Summer visit to Lake Louise/Banff

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Summer visit to Lake Louise/Banff

x10003q
We are headed to LL/Banff for a week in August. We have booked a townhouse in Canmore. Any info about day hikes, drives, restaurants, lakes to visit and other things to do would be welcome. We are hoping to get at least 1 hike in at Sunshine Village or LL. We will have our 5th grader with us.

TIA
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Summer visit to Lake Louise/Banff

timbly
There's a visitor's center in Canmore, near it's western-most exit off the highway, with helpful staff. Also the national park service has a helpful office in Banff. They can give you hiking and driving info. They've warned me off a specific hike due to reports of mountain lion exhibiting stalking behavior... I've only been up there in winter and spring, but the loop out Rte 742 from Canmore through Kananaskis Country, back up Rte 40 is beautiful (fill your car with gas before you leave Canmore). Any drive up Highway 1, including 1a to LL or Jasper is nice. Lake Minnewanka outside of Banff. Johnston Canyon.
Restaurant-wise, jeez, you'll be in cattle country, so you can't go wrong with the steaks there. My wife and I really liked http://www.wildorchidbistro.com too. Canmore and even more so, Banff, really is international, so you can get almost anything, cuisine-wise. Grocery stores are top-notch, as well.

I hope this info helps, have a great time, it's an incredible part of the world.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bear spray.

It's unlikely you will actually need it but it's going to put you at a whole lot more ease on those hikes! Griz is real scary!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by timbly
Thanks.
The wife is very nervous about crossing paths with a bear.
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by x10003q
We had a fantastic trip to Banff in 2012 with our then-11 and 13 year old kids.  We also stayed in a condo in Canmore, which was a perfect place for us.  There's a big supermarket in town, and plenty of street parking for restaurants.  The Trough restaurant there is really great. We also ate at Rocky Moutain Flatbread and Crazy Weed, were were also very good. I much preferred Canmore to Banff village.  The village in Banff was wall-to-wall people with nonexistent parking.

This was our itinerary for 6 full days;
1. Drive into Banff, ride scenic gondola, hike to waterfall behind Banff Springs hotel, lunch in town, hike up Tunnel Mountain
2.  Drive to Lake Louise - do Plain of Six Glaciers hike. Lunch at Teahouse at top.
3.  Mountain Biking at Canmore Nordic Center. Lunch in Canmore.  Do Grassi Lakes hike in Canmore to watch rock climbers
4.  Saddle and Paddle - horseback ride and whitewater rafting day in Kananaskis
5.  Johnston Canyon hike in the morning, Consolation Lake hike in Lake Moraine in afternoon.  Ride Lake Louise Gondola - we saw a bear on the slopes
6. Rainy day - Rat's Nest Cave trip in Canmore - totally worth it.  Ask CMR on this forum about the "Laundry Chute"

None of our hikes were particularly strenuous. The six glaciers hike in LL was about 6 miles and was the longest single hike we did.  As you can see, we spent about half of our time around Canmore itself - there is just so much to do there. I absolutely loved this trip and would love to go back there someday.  I think your 5th grader will love it!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
poindexter wrote
We had a fantastic trip to Banff in 2012 with our then-11 and 13 year old kids.  We also stayed in a condo in Canmore, which was a perfect place for us.  There's a big supermarket in town, and plenty of street parking for restaurants.  The Trough restaurant there is really great. We also ate at Rocky Moutain Flatbread and Crazy Weed, were were also very good. I much preferred Canmore to Banff village.  The village in Banff was wall-to-wall people with nonexistent parking.

This was our itinerary for 6 full days;
1. Drive into Banff, ride scenic gondola, hike to waterfall behind Banff Springs hotel, lunch in town, hike up Tunnel Mountain
2.  Drive to Lake Louise - do Plain of Six Glaciers hike. Lunch at Teahouse at top.
3.  Mountain Biking at Canmore Nordic Center. Lunch in Canmore.  Do Grassi Lakes hike in Canmore to watch rock climbers
4.  Saddle and Paddle - horseback ride and whitewater rafting day in Kananaskis
5.  Johnston Canyon hike in the morning, Consolation Lake hike in Lake Moraine in afternoon.  Ride Lake Louise Gondola - we saw a bear on the slopes
6. Rainy day - Rat's Nest Cave trip in Canmore - totally worth it.  Ask CMR on this forum about the "Laundry Chute"

None of our hikes were particularly strenuous. The six glaciers hike in LL was about 6 miles and was the longest single hike we did.  As you can see, we spent about half of our time around Canmore itself - there is just so much to do there. I absolutely loved this trip and would love to go back there someday.  I think your 5th grader will love it!
Thank you this.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
As mentioned to ADKJeff, I used to live there.  Here's what I advised a friend of mine a while back.....

Bow Falls:  Going toward the Springs, take a left just after the bridge at the end of Banff Ave.  It’s more of a set of rapids than a waterfall, but good for pictures.  Maybe a good place for a pic nic.  Probably worth the short drive further to the golf clubhouse.
Banff Springs Hotel:  You should be able to park and walk around.  Probably worth reading up on the history to really appreciate it.
Hot Springs $:  The reason for the hotel.  Basically a big hot tub, but with a great view.
Cave and Basin $:  I think it was being renovated when I was there, i.e. closed.  I looked quickly at the web site – seems more interesting than the hot springs.
Sulphur Mountain Gondola $:  Takes you to the top of Sulphur Mountain.  I never went up there, but lots of people do.
Surprise Corner:  Going toward the Springs, take a left onto Buffalo St. toward the Banff Center.  Maybe .75 km up that road is a sharp bend to the left.  Pull off the side and you get a view of the Springs.  It’s the picture you see on lots of calendars.
Banff Center $:  It’s an artsy-fartsy retreat but may offer some activities, e.g. at night.  I fenced (y’know, with swords) there a couple of times.
Hoodoos:  They are a tower-like rock formations seen from the top of Tunnel Mountain.  Tunnel Mtn. is accessed by Buffalo St. on the Springs end of Banff Ave. Tunnel also looks down on the Bow River and the golf course.
Norquay Drive:  The other side of the T-Can from town.  Plenty of switchbacks to get to the ski area. Different perspective, and the switchbacks are pretty cool.
Lake Minnewanka Loop:  Did this once – it goes up a hill if I recall.  I also recall there is man-made lake that buried an old town.

Going West
Highway 1A (Bow Valley Parkway):  this starts just after Banff.  It’s a different, slower road than hwy. 1; more rustic.  You’ll see birch trees that are blackened from ground to about 6’ high.  This is where elk scrape against the trees to sharpen their antlers.
The 1A stops at an intersection where going to the right takes you to L. Louise Ski Area and to the left, town of L. Louise.  Probably a good hour drive in all.  About 45 min. via T-Can.  It might be good to go one way and return the other.
Johnston Canyon $:  A walking area within a canyon.  I think there’s a campground there too.  Probably worth looking at the web site for more details.
Castle Mountain:  A parking lot to take pictures of Castle Mountain.

Lake Louise
Lake Louise Gondola $: A chondula (lift has gondolas and chairs) that goes to Whitehorn (mid-mountain lodge).  Great views of the Bow valley, L. Louise, Valley of the Ten Peaks.  They have breakfast and lunch at the lodge.
Moraine Lake/Valley of the Ten Peaks/Tower of Babel:  This valley was on the back of the old, old $20 CAD bill.  The one avalanche track is skiable about a month of the year.  I was told that your chances of survival are about 75%.
Chateau Lake Louise:  Worth walking around.  Canoe rentals.
Tea House:  there is a walk (I hesitate to really call it a hike) to the right of the lake that will take you to an alpine tea house.  This gets you close to the glacier.
Highway 1A:  The 1A continues from here toward Field, B.C.  A short drive down the road is….
Great Divide:  The point at which water flows into either the Pacific or Arctic oceans.  Side note – the Arctic Watershed is the point where water flows into either the Arctic or Atlantic oceans.  There is a point where the Watershed and Divide meet – it’s in Montana.  I forgot the name.

Some Dining Options in Louise
Hostel:  There is a dining room in the L. Louise hostel.  Probably the most reasonable.  From the highway, right at the 4-way stop.
L. Louise Train Station: There are dining rooms in the old train station and in an old train car.

Toward Field, B.C.
From the 1A (L. Louise westward) is Lake O’Hara.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_O%27Hara).  I’ve heard this area is very nice.
Spiral Tunnels:  Because of the steep inclination, the rail line actually spirals in a mountain to lessen the elevation change. Given the right time you can see a train going into the tunnel and, simultaneously, exiting the tunnel much higher up.
Takkakaw Falls:  Can drive to it
Burgess Shale:  There was an interpretive sign just off the highway that described the Burgess Shale.
Emerald Lake Lodge:  Shortly after Field, B.C. there is a road to E.L.L. By the side of the lake and very secluded.  Could be good for a meal or tea.
Natural Bridge:  Almost spanning the river is a rock formation that looks remarkably like a partially completed bridge.

Toward Columiba Icefields/Jasper
Make sure you have plenty of gas – it’s a solid 2 hr. (maybe 2.5 hour) drive from Louise to the Icefields.  There is only one place to stop – the Saskatchewan River Crossing.
Peyto Lake:  Just off the highway.  Spectacular view.  It’s worth the short walk up to where the buses park.  I found that these emerald lakes are much more colourful if the sun is out.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Dude, just saw on the news that the FBI has closed the file on your case.

Post Away !!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
As mentioned to ADKJeff, I used to live there.  Here's what I advised a friend of mine a while back.....

Bow Falls:  Going toward the Springs, take a left just after the bridge at the end of Banff Ave.  It’s more of a set of rapids than a waterfall, but good for pictures.  Maybe a good place for a pic nic.  Probably worth the short drive further to the golf clubhouse.
Banff Springs Hotel:  You should be able to park and walk around.  Probably worth reading up on the history to really appreciate it.
Hot Springs $:  The reason for the hotel.  Basically a big hot tub, but with a great view.
Cave and Basin $:  I think it was being renovated when I was there, i.e. closed.  I looked quickly at the web site – seems more interesting than the hot springs.
Sulphur Mountain Gondola $:  Takes you to the top of Sulphur Mountain.  I never went up there, but lots of people do.
Surprise Corner:  Going toward the Springs, take a left onto Buffalo St. toward the Banff Center.  Maybe .75 km up that road is a sharp bend to the left.  Pull off the side and you get a view of the Springs.  It’s the picture you see on lots of calendars.
Banff Center $:  It’s an artsy-fartsy retreat but may offer some activities, e.g. at night.  I fenced (y’know, with swords) there a couple of times.
Hoodoos:  They are a tower-like rock formations seen from the top of Tunnel Mountain.  Tunnel Mtn. is accessed by Buffalo St. on the Springs end of Banff Ave. Tunnel also looks down on the Bow River and the golf course.
Norquay Drive:  The other side of the T-Can from town.  Plenty of switchbacks to get to the ski area. Different perspective, and the switchbacks are pretty cool.
Lake Minnewanka Loop:  Did this once – it goes up a hill if I recall.  I also recall there is man-made lake that buried an old town.

Going West
Highway 1A (Bow Valley Parkway):  this starts just after Banff.  It’s a different, slower road than hwy. 1; more rustic.  You’ll see birch trees that are blackened from ground to about 6’ high.  This is where elk scrape against the trees to sharpen their antlers.
The 1A stops at an intersection where going to the right takes you to L. Louise Ski Area and to the left, town of L. Louise.  Probably a good hour drive in all.  About 45 min. via T-Can.  It might be good to go one way and return the other.
Johnston Canyon $:  A walking area within a canyon.  I think there’s a campground there too.  Probably worth looking at the web site for more details.
Castle Mountain:  A parking lot to take pictures of Castle Mountain.

Lake Louise
Lake Louise Gondola $: A chondula (lift has gondolas and chairs) that goes to Whitehorn (mid-mountain lodge).  Great views of the Bow valley, L. Louise, Valley of the Ten Peaks.  They have breakfast and lunch at the lodge.
Moraine Lake/Valley of the Ten Peaks/Tower of Babel:  This valley was on the back of the old, old $20 CAD bill.  The one avalanche track is skiable about a month of the year.  I was told that your chances of survival are about 75%.
Chateau Lake Louise:  Worth walking around.  Canoe rentals.
Tea House:  there is a walk (I hesitate to really call it a hike) to the right of the lake that will take you to an alpine tea house.  This gets you close to the glacier.
Highway 1A:  The 1A continues from here toward Field, B.C.  A short drive down the road is….
Great Divide:  The point at which water flows into either the Pacific or Arctic oceans.  Side note – the Arctic Watershed is the point where water flows into either the Arctic or Atlantic oceans.  There is a point where the Watershed and Divide meet – it’s in Montana.  I forgot the name.

Some Dining Options in Louise
Hostel:  There is a dining room in the L. Louise hostel.  Probably the most reasonable.  From the highway, right at the 4-way stop.
L. Louise Train Station: There are dining rooms in the old train station and in an old train car.

Toward Field, B.C.
From the 1A (L. Louise westward) is Lake O’Hara.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_O%27Hara).  I’ve heard this area is very nice.
Spiral Tunnels:  Because of the steep inclination, the rail line actually spirals in a mountain to lessen the elevation change. Given the right time you can see a train going into the tunnel and, simultaneously, exiting the tunnel much higher up.
Takkakaw Falls:  Can drive to it
Burgess Shale:  There was an interpretive sign just off the highway that described the Burgess Shale.
Emerald Lake Lodge:  Shortly after Field, B.C. there is a road to E.L.L. By the side of the lake and very secluded.  Could be good for a meal or tea.
Natural Bridge:  Almost spanning the river is a rock formation that looks remarkably like a partially completed bridge.

Toward Columiba Icefields/Jasper
Make sure you have plenty of gas – it’s a solid 2 hr. (maybe 2.5 hour) drive from Louise to the Icefields.  There is only one place to stop – the Saskatchewan River Crossing.
Peyto Lake:  Just off the highway.  Spectacular view.  It’s worth the short walk up to where the buses park.  I found that these emerald lakes are much more colourful if the sun is out.
Thank you and Snowballs is right - the Seattle FBI Office just closed the book on your case.