classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
20 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Speculation: 3/29/14

Skidds
This post was updated on .
Forecasts now calling for upwards of a foot or more Saturday night into Sunday.  Heavy, dense snow.  Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Speculation 3/29

Skidds
This post was updated on .
Looks like QPF for the northeast from NYC up through the Dacks for the storm that now seems to be coming across the Ohio Valley and up the coast late Saturday is expected to be between 1 and 2 inches.  As heavy wet snow in the northern Dacks that could make what was going to be a good spring epic.  If that is mostly non frozen precip in the Cats it would be a shame.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Open snow is on the fence on this one but if it does pan out it will favor northern Daks and greens
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Haven't been in the back country for several weeks now (making me very testy) but the last time I was there there were many unstable layers to the snow pack, we need warm weather before we need another layer. But more snow will mean more corn when the warm weather comes.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This just in from Lionel:
http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/happy-effin-spring/

Lionel Hutz wrote
Looking at this square, I’d say its looking very likely that from Saturday night through Monday AM, the mountains of VT, NE NY and parts of NH will see a substantial snowfall. Currently I’m leaning towards a very wet and heavy 6-12″ of snow above 2500...
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
The watch for Gore area went from 1-3 to 6-12. This storm looks really tricky with the temps. Could be a winner or could be a wash out. I only have one day to ski this weekend. I'm thinking Sunday is the better choice at this point.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
for the upper elevations 1-2 ft looks likely.. dacks and greens...cats don't look good..
real tricky forecast..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Open snow just took the 2 feet for WF out which means it all will be rain
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
new data just came in warmer..
this one is a total crap shoot..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Craps is a game tilted to the house.  Think we are going to get busted
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
Craps is a game tilted to the house.  Think we are going to get busted
Maybe for a late season pow-fest but this looks like it is setting up for great corn next weekend. I think I'll go up to the Garden tomorrow and see what a few of my favorite slides are looking like - see where I want to spend next weekend. With temps getting close to 50 next week, this could stabilize everything.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Well, my favorite weather sites  are NOAA, for the forecast discussion, and Mountain-Forecast.com for info at elevation.  Both are calling now for 3-6 inches for northern NY, with little non-frozen precip, maybe some sleet mixed in.  While 1 to 2 feet would have been nice, a 3-6 snow sleet mix would be a nice pickup this time of year.  Let's hope it pans out.  

I'm stuck in Hartford all weekend, so I'm currently in New Hartford, CT on a 4 hour ticket at Ski Sundown.  Temp when I arrived was 36, things were firm and just starting to soften when beer o'clock arrived.  Gunny bumps should be soft when I get back out.  Expecting r^*n here, just cloudy now.  While the QPF seems to be down, this isn't going to be good for the Berkshires, Cats and Southern VT.  Inch of r^*n,  yuck.  For the high peeks of the southern Daks (Gore) and central VT (Sugarbush, etc.) they may be OK.

Fingers crossed.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
About 3-4" on the ground here in Lake Placid. Expecting to find more at WF today.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
6:56 am update on site says 8 inches.  Wonder if they got more up top.  They are reporting a lower temp at the summit, which could have squeezed out more.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skidds wrote
6:56 am update
Cool!  But I don't see it?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Check out the amazing piece of technology that WF has, it's called a WEBCAM, and you can actually see it snowing

Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Skidds wrote
6:56 am update
Cool!  But I don't see it?
I call it the 6:56 update....as that is when the comment regarding 'Slides as patrol discretion' was added.  So I assume the conditions report went up at 6:56....and it says 8 inches overnight.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
here along the St Lawrence just finished plowing a good foot in my driveways and walks , heavy wet stuff !
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
The rain started at Stratton 5pm Saturday night and continued all day today. The upper mountain was closed due to ice.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
What a weird storm, I heard the sleet pelting the side of the house Sunday afternoon, looked outside about 7 PM, or so, about two inches of snow. When I awoke at 5, there was a good foot in the driveway. I ended up blowing off work to ski Greek, I picked up Big D along the way, 6 miles to the West, he got 4". Greek got zip. I live in Conklin NY, a suburb of Binghamton. Endicott, 20 miles to the West, got nothing either.