Administrator
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Stowe Snow Reporter Scott Braaten AKA powderfreak

PowderAssassin
This post was updated on .
So stowe measures their snowfall at the base?(1500 feet) and they average over 300 inches a year at that elevation? Did I hear that correctly? lol

What non mogul trails does stowe leave ungroomed after a overnight powder dump? It's all the woods. They have a ton of blue trails. Do they leave most of them ungroomed in the morning?(don't start with not steep enough because grand targhee would have to groom their entire mountain if that was the case) Because there aren't that many blacks and I don't think the fresh pow would last that long on just a few blacks. Most mountains on the ec tend to groom most of their trails because most ec skiers don't know what to do with powder. Customers who can't ski powder(99% of ec skiers) complain to management if everything isn't cordoroy especially at expensive large corporate yuppie resorts.(ie opposite of magic mountain) Is it different this far north?

Harvey...-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He didn't school me at all. He really offered nothing to counteract the obvious climate stations I listed. He works for a resort. He's hardly not biased. I don't blame him. It's his job. He said snowfall increases as you go further north...duh along the spine. Duh. Never argued that. He said there's upslope effect on the spine...duh....I listed specific data/climate maps/spotter reports/climate stations. A whole shitload of data and he just discusses some basic climatology of the area that no one argued otherwise. Upslope effect can equal 250 inches or 500 inches or 150 inches. It can be anything. Saying there's upslope effect is irrelevant to the argument that climate stations in the area/burlington nws snowfall maps don't match what's being reported in NVT. Also, to compare nvt to colorado is a joke when it comes to snowfall. So much evidence, it's almost laughable. Clearly, NVT is snowiest along with tug hill. I simply find it hard to believe that get 125 inches more snow per year than tug hill and the stations nearby obviously don't confirm that type of snowfall. I'm not even saying NVT doesn't get more snow tug hill by  A LITTLE. But that huge gap just doesn't seem right to me.

It's also laughable you debating me and you don't let me answer you due to posting restrictions. Give me a break pal. I also love your personal shots at me when I make none towards you.

Oh and who on here would be crazy enough to pay 108 bucks for one day of skiing? It's a disgusting rip off. And you're forced to pay at the window if you want to make sure conditions are good/go on a powder day.

Also, since he only checks the snowboard every 24 hours, couldn't a lot of snow drift onto the board?
14-15 Season:

11-22 Snow Ridge (opening day 35")          1-7 Snow Ridge (10")
11-28 Grand targhee                                  1-8 Telluride(12 inches)
11-30 jackson hole(10 inches)                      1-9 Whistler(12 inches)
                                                                  1-11 mt bactchelor(20 inches)
12-7 Vail(15 inches)                                      1-12 Mt baker(30 inches
12-10 Whistler(20 inches)
12-12 Whistler helisking(bottomless)
12-14 Big Sky(27 inches)
12-15 Mammoth(24 inches)
12-18 Kirkwood(50 inches)
12-21 Alta(37 inches)
12-22 Grand targhee(40 inches)
12-26 jackson hole(26 inches)
12-28 Chugatch backcountry(bottomless powder)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
As Scott mentions in the video, they measure snow in two places, at the base and about 600 feet from the top of the lifts. His process is IMO much more scientific/accurate than anyone else in the east.

BTW this is the same guy who schooled you here:

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Jay-Peak-Story-tp4049665p4049763.html

This is a very cool video. Maybe confine your skepticism to the Tug Hill thread?

Can't wait to see skimore's pics from the weekend.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Zippy
In reply to this post by Harvey
I like that video!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I wish other areas used their snow measuring techniques...

Scott's the real deal. Weather and snow is his life..He's not BSing the reports.
"Peace and Love"