classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Summer Road Trip 2017

Brownski
This post was updated on .
This year's big family road trip didn't put quite as many miles on the truck as last year but we had just as much fun. It was all about roller coasters again. This year we started with Hershey Park in PA. It was fun. We got rained on but we were able to ride everything we wanted to.

There were some educational aspects to the place

Anthropomorphic candy is kind of creepy in my opinion

Our hotel managed not to have a room ready for us yet at 7:30 at night but we got it ironed out. There was no outright bullying involved. The boys hit the pool. We took our time with breakfast and got on the road to Cleveland. Driving across interstate 80, PA seems to go on forever.

The hotel in Cleveland was pretty nice; certainly the nicest hotel pool around.

The Yankees were in town so of course we went to the game. There were a lot of Yankees fans there.

More educational opportunities; never heard of this guy before

$2 beers until 7 PM. Yeah you had to drink Miller Lite. No complaints here

Yankees squeaked out a win. It was a great game

The next day we hit the pool again and then visited the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Yeah I know

After th HOF it was another hour's drive to Sandusky for the big event: Cedar Point Park. This place is the Mecca of eastern USA roller coastering.

We rode every roller coaster in the place. Some of them were pretty crazy. Junior was in heaven but the 11 year old was nervous. We kind of stepped him up from big to bigger to biggest. We got him on a launch coaster that blasted off at about 120 mph and went straight up about 400 feet. He loved it.

You can't forget the old smaller rides though. A good old swing ride or Matterhorn can be tons of fun too.

In Sandusky we stayed in one of those huge hotel/water park places. Say what you want. For a 15 and 11year old it's a ton of fun.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Summer Road Trip 2017

D.B. Cooper
Brownski wrote
Anthropomorphic candy is kind of creepy in my opinion

The Yankees were in town so of course we went to the game. There were a lot of Yankees fans there.

The next day we hit the pool again and then visited the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame
Anthropomorphic.....F***, where's my dictionary?

I was in Cleveland a couple of years ago.  Saw an Indians-Rangers game.  It's amazing how many Indians fans have #99 jerseys - Ricky "Wild Thing" Vaughn.

Also did the R&R HoF.  One thing that struck me - aside from the signatures from inductees, was the small piece of paper - hotel room sized - on which was written, in pencil, the original copy of the Beach Boys' God Only Knows.  Such a great song presented so modestly.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Awesome!!. Back around the turn of the century I made that drive across PA many times for a woman I proposed to but never ended up marrying.  I know that feeling on route 80.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I proposed to a woman once who said no. It sucked. Two years later she asked me about it and I told her that I didn't think I would ever propose to another woman again. She then proposed to me and I said yes and we are now married.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
Ha!
Junior thought this guy was the most distressing anthropomorphicism there.

Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Brownski, looks like a great trip. In fact, my oldest was on a camp trip to Cleveland a few days before you. Went to all of the same places as you (plus a few more I think) including an Indians game, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Cedar Point. She had an awesome time.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Harvey
I didn't see that last sentence coming.  That's great, Harv.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Marcski
Vacationing in Cleveland..Who would have thunk it..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Yeah. I was skeptical too. Cedar Point has some really big, really fast world-class roller coasters so that was the focal point. My wife at first suggested including a Cubs game. I vetoed Chicago. Cleveland was pretty nice. Who knew? Glad your daughter had fun, Marc. That's definately the best amusement park I've been to.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
I proposed to a woman once who said no. It sucked. Two years later she asked me about it and I told her that I didn't think I would ever propose to another woman again. She then proposed to me and I said yes and we are now married.
You were just playing hard to get weren't you Harv
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Cool report Broski

I went to Hershey back in 1982 --- fond memories of that place
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Cool! I went to Hershey as a kid as well. They didn't have coasters like that real tall one back then though.

The drive on 80 is long through PA but it's pretty at least. That hill country out there is some real red neck land. I remember barely understanding a gas station attendant because his accent was so thick. After PA there isn't much to look at until you get across the Missouri River in South Dakota.