Harvey
Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Storm Speculation: 12/24/11

JasonWx
Accu weather really got the event on wed /thurs right..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Harvey
Early prediction: 8-10 inches.  Who's with me?!!?
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
This post was updated on .
Mattchuck,

Well, deep subject for a shallow mind; at least its a start, why not shoot for the moon, say two feet?  I mean I ski with two skis, ya' know, attached to two boots which are inclined to tip simultaneously right, left and generally with a foagional bias.  The common thread here is two, feet, of snow, that is, which would get more terrain open, add miles of smiles, feed local cash registers and would require certain terrain to be actually "skied in", as it does not avail itself to mechanical grooming.   We are all due for Ma Nature to show up for more than a "howdy-do", so any snow dances, voo-doo rituals, obsolete ski bonfire incidents and stuff of that ilk are most welcome.  

That being said, here's to a happy, adventure filled holiday season and a ripping, healthy New Year.  Ski you on the hill, may each turn be better than the last.

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .

I like Matt's guess.  Something measurable plus a few extra inches for stoke.

Found this on Weather.com:

There are two possible scenarios for Christmas weekend in the Northeast. The first scenario: Two areas of low pressure, one in southern Canada, the other off the East Coast bring accumulating snow to parts of the Great Lakes and Interior Northeast. In this case, cold high pressure would retreat enough to keep the I-95 Boston-Washington corridor predominantly rain.

The other scenario is more interesting for the I-95 corridor. This track features only one surface low...tracking just off the Northeast seaboard, potentially keeping just enough cold air in place for accumulating snow from Philadelphia, New York City, Hartford, and Boston. With that said, a period of rain could occur in these locations as the low slides by.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Last nights 0z GFS has light to moderate event for interior NY and NE over Xmas. The new 6z GFS has nada. It takes a very weak wave off the coast. The EURO model was some what in between. So more time is need since there is such run to run inconsistency.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
its looking better from this

A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Check out the map Bastardi just retweeted:

Looks like storms 2 and 3 could impact NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
The models are finally zeroing in on the dominant storm. It looks like Friday's low will be the winner. That said, this will not be a major event. It is a quick mover that will drop light to maybe a moderate snow in the Cats and Dacks and NE.

As of now there are no other events, the Xmas day storm goes way south and east.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Trying reverse psychology, washed my car today, leaving hose out. Not asking for much, at least enough to do some cross - country. At this point 3-4 inches would seem like a blizzard.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
2" of dense snow at Shaman HQ this morning. It was lightly raining here before the changeover occurred after midnight, so hopefully Gore got a little extra.
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
NICE, it rained all night in Queensbury.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis