classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Speculation: 1/5 - 1/6/14

WNY-ADK Skier
This post was updated on .
Looks like a snow to rain to snow situation for WF. Not sure how much snow - if any - we net from this. Looks like more rain for points further south, including Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 1/5 - 1/6 Storm

ml242
Horrible forecast. It's currently -14 where I am on at 8:40am. 40 mph south winds for the next 24 will see this place warm to 40 degrees and rainy over the next 36 hours. The wind, heat, rain combo on a thin snowpack is pretty much certain doom. The northeast giveth, the northeast taketh away.
Reply | Threaded
|

WNY-ADK Skier
Where are you? Catskills?
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
No. VT.
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
huh?  Snowpack is great at GORE.  Looks like a freezing mix and maybe some rain before we go back into the ice box.  Gore may get into more lake effect on Tuesday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Forecast just got much colder, I would travel anywhere for snow. I was searching the point and clicks from NH to LP this morning and everywhere was looking at a half inch + of rain before the deep freeze. Sign me up for a sleet and snow mix everywhere instead.

... even better would be another 14" of POW POW!

I might head to Whiteface for the coldest of cold air depending on what happens. Maybe Jay, they could win big.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
light mixed bag for all the northern mountains  , then DEEP freeze..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
so this is my first post.

i have been creeping on you guys for awhile and love what you do. Iv just got home from working on a ship for a month. is driving 5+ hours to the catslills from toronto a bad idea for this storm? i am only home for 6 weeks and nnnneeeed sNOW!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Chuuurles wrote

i have been creeping on you guys for awhile and love what you do. Iv just got home from working on a ship for a month. is driving 5+ hours to the catslills from toronto a bad idea for this storm? i am only home for 6 weeks and nnnneeeed sNOW!
Short answer is Yes..It will sleet and rain in the Cats Sunday and then snow showers Monday night. Followed by very cold temps Tuesday..
The rest of the week looks kind of blah..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
From Toronto why not hit Tug Hill?

Weather south or east of there looks terrible again.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ml242 wrote
From Toronto why not hit Tug Hill?
Agreed. Lake Effect Machine Cranks up again Tuesday-Thursday
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Raining in Saratoga right now.  

Trying to decide if I want to hit gore tomorrow.  Looking like they are running very limited grooming so they think it is going to be wet.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
So, why we are getting drenched in the wet stuff the midwest is getting a huge dump by this storm.  Got a message from a friend that one of the mountains in MO that I used to ski at was closed yesterday and today due to... snow.  Apparently they don't have the gear to dig out the lot and the road up to the "hill".  
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
thats some random useless babble
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
In reply to this post by Chuuurles
Chuuurles wrote

Go to Snow Ridge, skiing 5ft of snow will be an experience you'll never forget. Bring any heart meds you may need.Or, do what I plan on doing, ski McCauley, a little less snow, a little more vert. Welcome aboard!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
R*in is horrible in all aspects.  There is nothing good about it at all.  Unfortunately, that is all NY is getting and there looks to be another thaw coming soon.  This season looked so promising, but now it is not.  Luckily, Six Flags opens on April 5th this year, so I can always go there if ski season ends early.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
snoloco wrote
R*in is horrible in all aspects.  There is nothing good about it at all.  Unfortunately, that is all NY is getting
Take a peek at the central and western part of the state buckaroo
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
skimore wrote
snoloco wrote
R*in is horrible in all aspects.  There is nothing good about it at all.  Unfortunately, that is all NY is getting
Take a peek at the central and western part of the state buckaroo
Why can't it come a few hundred miles east.  This season is starting to look like the one two years ago.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
Well thanks for the input guys. I ended up skiing the blue mountain area on the Niagara escarpment and i can tell you it was great! No Tug Hill type of snowfall but a solid 25cm !! what a welcome back!

Looks like its still snowing in the tug...