classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stowe Conditions

nepa
This post was updated on .
The stone hut at Stowe burnt to the ground last night.  Very sad.
I
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Looks like Stowe is blowing today too.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Stowe is pushing back a week, 11/23 projected now.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Over on this side of the pond for my sons u16 Eastern Champs

They are reporting 11” over the past couple days.  That seems accurate at the summit but it was much less lower.  Sounds like the summit of WF did much better but wife wife is only saying we have 6” in the driveway so elevation must be the key for this storm.  

They had considerably more base than WF to start with as we skied in the woods without hitting any rocks this afternoon.  We skied the woods between liftline and goat.  It ends at a spot that wears hit by a microburst a few years back.  If they cleared that out it would be amazing.  It faces due north so it would hold snow great.  

My guess is Stowe will replace the older Fixed grip triple with a HSQ to service the blue terrain on skiersright on Mansfield.  That section of the MT has some fun cruisers and good glades.

The tough part of being a race parent here is the race is on Spruce so I’ve been riding the transfer Gondi like 6 times a day.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Z wrote
Over on this side of the pond for my sons u16 Eastern Champs

They are reporting 11” over the past couple days.  That seems accurate at the summit but it was much less lower.  Sounds like the summit of WF did much better but wife wife is only saying we have 6” in the driveway so elevation must be the key for this storm.  

They had considerably more base than WF to start with as we skied in the woods without hitting any rocks this afternoon.  We skied the woods between liftline and goat.  It ends at a spot that wears hit by a microburst a few years back.  If they cleared that out it would be amazing.  It faces due north so it would hold snow great.  

My guess is Stowe will replace the older Fixed grip triple with a HSQ to service the blue terrain on skiersright on Mansfield.  That section of the MT has some fun cruisers and good glades.

The tough part of being a race parent here is the race is on Spruce so I’ve been riding the transfer Gondi like 6 times a day.
I was at Stowe on 2/26-2/28, shortly after that sh*t-show of a week with rain/60's+ weather.  Thankfully, by the time we got there, temps had settled down.  It was my first time there and for someone like myself who skis blues plus an occasional black and glades, Stowe has a lot to offer and we ended up having a really good time skiing.  

I have to hand it the Stowe groomers.  Thought they did a great job as each morning, conditions would be really good, especially in the upper half areas.

IdleTyme Brewing was really good for dinner plus they serve a most excellent bourbon drink, All Dogs Go To Evan
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
Good luck to doubleZ today!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
Good luck to doubleZ today!
Right on!!!

Go fast lil Z
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Boys had today off - study hall day. They built that into the schedule as 6 days straight of racing is too much.  Boys GS is Sunday.  ZZ had a dsq in the 1st SL where only 40% of the field could finish both runs and a 44th in the 2nd SL starting from bib 76 so a decent result for a 1st yr u16.

A Nysef girl came in 3rd today in the GS.

Forecast is for 3-7” of upslope pow tonight but I’m gate keeping so I won’t get to ski until the afternoon.  Looks like good weather for Super G Monday.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z

up slope snow turned today into a really nice pow day at Stowe.  Since I was gate keeping I didn’t have time to leave the Spruce Peak side.  There are some really nice trees hidden over there if someone tells you where to look.

Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
Spent 3 totally awesome days this week at Stowe with my family.  The storm from last week was still evident all around us as all the trails were open and in really good condition, best conditions I've skied in all season.  And going mid-week late in the season meant that there were NO LINES at the lifts!

Little side story is that on our first day, we met Harvey, an 80 year old former ski instructor, on the gondola.  We skied a few blues (Perry Merrill, Cliff Trail, and Lower Nosedive) together and he spent an hour with us giving us personal tips and instruction.  At the end, he said we were ready for a black diamond and we all skied Hayride.  On my own, I would have never have done it but Harvey was there coaching me and I made it down and had fun doing it.  Had so much fun that it gave me the confidence to tackle a few other black diamonds during our time at Stowe.

Harvey giving Amy instructions
Harvey giving my wife some tips on Perry Merrill

Top of Spruce Peak
Top of Spruce Peak

Chute down Nosedive
Headed down Upper Nosedive
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
12-25-19- Boilerplate/ice with a good amount of fine dry powdery snow on top that gets pushed to the sides as the day goes on. Lower T-Line seems to always stay nice and perfect when other trails are trashed. The thaw on 12-23 worsened the ice issue.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I like how you roll Snowflake.  Welcome and Merry Christmas.  

Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
Harvey wrote
I like how you roll Snowflake.  Welcome and Merry Christmas.  

LOL thanks Harvey! I am definitely enjoying the blog and forums here! Merry Christmas to you too!
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
21 inches since Friday, 3 feet since Wednesday

pics to come...
Reply | Threaded
|

NYSnowflake
greyMoose wrote

pics to come...
How was the traffic getting into the parking lot? And how are the lift lines and crowds on the mountain?
We went to Whiteface instead of Stowe because I was afraid that the Epic crowds would be ridiculous at Stowe.
Reply | Threaded
|

greyMoose
NYSnowflake wrote
greyMoose wrote

pics to come...
How was the traffic getting into the parking lot? And how are the lift lines and crowds on the mountain?
We went to Whiteface instead of Stowe because I was afraid that the Epic crowds would be ridiculous at Stowe.
On Saturday, we got to the lots at 9am and though busy, we got a decent parking spot to the right of the Gondola.  Heard later in the morning that the lots were totally full and Stowe requested people park in town and take the public transportation to the mountain.  On Sunday, I pulled in just after 7am and got a spot right in front of Mansfield Lodge which was nice.

Both days were busy but had just one 20 minute wait for the gondola on Saturday morning.  The rest of the waits were in the 2-10 minute range.

Total powder day on Saturday and went in to the trees for the first time at Stowe.  Was a great time but boy am I sore today.

Stowe gondi