classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sugarloaf

Z
Guys I have an extra room available in a house I rented at Sugarloaf for the Eastern ski race series

If you have an Ikon pass and want to ski up there email me and we can discuss

Dates are March 7-13
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sugarloaf

Z
Filled that room

Who has been to the loaf thelast couple yrs

Hear that new glade section is great
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Nice. I was there for the first time last March for a big storm. The new cat skiing area was due to open the day after we left, so, missed it, but found a few youtube videos posted by backcountry skiers from a few years before. Pretty nice. Try to reserve a ride. It will be difficult to do more than one, because of lift logistics.

Dont be lulled into thinking that, since the place is so remote, that you'll have a powder day to yourself. I was shocked at how quickly the place got cut up on a Wednesday. There's a lot of beds at the base, and many make the drive from lord knows where.

We stayed at the Sugarloaf Inn, which has a really good bar/restaraunt that is sort of an outpost for Shipyard brewery from Portland, I think, so good draft beer, good food, cool people.

They have a funny accent up there.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
In reply to this post by Z
BB area definitely a lot of fun. When they developed it, they also cleared a ton out of CantDog, which bummed me out a bit because I liked how tight and isolated it was there. But, c'est la vie.

The whole BB area is pretty well cleared and a "ski anywhere" situation without a lot of worry---any rocks or small cliffs are pretty obvious. If you go further out along the traverse there are 1-2 little knolls to sidestep to get up. But worth a bit--while I find the lines there pretty comparable to anywhere else in the basin, it does serve to keep a few knuckleheads out.

Backside always a treat, but watch closely once you're on the traverse/runout headed towards the frontside. There are a handful of legal chutes to the right that take you into BB--plus they're pretty sporty. Otherwise you traverse around and wind up top of King Pine lift. Hit the chutes if possible. Narrow, steep, exposed. Pucker factor will likely be engaged.

As BB flattens out, start making your way skier's left. You want to get back on the main marked trails (cross haul?) prior to getting to the condos. Otherwise it's a long run out and inconvenience to get back up to ski again. As I recall, it'll get flat enough that it's obvious and you wont WANT to keep going down....veer left.