Stratton, VT Feb 11, 2015

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stratton, VT Feb 11, 2015

nelsap
I hit up Stratton after the last big storm. They had received about 14" of new, soft powder. The trails were "groomed" but the snow was so soft that if you carved, you would immediately produce a huge rut. Within an hour, any groomed trails were full of chopped up powder that did take a lot more energy to ski in. Temps were in the 20's, the sun was out, and it was a good day.

I enjoyed hitting up Stratton's new 4000' glade, West Pilot. It doesn't look like much on the trail map, but it is far longer than you'd think. The pitch is intermediate, and the trees in there were beautiful - perfectly space, along with lots of soft snow. My kind of glade!

I know some of you are not the biggest fans of Stratton - but if you ski there midweek, you can usually find a deal on their website or liftopia- my ticket was $49. You can get in a ton of cruising, and there are interesting trails to be found.

Enjoy some pics, JD

Lower Downeaster, one of my favorite trails

Frank's Fall Line

New Gondola Cabins

West Pilot Glades

West Pilot

West Pilot
Jeremy Davis Founder, New England / NorthEast Lost Ski Areas Project www.nelsap.org
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stratton, VT Feb 11, 2015

jimvdak
Looks like a good day! I love Stratton for their intermediate gladed terrain - still getting comfortable in the trees.  
*~It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport.~*  -Fridtjof Nansen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by nelsap
Trees look nice.

4000 foot glade is awesome.

Or maybe epic?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Harvey wrote

Or maybe epic?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Or maybe epic?
Lets keep this in perspective .Twister glade can be skied for 4000ft
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Nice report.

There are actually 2 different entrances/exits to the West Pilot Glades. The shorter glade is nearest the West Meadow trail. The longer glade is more difficult. They are both a lot of fun.

Lower entrance

In the glade