Sugarbush Conditions

47 messages Options
ml242 ml242
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Sugarbush Conditions

Damn was it good up there, but It was good everywhere this weekend. I feel so bad for anyone that likes skiing that couldn't make it out this weekend.

Castlerock first chair was sheer joy. Skied Middle Earth because my brother wasn't feeling lift line first thing. It was so quiet and blown in with the 2" plus wind. Epic trofts in every bump. Got down to the bottom and there was no line so we did it again. And then again. Which was weird cause the lot was PACKED!

Did everywhere have a huge crowd this weekend?

Anyway, my brother set a land speed record driving home so we had plenty of time for unrushed beer while watching mlb highlights. Life is so good.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Re: Sugarbush Conditions

The bush delivered today. A guy on the chair made a joke to me about being glad not to be at the marathon in the crowd and instead on an empty hill. A few hours later, a bomb detonated.  Hard to ever want to get in a crowd again. What horrible news. There are some sick people out there. I hope people's lives and this country can both heal.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sugarbush Resort Begins Snowmaking

Warren, VT (November 6, 2013) – Sugarbush Resort began snowmaking this past Sunday in preparation for a planned opening day of Saturday, November 23rd.

Snowmaking crews commenced their work on Jester, the intermediate trail that runs from the top of the Lincoln Peak all the way to the base area. While temperatures remained low, crews continued making snow into the early part of the week, turning to include Coffee Run and Lower Downspout. The resort aims to open with top-to-bottom skiing via Jester, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Lower Jester and Coffee Run.

The first snowmaking of the season at the resort comes after a series of new upgrades to the snowmaking system. Over the summer, the resort added 76 new HKD snowmaking guns on Stein’s Run, Upper Organgrinder, and Downspout. The resort also purchased 12 Snowlogic 4 stage towers. These upgrades come on the heels of recent expansion in 2011 that included the installation of 40 Snowlogic towers at Mt. Ellen, in partnership with Green Mountain Valley School.

“This latest investment will allow us to make more snow, on more trails, earlier in the season, than we have been able to do in the past,” said John Hammond, Vice President of Mountain Operations.

For more information on snowmaking plans and improvements, please visit sugarbush.com or contact John Bleh at 802-583-6814 or jbleh@sugarbush.com.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Loud wind. Rain on the roof. -1 on the hill tomorrow. Good grief.
Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

Bummer. Seems like a repeat of my trip last year. I am headed there this weekend. Hopefully some fresh comes along on Thursday night.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

3" dust on ice cube. Still snowing a bit. At least it looks nice.
Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

Thanks ML. I guess that's better than just "ice cube":). Not looking like much is going to change this week. Who knows though. There's always American Flatbread to look forward to.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

It snowed an inch or two again last night at the summit and they didn't bother to report it, the wind pushed everything off. They were making some high quality stuff on the Cliffs, and I skied it a bunch. At least that man made should stick around (trying to look on the bright side!).

Adk Jeff Adk Jeff
Reply |

Skied at Gore on Saturday and then at Sugarbush on Monday.  There was a pretty striking difference in conditions.  Both areas endured the same rain/thaw back around 2/21, Bush recovered to much better conditions.  Trees are in play at Bush, shut out at Gore.
Here's a pic of natural snow conditions at Gore on Sat (Powder Pass, note the shine):

Here's a pic of natural snow conditions at the Bush on Mon (Lift Line):

and Paradise:

Bush had around 7 inches of new snow in the 72 hours before we skied on Mon.  Gore had 1 to 2 inches in the 7 days before we skied on Sat.  Season-to-date is 170 inches at Bush, half that at Gore (that's a SWAG, I don't have the exact number).

Go ahead and tar-and-feather me for my disloyalty to New York, but Northern Vermont's natural snow advantage makes a big difference, especially in a sketchy year like this.

I'm not about to switch home mountains, but we had a pretty great day on Monday.  There's a trip report and photos on my blog.  The Bush has been having a pretty tough go of things this winter, but none of that mattered on Monday as we had 100% of the mountain open, in good condition, and to ourselves on a bluebird (but cold) day.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Today's sneak attack 6" puts the Bush in the running for best day of the season. No hellacious Saturday lines, good company, and a little bit of this:

(there's a skier in there, I swear)