about the Strawberry hot springs!

My first time there I was with a my buddy and four young ladies. It was a naked message party on magical fungi. Fantastic! I remember other times equally as altered looking up at the Hail Bob Comet. Cosmic.
Snoloco should be so lucky.

Hail Bob!
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
Should have quoted this a long time ago, but better late than never.

raisingarizona wrote
It sounds like conditions are shaping up for Steamboat and the big holiday weeks. You are going to have a really good time.
They broke 100 inches this week, and are about 7 inches away from breaking 10 feet.  They are 85% open already and will be even more open by the weekend.  I also asked on twitter if the Pony Express (last lift to open for the year) will be open by the time I get there.  They said it should be open by the time I arrive.

raisingarizona wrote
-Cruisers: Vagabond is one of the most fun as it rolls and undulates with big high speed corners. It gets busy though. Valley View Runs and the Heavenly Daze off the gondola are both great cruisers too. For a flatter cruiser that is labeled blue but really a green imo head for Buddy's run to Tornado Lane off Storm Peak.
We'll definitely be hitting those.  I heard that the Thunderhead Express is to be avoided in the morning, so we'll probably be hitting Vagabond, Heavenly Daze, and Valley View in the afternoon.  I'm sure that NOTHING at Steamboat gets anywhere near as busy as Belt Parkway at Hunter, or Horizon at Mountain Creek gets, so trail crowding shouldn't be an issue.  Buddy's Run to Tornado Lane sounds like it would be a good warm up run and a first taste of western skiing.

raisingarizona wrote
-Trees: As you already know the tree skiing is what shines at Steamboat. The classics being Shadows and Closets and they are rightfully so so don't skip them. Other really awesome trees off the Sundown Express are located skiers right of Two O-Clock trail called the 2:30 trees and in between the run One O-Clock and Two O-Clock there are the 1:30 trees. These are little more lower angle and easier going than Shadows and Closets but still really beautiful tree lines. When I lived there the Pony Express lift didn't exist but we skied that area often, it was bc skiing back then. I'm sure there are still the same trees in between the cut ski runs.
I'm not much of a tree skier, and I kind of baby my equipment, but Steamboat should have way better coverage in the trees than anywhere on the EC ever does, so no issues bottoming out.  I'll definitely be trying out some of their tree skiing.  I'm also sure that the trees are more widely spaced, so that would make western tree skiing better than eastern tree skiing in another way.  Definitely not to be missed.  From my study sessions of the trail map, it looks like the Bar UE lift serves some good high elevation tree skiing, so good coverage.  That lift is also out of the way, so no lines.  How does the tree skiing there compare to 1:30, 2:30, Shadows, and Closets  

raisingarizona wrote
-Bumps: Lots of that in Steamboat. The classic run is White Heat off the Burgess Creek lift but you can find perfectly formed zipper lines on a lot of the black diamond ski runs there. Four Points area has some good mogul skiing as well and Rolex on the other side of the mountain is another classic. 4 Points is also a fun area to lap on deep powder days. Rolex is really fun when it gets groomed also.
Not much of an EC bump skier because "bumps" in the east usually means  "icy death trap from hell".  Out west, that should be different with the bumps soft and much easier to ski.  I'll definitely try and hit some bump runs.  Definitely looks like the Four Points lift supplies some great steeps to lap.  Hopefully it doesn't get a big lift line.

raisingarizona wrote
-Steeps: Not Steamboats strong point but there is a little bit up on top there viewers left on the trail map. The kicker is there isn't a lift that directly serves this area so you have to drop all the way back down to the Storm Peak Express and then down over to Morning Side Park (we used to call this area Boring Side! it's mostly very flat) and then use that lift to get back up. One cool feature going into Morning Side we would hit a lot is a small rock drop somewhere in what is marked on the map as Cowboy Coffee. My first season the Morning Side Area didn't exist and we would hike up to the summit every lap to access the steeps. We would do that 8 to 10 times a day sometimes. All three chutes are nice but Chute Two was my favorite as it has a nice steep narrow choke to it. In between the chutes are permanently closed areas called the half chutes, this and a few other spots are where my friends and I started to develop our steep skiing techniques. I had a friend named Newt that would air out the whole cliff band that is Chute One and a Half in the early 90's. We unfortunately lost Newt in a skiing accident in 2005. He was a hero of mine and mentored me as I was progressing during my big air days. What is now called the East Face used to be called Gate D and North St. Pats was Gate C. These are the two other areas that have interesting terrain. I would skip Christmas Tree Bowl and the other options and just head out to these areas. NSP opens up into a steep little bowl with some cool straight-linable shots that empty into a perfect wide open flat. Gate D...er East Face has the most featured terrain on the mountain. It's a fun area with lots of short pitches and big boulders and mini hucks. In between the two zones along the rope line dividing the two areas is a small rock outcropping with a small but funky chute dividing the the rock face, this is the only fully rock lined chute in Steamboat and it's called Rancid Tuna. It has a small drop into it but it's like 4 feet.
I can't ski most of the true extreme terrain at other resorts, so I don't have a problem with this.  For one who can ski just about everything in the east, would the chutes be doable?  I don't want to get too full of myself and crash and end the trip early.

Once again, thanks for the advice.  I should have done this post a long time ago.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
All of the ski runs off of Sunshine are basically greens. It will be good for you and your moms, every run though feels just like the other one to be honest. When I lived there I never skied that area. Buddy's is another good fam run. Rainbow is a legit blue cruiser. Vagabond is a ripper especially if you can get it without the crowds. There are rollers on Vagabond where floaty 40 foot airs are easily obtained but it's gotta be clear for that. Heavenly Daze and Valley View are also more legit steeper cruisers. The right hander at the bottom of VV is exciting if you straight line that headwall. If it's a pow day head right for Sundown or the Storm Peak areas. They are the two best lifts for pow skiing.

The steeps are all short and much of it is benched making it a great area to get into it without getting in over your head. Push yourself a little away from your comfort zone, it's good for you.

You can not go to Steamboat and skip the tree runs. Shadows and Closets are world class and yes the spacing provides pleasure skiing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote

Once again, thanks for the advice.  I should have done this post a long time ago.
That's the spirit. Have a great trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
A couple pics from the 90's in Steamboat. First one is of me in Fish Creek Canyon. It's a side country canyon you can access from below the double diamond terrain viewers left on the trail map. The second is of my buddy Brett dropping into Rancid Tuna, a short chute in between St. Patty's and the East Face...I think. They were called different things back then so I'm not 100% on that.

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Those are definitely above my ability level.

I know that you said that the Storm Peak and Sundown Express are the best on a powder day.  However, Sundown is part of the paid first tracks program, so that's probably all tracked out by the time anyone else can get to it.  That leaves Storm Peak.  What you also said is that the Pony Express didn't exist when you skied there.  I heard that lift is usually overlooked in favor of Storm Peak on a powder day, so would it make sense to use that lift instead?  Only issue is that it is slightly lower elevation, so it might not have as good conditions, but it won't get all tracked out by the first run.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Ah yes, good point on the Pony Express lift. A lot of that area we used to call the Rib and was out of bounds. It is probably super good for a pow day. The trees over there in between the ski runs are very good. I haven't skied that since the development but I think you are right. It's probably some of the best stuff for a pow day.

Post up a TR when you get back as a thanks for the advice from everyone. We look forward to seeing some photos and hearing about Snolocos Steamboat experience!

I'm stoked for you. I think Steamboat is a good choice for you and this season. Git some!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
^ Great shots but I was hoping for some hat stoke:

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Here is one more pic for some stoke. This is my buddy Johnny Fro, he is now a ski patroller at Snowbird.

I love this photo, back lit shots seem so classic to me. It's hard to believe this was 20 years ago!
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
What are the best groomed runs?  
I've been eyeing the Sunshine area as well as Buddy's Run off Storm Peak, and Longhorn off the Pony Express as the best groomers.  Are there any that I am missing that are good?
Buddys and Longhorn are both great.  The others that RA mentioned are all good too: Heavenly Daze, Vagabond, Rainbow.  Also I'll echo what RA said about the Sunshine trails:  kinda flat and boring.  There are some fun mellow trees between the trails there though.  You could definitely ski your mom through those.

snoloco wrote
The Bar UE lift looks to have some high elevation glades off of it which could be good on a storm day.  That lift also looks to be out of the way, so no line.
Yep, the Bar UE lift is good (no lines)  and has great glades off the top.  Similarly, the Priest Creek lift next to Sundown is also good.  Both run as kind of overflows to the Storm Peak and Sundown Express lifts.  When we were out there last Feb (the vacation week), lift lines were a non-issue other than maybe a 10-15 min wait for the gondi in the morning.  The only other place that occasionally backed up was the Sundown Express, so we used Priest Creek as an alternate.  That terrain off Priest Creek is fun too.

One thing about the trees at Steamboat:  There's great trees all over the place.  Just duck in wherever it looks good off any trail.  If you see tracks heading in, follow 'em.  When we skied Steamboat we hardly took a run that didn't include at least some trees.  You will find the trees very forgiving compared to East Coast.

snoloco wrote
Those are definitely above my ability level.
Awesome shots RA!
Sno, don't let that deter you from trying the hike-to stuff on Mt Werner.  Follow the main lines down and you won't get into any trouble at all.  Unless you want to.

snoloco wrote
I know that you said that the Storm Peak and Sundown Express are the best on a powder day.  However, Sundown is part of the paid first tracks program, so that's probably all tracked out by the time anyone else can get to it.  That leaves Storm Peak.  What you also said is that the Pony Express didn't exist when you skied there.  I heard that lift is usually overlooked in favor of Storm Peak on a powder day, so would it make sense to use that lift instead?  Only issue is that it is slightly lower elevation, so it might not have as good conditions, but it won't get all tracked out by the first run.
Sno, don't overthink things too much.  If it snows while you're there (and it probably will), you'll have no trouble finding great snow, including untracked, all over the place.  Pony Express probably is a good bet, and so is Priest Creek, but like I said, you won't be desperate to find good snow to ski.  If you want more untracked, just head into the trees and you'll find untracked lines all over the place.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
That is a sweet shot.

Sno what are you skiing on in CO?

raisingarizona wrote

This is my buddy Johnny Fro
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
raisingarizona wrote
I love this photo, back lit shots seem so classic to me. It's hard to believe this was 20 years ago!
Those are all great shots RA, what's amazing to me is how much harder it was 20 years ago to get great shots like that.  It wasn't like today where you can just hold down the burst button on your digi p&s.  You had to be skilled with your camera and get at least a little bit lucky.  Love the vintage pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Adk Jeff wrote
raisingarizona wrote
Those are all great shots RA, what's amazing to me is how much harder it was 20 years ago to get great shots like that.  It wasn't like today where you can just hold down the burst button on your digi p&s.  You had to be skilled with your camera and get at least a little bit lucky.  Love the vintage pics.
thanks you guys! It was pure luck with throw away box cameras.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
^ Great shots but I was hoping for some hat stoke:
Billy.  Steamboat makes a big deal about Billy, and rightfully so. At the top of the gondi they've got this Billy meet-up spot so you can ski with Billy.  Anyway, and apologies if I'm repeating this story, we got to the top of the gondi at the start of an awesome powder day and we see this:

We all looked at each other and were like "Billy's a freaking idiot!"  Don't worry, my kids are 7 and 11 so no F-bombs were dropped.  But ever since then, whenever the skiing is really good, we all pull out the "Billy is NOT skiing today!!!" joke and laugh.  I'm sure you'll have a lot of great times with your fam on this trip that you'll remember for a long long time.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Sometimes after a big party night/post powder morning in Steamboat a few young ski bums would get large woman's underwear, cut them, then put them on the Billy the Kid statue in front of the gondola , put them back together with duct tape for the mornings pressing glass scene line up. Sort of funny.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote

We are all sitting around the campfire here, just like you.
That reminded me of the bean scene

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
That reminded me of the bean scene
That must be at Steamboat - look at the hats! Except for the kid in the middle. Hmmmmmmm.......

@Jeff & AZ - great stories on the BK theme. This thread is really starting to set the tone for Snoloco's trip.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The sign should have been more honest.

"Billy is not skiing WITH YOU today."  

I bet he ditches all the Griswalds on a primo powder day!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!