Surface Ruess

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Surface Ruess

Telemark Dave
Another scaled base ("waxless") backcountry ski from Surface.  Gotta love having yet another choice. http://www.surfaceskis.com/hardgoods/backcountry/ruess/index.html
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Surface Ruess

Telemark Dave
Here's some more on them.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ewGxwSyZ-sM
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Oh, I like that.
Right between the Charger and the Vector.
Interesting scale pattern
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
The sidecut dimensions would imply its a pretty turny ski... I wonder what the flex is like as that's probably a better indicator of how nimble it would be.

The grip zone scales look like a "negative" pattern, hard to tell from pics, though.  If so, it would be a better gliding ski than a positive scaled base, but not as good at clmbing.  Hopefully more detailed reviews get posted soon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
.....though the longest length is 182, so like the Voile Vector some people are going to feel left out.  In my experience, the beauty of rockered/early rise skis is that you can ski on longer than what you're used to, the rocker gives the quickness in turn initiation, yet the length adds surface area for float, and speed in touring longer distances.

YMMV.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I was wondering about the pattern (it's in the video).

I think I favor a positive pattern. Seems to get more beat up but hey.

Fun stuff.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
I agree with TD, the pattern is -ve, as if it has been milled in to the base material. The grippy divots (technical term) look smaller than other patterns, so I question the level of grip. But sometimes less is more. I hope Lou at Wildsnow gets a pair to test out.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
You tele guys are weird, talkin 'bout scaled bases-N-shit
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
campgottagopee wrote
Camp, they'd make great hunting skis... And you can put regular (alpine touring) binders on them.  Nothing wrong with some backwoods biathlon.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Telemark Dave wrote
campgottagopee wrote
Camp, they'd make great hunting skis... And you can put regular (alpine touring) binders on them.  Nothing wrong with some backwoods biathlon.
We already have "scaled skis" for hunting......no need for wax either. Check it out!!!

No messin around with our crew....bring on that backwoods biathlon -HA
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Harvey wrote
I agree with TD, the pattern is -ve, as if it has been milled in to the base material. The grippy divots (technical term) look smaller than other patterns, so I question the level of grip. But sometimes less is more. I hope Lou at Wildsnow gets a pair to test out.
Or the Blistergear people.  Also Backcountry Skiing Canada. Both sites have done reviews on the Voiles (as has Lou).
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
campgottagopee wrote
We already have "scaled skis" for hunting......no need for wax either. Check it out!!! No messin around with our crew....bring on that backwoods biathlon -HA
Missed this, sorry Camp...That is very cool.  I'm hitting the "like" button.