classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sundance, UT 01/11/16

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Heading south from Salt Lake on I-15, you drive for dozens of miles along a hideous never-ending strip mall framed by snow-capped mountains. Just when your eyes are about to melt, you come to gorgeous Provo Canyon (watch out for all the radar gun-wielding troopers) and turn into a small entrance road.

Within two miles, you arrive at what I consider the most scenic and intimate of the northern Utah ski areas: Sundance.

Base lodge:

Lower lift framed by Mount Timpanogos

Stolen From Plattekill?

While the ski area claims 2,150 vertical feet, it's not continuous, but that's the cool thing about Sundance: how many surprisingly short but nicely pitched shots (and often quite steep) there are all over the place. Bishops Bowl:

Lower Bishops Bowl:

Similar to Snowbasin, there are lots of beautiful natural halfpipes, some of which go on for a while.

While standing at the top of Redfinger Ridge, I thought back to my previous visit to Sundance, ten years ago to the week (and virtually nothing has changed there since then), when I scored a perfect 14-inch overnight dump that I only had to share with about 50 other people. When I get home, I'll dig out and post those pix: easily a Top Ten ski day for me. Redfinger Ridge:

Because there were so few people, I couldn't take too many in-action shots and the ones I have here don't convey how striking it is. Take my word for it -- the next time you're out here, save a day for Sundance.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sundance, UT 01/11/16

Chris
Looks like a neat spot!  Were you able to find any stashes?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Awesome TR James.  Great story telling along with great pics.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Looks like a nice intimate place without the pressure of the thundering hordes..

Did you see Redford?!?
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Chris
Chris wrote
 Were you able to find any stashes?
Sundance got a lot of early-season snow that the more northern UT areas didn't so they have a big base, but it didn't look like they had received much snow in the last five days or so. I was able to find a few hidden spots where I could connect five or ten untracked turns, but most of it was soft, dry chop. Beggars (we northeasterners this season) can't be choosers!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
That place looks cool. i really want to ski there my next time visiting that area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
In reply to this post by Jamesdeluxe
Jamesdeluxe wrote
While standing at the top of Redfinger Ridge, I thought back to my previous visit to Sundance, ten years ago to the week (and virtually nothing has changed there since then), when I scored a perfect 14-inch overnight dump that I only had to share with about 50 other people. When I get home, I'll dig out and post those pix: easily a Top Ten ski day for me.
Here are the pix from January 2, 2006 -- as my mother would say, "put that in your pipe and smoke it!"

Bishops Bowl:

1 pm: Bishops Bowl Tracked Out:

Grizzly Bowl:

Far East Ridge:

Base Area:

Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Wow. Those are some great shots. Bob R has a true paradise.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks for posting this. I have never been there but have wondered what it was like. Now I want to go and see for myself. There are a few smaller places like this that I want to go to scattered across the West.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.