classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarloaf March 11-12

Z
I spent 6 days at Sugarloaf last week during u16 Eastern Champs.  My did well with an 18th in the the SG with one mistake that cost him a top 10.  He was disappointed with his other races.

I found Sugarloaf extremely well mananaged and executed.  They could use an additional HSQ out of the base on weekends but it’s fine during the week.  They actually shut some upper lifts midweekbut with the layout you can still ski everything.

They have made a serious commitment to being an experts mt with extensive goading between trails like Jay as well as opening the side country as safe.  The Mt acreage has to be one of the largest in the East and similar to western areas of mid size.  SL is in many ways similar to WF but clearly thier management team knows what makes them special and runs with it.  WF should be clearing all the crap out from btw runs like Jay and SL.

We had a storm Sunday into Monday that dumped 6-8” of thick high density snow.  It wasn’t quite enough to cover all bumps so it was tricky at times as the tops would launch you.  The trees skied great though.    I also hit The side country glades and found the closer in ones ignored for the sexier farther out routes.  I skied fresh tracks at noon.

On Monday night it nuked up slope snow for about 4 hours combined with wind blew in all the glades.  Steve Dempsey a Gore ski race dad and I made countless laps in the glades that were close to the race.  I never saw another skier in or fav glade all day until I took my son in after his race for one run.  The wind kept refreshing them all day.  It was really an epic day of skiing.  Harv gets on me for no action shots but on days like this there is no time for that plus watching races.

If you are looking for a spring trip hit the Loaf particularly if you have an ikon pass.

I then headed to Europe directly after the races.  More to come on that.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarloaf March 11-12

Hoser
Helpful!   Just purchased an ikon and will be spending some time in Maine next season!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarloaf March 11-12

Brownski
In reply to this post by Z
Great TRs Z. I’ve never been to SL but it looks and sounds great. Good score.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller