Stowe Conditions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
37 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stowe Conditions

snoloco
Headed up there right now, should be some great skiing and "sno approved" too.

I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stowe Conditions

k123
Should be some good skiing tomorrow.  Was at smuggs today and the snow was pretty nice, a dense coating fell after the rain to freshen things up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by snoloco
Looks pretty boney
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This post was updated on .
Let us know how it goes Sno.  I expect a complete trip report with photos and perhaps a revelation or two about skiing after getting a few days somewhere besides your usual haunts.
Reply | Threaded
|

gebbyfish
We need a photo essay on the lodge.  ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
We stayed slopeside at the Inn at the Mountain.  It basically has its own private lift called the Toll House Double.  It was a bit on the long side, but an enjoyable ride.  They actually warned us that it wasn't high speed when we checked in.

It was straight to the Fourrunner quad after that.  That thing was fast, in 6 minutes we were at the top 2,100 vertical feet higher.

First run was down Lord which was a long blue groomer with steady pitch.

After another run we went to the gondola and skied down gondolier.

After taking a run on Perry Merrill, we went to the Spruce Peak side.  We skied a top to bottom run, had lunch, and then took a run on Sterling.  That trail was our pick of the day as well as Main Street and Smugglers.  All 3 had good snow, good pitch, and were all unique.  
Sterling

Main Street

All served by the sno approved Sensation HSQ.  Fast, cushy, footrests, and ski on all day.

More to come soon
Reply | Threaded
|

k123
Did a bunch of exploration above the lifts today

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Sorry, probably won't be able to post any more pictures.  They don't even upload from my phone once I have a few in a thread.  Hopefully that will change with the new forum software.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
After taking a run on Perry Merrill, we went to the Spruce Peak side.  We skied a top to bottom run, had lunch, and then took a run on Sterling.  That trail was our pick of the day as well as Main Street and Smugglers.  All 3 had good snow, good pitch, and were all unique.  
I've never skied over on Spruce, but I've heard those trails have a lot of character and are nice.  Very cool that you enjoyed that side of the mountain.  
Enjoy the rest of your stay.  Stowe really is a great mountain.  Make sure to at least sample some of the trees.  There are some really fun easy trees off skier's right of Lower National if I recall correctly.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
So how did Stowe compare to your beloved Mountain Creek? Were the chairs cushy enough to warrant a second trip?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by gebbyfish
gebbyfish wrote
We need a photo essay on the lodge.  ;)
Funny ! But ya gotta admit, that Lodge at MC is wicked sharp. If Gore had one that nice, I might actually go in it sometime. If West had one that nice, I'ld go over just to hang out.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Stowe was totally awesome yesterday.  We started at 7:45 on the Fourrunner Quad and went all the way till closing.  Everything was groomed to perfection and in great shape.  Our favorite run was Sterling and our favorite lift was Sensation, the lift that accessed it.  The only two lifts that ever had a wait were the Fourrunner Quad and the Mansfield Gondola.  The HSQ's at Spruce Peak and the Mountain Triple had were ski on all day. The terrain was some of the best I had ever skied.  It had enough pitch to make for some fast cruising, but not too steep to get in bad shape.  The trails are also all unique unlike some other places where they are all parallel to each other.  The lifts are all sno approved.  Cushy seats, high speed, and no line.  In fact, they were so fast that my dad and I were clicking runs in so fast that our legs were toast by the end.  I am debating whether to put Stowe ahead of Killington for my favorite mountain.  We will return as soon as possible.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Sno, you gonna do a trip report?

snoloco wrote
I am debating whether to put Stowe ahead of Killington for my favorite mountain.
K-mart?... not even close.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
the last remaining pile of snow at stowe has melted, rip.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex

There may be no snow at Stowe but the cold stuff that's great on a hot summer day is just down the road. Took the grand daughter on the Ben & Jerry tour. Yum
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It is good stuff over there, I really like the ice cream graveyard.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242

photo by scott b.... stowe has some firepower!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Tradewind Aviation Launches First Scheduled Flight to Stowe, Vermont in Over 30 years

Flights begin November 24, 2015 from the Westchester County Airport in New York, the New Shuttle Route Will Offer the Comfort & Convenience of a Private Charter for Cost of a Single Seat

November 9, 2015 (Oxford, Connecticut) - Tradewind Aviation, operator of both scheduled shuttle service and on-demand private charter throughout the U.S. and Caribbean, will soon launch the first scheduled flight to Stowe, Vermont in over 30 years via their scheduled shuttle service. Operating between Westchester County Airport in New York and Morrisville-Stowe State Airport in Vermont, the new route was created in conjunction with Stowe Aviation following their $27 million renovation program at the Morrisville-Stowe State Airport.  

Tradewind will be the only carrier to offer scheduled flights directly to this wildly popular ski destination and its flights will offer the comfort and convenience of a private charter for the cost of a single seat. Travelers visiting from the New York metro area typically must succumb to a commercial flight to Burlington, Vermont, followed by a one hour drive, so this direct one-hour flight gives skiers more time to hit the slopes.

“As Stowe is undeniably one of the top ski destinations on the east coast, we’re thrilled to expand our scheduled shuttle service with the launch of this new Westchester/Stowe route. We’re proud to be the first aviation company in over 30 years to offer visitors a comfortable and convenient travel option to one of the best ski destinations on the east coast,” said Eric Zipkin, President of Tradewind Aviation. “Tradewind’s scheduled shuttle service between Westchester and Stowe will mean more time on the slopes and less time in traffic and at baggage check for many travelers this ski season.”  

Added Russell Barr, CEO of Stowe Aviation: “We are delighted to welcome Tradewind to Stowe this winter and are in no doubt that their visionary Westchester-Stowe flights will be the first of many for them into the Northeast’s most popular four-season resort.”

The new route will begin just before Thanksgiving Weekend on Tuesday, November 24, 2015. Service will continue with flights departing Westchester on Friday afternoons at 3:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. and from Stowe on Sundays at 3:00 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Stowe residents traveling to the New York area for the weekend will have access to flights from Stowe to Westchester on Friday afternoons and to Stowe from Westchester on Sunday afternoons. Rates start at $350 plus tax per one-way flight and $250 when purchased in a commuter ticket book.

As with all Tradewind Aviation flights, the new route will offer the luxury and ease of a private charter, with reliable availability, no TSA security checkpoints at the airport, private gate entrance, exclusive FBO lounges, complimentary on-board snacks, drinks and checked baggage rolled into the cost of a single seat. Guests on Westchester/Stowe flights are invited to travel with ski equipment at no extra charge.

For more information or to reserve a seat onboard any Tradewind Aviation flight, please call (800)-376-7922 or visit www.flytradewind.com.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
So are they offering you a free seat anytime you want it?
I could start another fight with MC and drive up the hits, or we could let Glade & PA back in, sure to drive up hits - put these guys add on the front page and your set...

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Just got a txt from my buddy who is ranger supervisor for VT state parks in the NE Kingdom.  The Stone hut has burnt to the ground.  Very sad