classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Chasing....

JTG4eva!
Or mid-life crisis, not sure which one.

I was forced into a couple of days of solo skiing, having been abandoned by my wife and children.  Was planning on a great spring Friday/Saturday up at WF.

Being totally free, and not ready to accept a wind down on the season.....I made a big left turn.  BIG.  WF, I'll catch you the week before Easter, hope you have some snow left!

I'm chasing powder in the Crystal BC, booked for round 2 of earned turns.  Since I was there less than 2 weeks ago they have had 3 feet of new snow.  Seth was out in the BC yesterday and it's really good.  They are expecting a big storm tomorrow night, with some more snow Friday night.  With Seth free on Friday it became necessary to depart with some Delta Skymiles (a $900 plane ticket was a barrier, but no more) and head out to Seattle Thursday night.  A day in the BC Friday, followed by a day in the resort on Saturday, late flight home and I can still get wifey to the NYC FC home opener on Sunday afternoon.

First time hoping a plane to chase a storm, I'm pretty stoked.  Let's hope my wife shares my enthusiasm!  She did say I was free to do whatever I wanted....
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Chasing....

Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
Solo trips are the best!  No one to plan for/with, eat whatever you want, ski wherever you want, drink as much as you want, sleep as much as you want, etc. etc. etc.  I love good company but have no problem going it alone.  Good luck on your trip - post some pictures for the rest of us snow starved souls!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Go get em man. I was just telling somebody I've been trying to have a midlife crisis for years and I just can't fit it in
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
If you can't see, Northway...if you can, Powder Bowl
I miss Crystal
 they dealt with this crap last year
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
YES! Git some!

Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Just out of curiosity, why not ride lifts on Friday, and go hiking on Saturday?

EDIT: got it, guide is free Friday

Forecast is definitely looking good... make sure you rent a 4WD if you're getting a car.  Be careful... it could be sketchy if it gets windy.

NOAA wrote
THE ECMWF...IN WHAT IS STARTING TO LOOK MORE
AND MORE SADISTIC...KEEPS THE LOW SPINNING OFF THE CANADIAN COAST
SENDING WAVE AFTER WAVE OF PRECIP OVER THE WEEKEND AND INTO THE
FIRST PART OF NEXT WEEK.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
Go get em man. I was just telling somebody I've been trying to have a midlife crisis for years and I just can't fit it in
I'd say it's not a full mid-life crisis event, just a mini.  It's not like I'm ditching the fam and running off for a week of heli-skiing.  My family ditched me and told me to go ski alone for two days.  I didn't have to fit it in, I just changed the destination and spent a few hundy more than I otherwise would have!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by nepa
nepa wrote
Just out of curiosity, why not ride lifts on Friday, and go hiking on Saturday?

EDIT: got it, guide is free Friday

Forecast is definitely looking good...
Sadistic......I likey that adjective for a forecast!

Yes, Seth is working on Rainier on Saturday, so Friday it is for touring.  At first blush the idea of skiing the newly fallen goods in the resort on a week day and then hitting the BC while the crowds track out the resort Saturday seems like the better choice.  However, if I'm lucky Southback will be closed Friday (it often is the day after a significant accumulation, and the storm should wind down early on Thursday), leaving plenty of untracked to fight the masses for.   I'm staying at the base Friday night, so I can be in line bright and early.  Added benefit, the BC should be almost completely untouched on Friday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Awesome.  Follow your inner ski bum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by onscott
onscott wrote
Solo trips are the best!  No one to plan for/with, eat whatever you want, ski wherever you want, drink as much as you want, sleep as much as you want, etc. etc. etc.  I love good company but have no problem going it alone.  Good luck on your trip - post some pictures for the rest of us snow starved souls!
Hell yes! Just back from solo trip to WF this past weekend, extended into Monday. Hooked up with a bunch of hockey dads who convinced their wives to let them go out on Sat night, without the wives. 9 beers and 3 bars later, I hit the hay at 4am! Up at 6:30 for a cup at Starbucks, then off to WF.

Have to admit..started drnking H2O seriously at 3:30 am. Skied my ass of from 8:30 to 2 pm. Pulled the plug when things got sketchy to be sure I would leave the mountain injury free. Great day overall. Conked out big time Sunday night. Had a blast. Told my wife everything when I got home...she asked what I'm planning for an encore performance the next time I head out solo! HAve to admit,, she was pretty cool about the whole thing...prob figured no worries..9 beers in..he was too pooped to pop anyway! For the record...Uber'ed and walked everywhere. LP is very serious about DUI. Not looking to wreck my life or anyone elses at the moment..literally.

My biggest problem was getting in my car before I left home, slipped on ice in my driveway and went down hard. Left NJ with fluid the size of a squished down golf ball between the skin and knee cap on my left knee. Iced it and took one Aleve on way up. By the time I hit LP, the fluid retracted (miracle), and I was good to go. There's a lot to be said about balance when sober. In my case it sucks. I would've been better off drunk when I hit the ice..prob would've had a better chance staying on my feet.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
About a foot since noon... maybe a bit heavy down low, could be upside down up high (heavy on top/dry below).

Crystal Snotel 1
Crystal Snotel 2
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Be careful.  My wife just got back from a morning session at Mission.  There was over a foot new East of the crest last night, but conditions are variable.  She said below 6K had a fairly significant rain crust.  It was very slabbby, with a few larger slides triggered by the morning control work.  The next system looks like it will have the same characteristics... cold start with gradual warming... Good Luck!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The plan is if avy risk is high there  is plenty of mellow tree skiing we can do.  Of course that's likely to be a little lower down, at higher risk for that rain crust.  I trust Seth to make the call and find the goods.  I suspect he's out there today.  Thanks for the words of caution and the info.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Nice thing about earning the turns is you can pick your range.  As Mission's report indicates, up high is nice.  Avy conditions permitting I don't have a problem running 600-800 vertical foot laps above 6,000.  Maybe a little shorter than last time out, but I'll take it if that's what we get.  I'll report back in tomorrow night!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Seth sounds like a great guide. Be fun to create a guide page similar to rafting page to feature recommended guides for each area of the country.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
Yeah, I highly recommend him if anyone ever has the opportunity.  Very professional, good teacher, fun guy.  I thought it was cool he had a few beers with me at the end of the day.  One to one guiding, as opposed to a group,we got a lot done, he actually thanked me for a great day last time out.  I told him he had that backwards!