Sugarbush Conditions

66 messages Options
ml242 ml242
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Re: Sugarbush Conditions

are you sticking around for a second day?
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Man that place is awesome.  Thanks for the photos!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Marcski Marcski
Reply |

Were the woods in play?
Skiray Skiray
Reply |

Marcski wrote
Were the woods in play?

I was going to ask the same thing. We are thinking of hitting MRG during the kids winter break. The kids have passes there we have yet to use - and we have 4 days. Thinking of maybe hitting a day at Sugarbush as the only time we have ever skied there has been in the spring - usually passing it up to ski MRG.

Harvey Harvey
Reply |

I am guessing any info from yesterday will be null and void next Wednesday.
ADmiKe ADmiKe
Reply |

Pouring rain yesterday followed by 1" overnight. Decided to drive from NJ to Sugarbush for the POW!  Frozen over with freshies in the troughs.  A few hours of skiing for free (thanks warren miller) and off to whiteface for tmrw!

Seriously though not too bad considering...and it was free....
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Sugarbush Snowmaking Slated to Begin Thursday

Warren, VT (November 2, 2016) – Sugarbush Resort plans begin snowmaking for the 2016-17 winter season at the end of this week. The mountain operations team will make the decision to begin on Thursday night or Friday morning, depending on temperatures. Which trails will be opening will depend on weather leading into Opening Day on Saturday, November 19th.

In addition to its snowmaking plan, Sugarbush has installed a snow stake webcam near the summit of Lincoln Peak to measure snowfall throughout the season. The resort has already seen 20” of natural snow since October.
Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

In reply to this post by ml242
Saw on Facebook last night that they will be 100% open at both Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen on Friday.

I've been watching their snow totals and making myself believe that it was all up high, marketing spin, etc. but the fact that they will be at 100% is pretty damn impressive (even if you still have to hike to Castlerock). If there is any doubt about how much more snow they get than our beloved NY mountains this is proof (at least in this case).

Here's to hoping they join the maxpass next year.
ml242 ml242
Reply |

Danzilla wrote
Saw on Facebook last night that they will be 100% open at both Lincoln Peak and Mt Ellen on Friday.

I've been watching their snow totals and making myself believe that it was all up high, marketing spin, etc. but the fact that they will be at 100% is pretty damn impressive (even if you still have to hike to Castlerock). If there is any doubt about how much more snow they get than our beloved NY mountains this is proof (at least in this case).

Here's to hoping they join the maxpass next year.
My 2c

The skiing is good in VT right now. It is nice and soft. Look at the pics of everything from the Bush to Jay and it's clear they get far more snow than WF, etc. MRG opens the single this weekend. Back to the Bush, I'd expect the natural snow trails to be a bit thin after watching the Bush play this 100% open game for a few years now. I took an a rope dropping run on Domino last year and it wasn't pretty. But obviously the marketing hype works, still I do worry that at some point someone is going to hit a water bar hard and it won't be pretty. Most likely someone skiing above their head, a little out of control, and they miss a turn and then they end up with a compound fracture and a very long day getting down from something like Castlerock without the lift spinning / close patrol.

Oh, they won't be on the maxpass either.
Danzilla Danzilla
Reply |

ml242 wrote
Oh, they won't be on the maxpass either.
A man can hope can't he? They do the four packs at a pretty discounted price. You don't think they'd jump on the bandwagon with all the close competition on the pass? (Okemo, Stratton, Killington, Pico, Loon)?

Totally agree that they are pushing it a bit on all natural trails. I'm sure there will be some extra signage on those trails. The fact that they have enough to open speaks volumes IMO.

We seriously considered making bush our home mountain this year. The big difference in cost is daycare for our 1.5 year old. Gore is $699 for the season (great deal) vs. bush which is $1100 for 12 day passes. We would easily get 30 days in so that would be over 3 grand vs. 699. The cost was a big barrier. Plus we have a great community of people that we ski with at gore. It gives me hunger pangs though when I see their snow reports.