45 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stowe President's Day Questions

campgottagopee
snoloco wrote
JasonWx wrote
A few years ago I was at the Bush with those conditions..They decided not to open. If a lift stops for more then 10 mins . People could be in real trouble..
Then they need to man up.  Skiing is a winter sport and it should be able to take place in winter conditions.  If Stowe does this, my parents and I will be saying "We want our money back!"
You obviously haven't been around extreme temps. They are dangerous, very dangerous.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by snoloco
Definitely worth injuring or killing a few customers to avoid giving a refund
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sno what is the coldest temp or windchill you've been in? Ever done 40 below?  Ever done it on a lift when you are unable to move to create any heat?  Ever done it with damp clothing or tight ski boots on?

I'm betting your Dad cares about you.  He's going to be the one shutting it down at those temps if the mountain doesn't. I doubt he's willing to risk your fingers or toes for $108.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
There were a couple nights at MC where wind chill hit 20 below I think, maybe more.  There was a super cold day at Plattekill and Whiteface as well.  The cold nights at MC, I just put on extra layers and took frequent breaks.  It wasn't that bad.  Mother example of the softening of society I guess.  We're going no matter what and expect to be skiing as long as the lifts can run without breaking apart and killing us.  We have over 500 dollars invested in this trip already.  We're not canceling.  My parents cannot take any time off this time of year to reschedule.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
They gave rain checks..

Cold weather like this is no joke..Frost bite is mucho painful!!!

no one said to cancel..just be prepared..

I have been with Everest climbers that wouldn't  climb in those conditions, and these dudes are hard core..
The wind will literally blow the heat away from your body..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Don't go confusing soft with smart. A little bout with some serious frost bite will change your mind.

Get yourself some hand and tow warmers. Trust me on this one and do it.
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
snoloco wrote
Mother example of the softening of society I guess.
Nonsense. Not about people being soft but about any notion that Sunday/Monday will not be absolutely brutal and may necessitate ski areas not running certain lifts. There is nothing you've skied at MC that is going to be equivalent to what you'll be feeling at Stowe.

Last really bad cold snap in early January, Wildcat shut down for the day and sent all of their guests to sister resort Attitash for the day (lower elevation and less severe wind). Attitash didn't run the slow summit triple and delayed opening on the Bear Peak HSQ. It wasn't horrible skiing but then again, it was warming up throughout the morning and was pleasant by the end of the day. Sunday/Monday is just going to be brutal the whole time.

Bundle up and be ready for lift closures. A lift breakdown requiring an evac would be absolutely disastrous in those temps so some lifts might not run as a precaution and that is legit good policy when wind chills values and temps are at near record lows.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
riverc0il wrote
snoloco wrote
Mother example of the softening of society I guess.
Nonsense. Not about people being soft but about any notion that Sunday/Monday will not be absolutely brutal and may necessitate ski areas not running certain lifts. There is nothing you've skied at MC that is going to be equivalent to what you'll be feeling at Stowe.

Last really bad cold snap in early January, Wildcat shut down for the day and sent all of their guests to sister resort Attitash for the day (lower elevation and less severe wind). Attitash didn't run the slow summit triple and delayed opening on the Bear Peak HSQ. It wasn't horrible skiing but then again, it was warming up throughout the morning and was pleasant by the end of the day. Sunday/Monday is just going to be brutal the whole time.

Bundle up and be ready for lift closures. A lift breakdown requiring an evac would be absolutely disastrous in those temps so some lifts might not run as a precaution and that is legit good policy when wind chills values and temps are at near record lows.
And by disastrous riverc0il means YOU CAN DIE!
Reply | Threaded
|

BenedictGomez
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
My family just audibled.  No skiing for the women this weekend. Looks like I'll have to go it alone.

Saturday should be okay, especially if you consider the Cats.

Sunday is NO-GO under any circumstances though, and Monday isn't much better.
Can we get SOME snow?  Please?
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
man i feel for these mnts. we finally get some great skiing and brutal cold works in. i would say that christmas week and MLK eekend were a bust for the mnts. go to the ben and jerrys factory on sunday . -40 below is not to be taken lightly
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by BenedictGomez
BenedictGomez wrote
Harvey wrote
My family just audibled.  No skiing for the women this weekend. Looks like I'll have to go it alone.

Saturday should be okay, especially if you consider the Cats.

Sunday is NO-GO under any circumstances though, and Monday isn't much better.
My wife gets cold pretty easily. My daughter just doesn't seem to fully understand when she is cold.  I think I can handle myself.

I'm thinking Hickory on Sunday. When I skied there two weeks ago it was a brutal cold day (not as bad as Sunday's forecast) and I know a lot of people didn't ski a long day. At Hickory I was warm, even sweated a bit. Surface lifts rock baby.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by sig
sig wrote
man i feel for these mnts. we finally get some great skiing and brutal cold works in. i would say that christmas week and MLK eekend were a bust for the mnts. go to the ben and jerrys factory on sunday . -40 below is not to be taken lightly
-40 degrees negative shmorty degrees.  Real skiers go out in any weather they've got.  If you can't ski because it's too cold, maybe it isn't for you.  Sell your skis, boots, and poles and use the money for a bowling ball and shoes instead or move to Florida and sit on the beach all year.  Skiing is an outdoor winter sport.  Deal with it.  We're going skiing on Sunday no matter what the conditions and we still expect to wait in lift lines cause other people will go too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Glade Runner
Banned User
Its even colder when your not skiing and waiting in line.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
snoloco wrote
sig wrote
-40 degrees negative shmorty degrees.  Real skiers go out in any weather they've got.  If you can't ski because it's too cold, maybe it isn't for you.  Sell your skis, boots, and poles and use the money for a bowling ball and shoes instead or move to Florida and sit on the beach all year.  Skiing is an outdoor winter sport.  Deal with it.  We're going skiing on Sunday no matter what the conditions and we still expect to wait in lift lines cause other people will go too.
ok tough guy. after 40 years of skiing experience i have two words for you..... "Foot Warmers"  you may want to double them up. enjoy
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Glade Runner
Ah, the exuberance of youth!  Quantity of turns over whatever quality of turns one can get facing -40 degree gale force wind chills, at mountains that may or may not be fully operational due to wind.

Might hit the bar at the Cloudspin Lounge on Sunday for one of the best Bloody Mary's around though...

I hear you regarding a trip that you can't cancel.  We are locked into going to Placid this weekend regardless of whether my leg or the cold will allow me to ski.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
In reply to this post by sig
We've got that figured out already.  We've stocked up on foot warmers and hand warmers big time and are all bringing extra layers.  I typically wear 3 layers under my coat.  I'll be wearing 4 or 5 on Sunday.  Under my ski pants, I typically wear only 1 layer.  Will be wearing at least 2 on Sunday.  When you've got good money invested in a trip, you're gonna make the most of it and prepare for whatever weather you've got.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
I assume you have a good balaclava that will completely cover your face?  Exposed skin won't fare well Sun/Mon.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Noticed that the way the wind speed is not that bad at the bottom elevation.  I think the Mount Mansfield peak shields some of the resort.  It faces southeast and the wind looks to be Northwest.  Hopefully this makes things better.  Upper level forecast is for 4,300 feet and it says 45 mph.  Gondola and Fourrunner only go to 3,600 feet and Spruce is only 3,300.  Base level forecast is 2,300 feet which is above the base of the ski resort.  That wind speed is just 8mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
I hope you don't have to take it all back
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Thacheronix wrote
I hope you don't have to take it all back
AAARRRRRRGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I DO NEED TO TAKE IT ALL BACK!!!!!!!!  I'M MAKING THAT MY SIGNATURE LINE NOW!!!!!!  GOD DAMN I SAY SO MUCH CRAP AND THEN HAVE TO TAKE IT BACK!!!!!!