Sunny days at Sugarbush

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sunny days at Sugarbush

onscott
A friend rented a condo at Sugarbush and invited me to join him (no charge) and a bunch of guys for some skiing.  Headed up early on Wednesday and started at Mt. Ellen (Sugarbush North for us old timers).  Didn't stay too long as 2 of the 3 lifts open crapped out so I headed over to Mt. Lincoln (Sugarbush Central).  Conditions were amazing and they were blowing snow like crazy.  One of the mountain hosts said "stay away from a certain area because they are blowing snow and people are saying it's difficult skiing" so of course I head to that area.  Snow quality was perfect.

The crew arrived that night and we hit the slopes on Thursday - perfectly groomed.  Blue bird sunshine and great views - could easily see Mt. Washington 60 miles away and could also see what I believe was Whiteface (or maybe Mt. Marcy, not sure).  Castle Rock area was open as well but I know from experience not to go up there unless it has snowed a couple of feet.  Hammered at the slopes all day - was a bit of a challenge for me as the rest of the crew was between 17 and 39 years younger and I was on day two.  I think I may have earned a bit of street cred with these kids LOL!  The next morning they were all moaning about how beat up they were.

Day three (today) we started at Mt. Ellen as all of the main lifts were running.  Again, the grooming team did an amazing job and it was perfect.  The thing I love about Sugarbush is that from the top you can actually get in 2600' vertical runs - not many place on the east coast that offer that kind of non-stop vertical.

Every day was bright and sunny and it was nice to be able to see the trail as I don't have the best vision anymore.  No lift lines whatsoever.  Sugarbush is IMHO a great ski resort and I can't wait to go back!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sunny days at Sugarbush

NYSnowflake
Great report! Sunshine makes a skiing day so much more enjoyable! I can’t wait to get to Sugarbush in a month! I have only been there once, but I loved the terrain, especially those wide spaced tree runs!
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by onscott
I've been skiing Sugarbush for 30 years now, it's the first VT mountain I ever skied.  It will always be one of my favorites. Nothing beats Casterock on a pow day for me.  And mid-week there is truly sublime.  I can't wait to get back there next month.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Saratogahalfday wrote
Nothing beats Casterock on a pow day for me.  And mid-week there is truly sublime.
Totally agree.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp