classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarloaf, ME: 2/18 - 2/19/12

miker92
This post was updated on .
This past weekend, I made the 7 hour drive to Sugarloaf on a quest for better snow. Though the conditions weren't spectacular, it was one of the best ski weekends I've had all season.

The low-angle groomers were soft in the morning but would get scraped off and icy in the afternoon. I sampled some trees, where the snow was totally unpredictable. The best snow on the mountain was up at the very top, in the area they call the Snowfields. It was variable for sure- chopped up crust chunks, corn snow, and the occasional ice patch. It was still fun though, being the steepest terrain I've had access to all year. It was interesting to ski snow that was weathered and ungroomed but hadn't seen tons of skier traffic.

All pics below courtesy of Ted Battesh.

When you're up top looking down, it's steep enough that the lower mountain looks flat.

frk
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarloaf, ME: 2/18 - 2/19/12

frk
thanks for the report. new glades look enticing with lots of acreage. 7 hrs is along drive. there better be snow after that haul.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I heard all the snow's in VT???  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
ScottyJack wrote
I heard all the snow's in VT???  
And unicorn's that fart rainbows.  
Reply | Threaded
|

miker92
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
It probably is. I had to go to Sugarloaf for a conference. Not complaining though.