Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stratton 1/7/12 and 1/8/12

x10003q
This post was updated on .
 Sunrise 
Stratton Sunrise

The Stratton snow report claimed 57% of the mountain was open or almost 300 acres. It seemed accurate. Saturday was warm and sunny until late morning. The conditions first thing were excellent. The clouds rolled in around noon but the temps reached the low 40s. This kept the snow conditions soft even in the high traffic areas. Most of the trails were not crowded.

View from the Lodge

Stratton Village

Most of the morning was spent high speed cruising on a variety of empty trails. The sun was blazing and we were skiing on hero snow.

Black Bear

Polar Bear

My sister on Upper Middlebrook

We skied down to the Sun Bowl and enjoyed skiing the Sunriser Supertrail without having the trail messed up with the Super Pipe and all the gigantic jumps from the Sunriser Park. It has been too warm to blow snow to create the park.

Sunrise Express 6 plus the Sunriser Supertrail

It looked like a normal winter at the top except the signs were too high.

Summit - elevation 3875 feet

Once the clouds rolled in and the light became flat we had to slow down a little. The trails were still pretty empty if you knew where to look.

Lower Spruce

Lower Switchback

There seemed to be a lot of people at the base  but the place was not crowded.

Base Lodge for the regular people

This is a view of the Snow Bowl FGQ with the trails Lift Line and Spruce.

The Lift Line trail with snow guns ready for colder temps

Sunday was cloudy with periodic flurries. The temp was in the 20s and got lower throughout the day. There was a biting wind no matter where you were on the mountain. Stratton was able to turn the guns on in various locations, but none on the trails that were open. Conditions were firm to icy and despite the lack of skier traffic, the trails were skied off by 10am.

Entrance to North American

Snow guns on Liftline

We skied until 1:30pm and then started the ride home as another great ski weekend comes to a close.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stratton 1/7/12 and 1/8/12

jimvdak
Nice report! Ive only been to Stratton once (opening week last year) and with only 6 or so trails open i fell in love with the place...
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

patchrick09
Stratton was the first mountain i took a vermont trip to, i remember being a 11 or 12 year old scared of getting lost on such a big mountain. Absolutely loved the place even tho not to many trails where open do to over night ice storms.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by x10003q
Ok I'll bite ... "base lodge for regular people?"

Looks like the same story across the east, great conditions on Saturday, tougher on Sunday.

Nice pics. Margo Rocks.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Harvey44 wrote
Ok I'll bite ... "base lodge for regular people?"

Looks like the same story across the east, great conditions on Saturday, tougher on Sunday.

Nice pics. Margo Rocks.
Thanks. I have a picture of the other lodge.

Stratton Mountain Club
If you have to ask...........