classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storm Speculation: 3/6 - 3/7/11

sudsnbumps
This post was updated on .
Here we go folks...NWS Albany...please note the last paragraph.  This may not end up as bad as many forecasters are calling for, with a quick recovery.  There is a lot of snow to absorb the rain in the dacks and then snow on the back end could make for a durable base coming into the "silly season"  I am looking forward to tomorrow at Gore and I will probably drive up Sunday if we don't get a deluge overnight.

POCKETS OF WINTRY MIX INCLUDING FREEZING RAIN...SLEET AND SNOW ARE POSSIBLE SATURDAY MORNING ESPECIALLY OVER THE ADIRONDACKS AND ADJACENT FOOTHILLS ASSOCIATED WITH A COMPLEX STORM SYSTEM.

THIS SYSTEM MAY ALSO BRING HEAVY RAINFALL TO MUCH OF THE REGION FROM LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. THE COMBINATION OF HEAVY RAIN AND WARMING TEMPERATURES MAY RESULT IN SNOW MELT ADDING ADDITIONAL RUNOFF TO CAUSE RISING RIVER LEVELS...ICE BREAKUP AND ICE JAMS WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING. HOWEVER THERE IS STILL UNCERTAINTY AS TO HOW MUCH RAIN WILL FALL AND HOW MUCH RUNOFF WILL OCCUR FROM SNOW MELT. IF CONDITIONS BECOME MORE CERTAIN FOR HEAVY RAIN AND SIGNIFICANT SNOW MELT...A FLOOD WATCH WOULD BE ISSUED.

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW IS POSSIBLE SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY... ESPECIALLY NORTH AND WEST OF THE CAPITAL REGION. THERE IS STILL CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY REGARDING THE POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL. PLEASE STAY TUNED FOR FURTHER UPDATES.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saturday?

JasonWx
After Saturday nights deluge , there is a good chance for a period of moderate to heavy snow for the Northern Adk's and Northern Greens and Whites. As of now the bulk of the snow will be confined to the Northern areas...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Saturday?

MC2 5678F589
Accuweather says Whiteface is supposed to get 15 inches . . .
Reply | Threaded
|

Storm Speculation: 3/6 - 3/7/11

Harvey
Administrator
Pretty decent little season we've got going here.  

At Hickory yesterday there was talk of instigating a Plattekill type mid-week Powder Day policy.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storm Speculation: 3/6 - 3/7/11

JasonWx
still think the bulk of the snow will be from Gore on north..As of 8am it's 45 in North Creek with a steady rain.
My first guess would be 4-8 for Gore , Whiteface 12-18 and the Northern Greens 12-24+
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps

It's got to be snowing at the top by now...34 degrees in North Creek at noon
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
Pretty decent little season we've got going here.  

At Hickory yesterday there was talk of instigating a Plattekill type mid-week Powder Day policy.
Magic does mid-week powder days as well.

Look at the tight gradient on that map! It is showing the difference between a foot and nothing at just only a dozen miles in central NH. Not sure I quite buy that big of a cut off but I am glad to see all my favorite areas pretty much within the jackpot zone!
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
It's dumping up here!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I guess we are a bit beyond speculation.

Nice call by Jason. Regardless of what happens, the radar has looked like this for over an hour:

...with Gore, Plattekill, Killington, and others right on the edge.

Looks like there is some "training" going on.... should be interesting even if it lasts half as long as predicted.

I agree with River on the cut off. I think the model has a harder time measuring mixed precip?

The whole thing is pretty impressive:

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Lots of NCP today, it turned over to light snow around 1:30. I just went outside and there's 4 inches of surprisingly lighter weight snow. Snowing hard now.  20 degrees. Yea!
Reply | Threaded
|

NorEaster27
how much rain did gore get on saturday?  Saw reports of over 2.50 inches of rain around Speculator.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
FWIW, .91 inches of rain here at x18.....But 4 inches of snow followed and more coming down!!!! Ski day tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
10 inches this morning. Still snowing good.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
Almost 2' and still dumping!!!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

rfarren
Whiteface is reporting 18-24 inches and is calling for at least 7 more inches!!!! 

Joe Bastardi said this march would be snowy for the mountains... Let's hope he continues to be right. I'm looking forward to skiing in april!
Rob
Reply | Threaded
|

70s Gore Kid
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Syracuse, NY
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I heard 30" - 34" at Jay and it's still coming down. My friend just got a house up there for the week.

He was up there valentines of 07 too. He seems to get lucky with his storms!
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Shoveling 10"-11" of heavy crud and mashed potatoes at my house in Saratoga much of the day.  So much for March storms.

Got out for a ski and ran the dog around 5PM and had first tracks at the local nature preserve.  Nice way to finish the day.  If the snow stays around I can even do it after dinner next week when we're on EDST.