Sugarbush advice?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarbush advice?

Danzilla
Heading over for skiing this Friday through Sunday.  I was there for a wedding last fall but this is the first time I will be skiing.  The weather timing doesn't look great but I have a free place to stay so its a go no matter what.

Looking for advice on "must do" terrain and best place on the mountain to brown bag/have a few pbrs from the pack.  Looks like there is a warming hut up on Castlerock that might be a good place to break.  Are they cool about bringing food anywhere else?  How about places to leave boot bags, etc?  We will be starting out from the Lincoln peak side.

Any other thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarbush advice?

Z
My brother used to work there so I know it pretty well but the last time I was there was a couple of years ago.

If we get all the rain that is forecast I would not count on the Castlerock section even being open.  Not much snow making or grooming going on in that part of the mountain.  Its sort of like a MRG section of the Bush.  The must do terrian will be the groomers and where they are blowing based on the likely snow conditions.

Allyn's lodge used to be just a warming hut but now on their web site it says they serve food there.  The lower level of the Glen House on Mt Ellen is more of a warming hut type place where you might be able to BYOB.  My recollection is that they may not be all that cool with BYOB so better keep it low key.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Go fast, take chances.  Sugarbush has some great terrain, if available, for all abilities.  Upper FIS on Lincoln has been known to be a "no-fall zone" on occasion, and the tree skiing can be sweet, if Ma Nature kicks in.  Check out Stein's, especially if they are blowing 20+ guns, it's worth freezing your feet.

Last skied Mascara Mountain with Coach Z in a PSIA clinic just before Christmas 2010, fast company.  Waitsfield is a classic Ski Town, the pillar of which is Hyde's, even though its been somewhat gentrified from past experience.  You'll probably ski better, or think you do, after visiting Vermont, it must be their beer.

All the best.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by Z
Yeah, too bad about the rain. Maybe you can find some trees, they are everywhere. That place, especially Castlerock, is awesome with snow.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Too bad you're going after this rain/thaw, my first visit to Sugarbush was the last week of January last year with my Son, it was just OK. A month later I returned on my own, they had gotten 20" over two days just prior to my arrival, it was a totally different mountain with snow.

Allen's Lodge was a cool place to hang in front of the fireplace. They must serve food only on the weekends, I had the place to myself.r
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by 64ER
64ER wrote
Last skied Mascara Mountain with Coach Z in a PSIA clinic just before Christmas 2010, fast company.  All the best.
64er - let me know when you are headed to Whiteface so we can make sure turns together
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Cornhead
I agree with Cornhead. With snow you can make the case for it being #1 in the east (if not for Whiteface). :)

Fortunately, they get a lot of it. Or, they used to before the weather got all weird.

Anyway, with the rain the lower mountain stuff looks cooked so stay high.

Game plan = 8am bravo chair. warm up laps on Steins and Grinder.

9am heavens gate. unless it's snowing then stay low and get fast pow while everyone else waits in line.

10:30am go to north. quick laps on northridge.

eat at glen house.

1pm, head back to south, laps on north lynx. excellent zone of fun skiing.

2pm, crowds wane everywhere. ski whatever you want wherever.

this gameplan will self destruct. also, sending one more pm.