Stowe - Smuggs Interconnect

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stowe - Smuggs Interconnect

campgottagopee
Looking like we'll be hitting Stowe sometime in late Feb, so we're in the planning stage. Any Stowe/Smuggs regulars know if the interconnect is still used??? Back in my day it was used, groomed and talked about. Roughly 15ish yrs ago (last time I was there) it was used, not groomed, and not talked about, but you didn't get any shit for using it. Most of our days will be spent on the Stowe side, but we do want to hit Smuggs for at least one day, and I don't feel like driving around the hill to get there. Just wondering if we needed to be in stealth  mode while crossing over, or if it's still cool  to cross the pond.

Thanks for any beta.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stowe - Smuggs Interconnect

skimore
No one will give you shit about using it. Just keep in mind they don't reciprocate passes anymore

Unless you want to purchase a pass at Stowe also, you'll have to hike up to it
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good to hear, thanks for the info. Chances are we'll have a multi-day pass at Stowe, but we'll figure that part of it out on the fly....who know's maybe the green bud pass still works . Either way it sure beats driving around.

Do you know if it's still marked??? Not that I don't know the way, was just curious how much traffic it still gets. Think one of the trails was named "Snuffy's" or something like that.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
campgottagopee wrote
Not that I don't know the way, was just curious how much traffic it still gets.
You can't miss it
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Still lots of traffic, got it.
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
 you'll have to hike up to it
Hahaha...the only skinning Campy does involves deer!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
pro2860 wrote
skimore wrote
FKNA
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
pro2860 wrote
skimore wrote
FKNA
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Huh.  That is pretty cool.  That "run" is actually a part of the long trail.  Looks like it makes Gore's traverse to the bowl a picnic.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.5538865,-72.777687,1042m/data=!3m1!1e3
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm at Stowe right now.

The "interconnect" is lame. More fun to drop off into the woods and ski down to the road, then ski the road back to Smugg's.

Also, the Bruce trail from Stowe (classic sidecountry trail, in all of Goodman's books) takes you right to the Matterhorn, which is one of my favorite ski town bars. You should do that for an adventure.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm at Stowe right now.

The "interconnect" is lame. More fun to drop off into the woods and ski down to the road, then ski the road back to Smugg's.

Also, the Bruce trail from Stowe (classic sidecountry trail, in all of Goodman's books) takes you right to the Matterhorn, which is one of my favorite ski town bars. You should do that for an adventure.
Matt, have you had a chance to investigate Trapp's BC terrain they've opened up? All interconnected to the Stowe/Ranch Valley BC trails including the Bruce etc.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote

The "interconnect" is lame.
As for the skiing part I agree, but it sure beats driving around.

mattchuck2 wrote

More fun to drop off into the woods and ski down to the road, then ski the road back to Smugg's.

Oh yes, the Birthday Bowls are some of my most fav skiing I've ever done. Being it's been sooooo many years since I've been in there I don't feel comfortable leading our crew in there. I'm hoping to run into some old, very old now, friends to take us back there. Hopefully we have good snow and that will be an option.

mattchuck2 wrote

We'll hit that fer sure if there's snow. I totally dig the Matterhorn too, great scene and vibe. I did get booted out of there once tho  ---- wonder if they'll remember me.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
campgottagopee wrote
We'll hit that fer sure if there's snow. I totally dig the Matterhorn too, great scene and vibe. I did get booted out of there once tho  ---- wonder if they'll remember me.
I was with a pack of gentlemen at the Matterhorn in the 1980s and we got tossed - actually they asked us to leave as there was no way they could have tossed us. After that we called it the Anti Matterhorn

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
x10003q wrote
campgottagopee wrote
I was with a pack of gentlemen at the Matterhorn in the 1980s and we got tossed - actually they asked us to leave as there was no way they could have tossed us. After that we called it the Anti Matterhorn
1988 for me....those Stowe guys are a bunch of pussy's any_A_ways. They never did like we Smuggs guys, no sense of humor I tell ya
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
mattchuck2 wrote
I'm at Stowe right now.

Matt, have you had a chance to investigate Trapp's BC terrain they've opened up? All interconnected to the Stowe/Ranch Valley BC trails including the Bruce etc.
I believe you can get to Bolton Valley from Trapp's BC terrain too.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
What does "BC" stand for?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User