This best snow website has some interesting stats

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Survey on top eastern ski resorts

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
I'd rather have Plattekill season pass than a locker at Stratton.

truth - good stuff right there!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
So 60% of your days at Whiteface have been "terrible"?  That's hilarious.  Nice avatar pic, BTW.  What kind of day was that?
That was one of the above average days... Slides weren't open, Cloudspin and Skyward were groomed and scraped, empire was closed. Skied relatively soft bumps on lookout below and soft bumps on MacKenzie, couple runs on mountain run, wilderness, Thruway was closed for racing, dipped into some trees, but it wasn't great in there (could have used about 10 more degrees to soften up)... Then I got kind of got bored... Nice weather on the deck that day, though. It's not hypocritical to have a picture of WF as my avatar either - I'd have a picture of me at Stratton or Northstar if I liked how it looked, and I despise those mountains.

I don't keep any spreadsheets, I'm mostly just ballparking, and giving my general impressions (although, like golf holes, I remember ski runs with pretty good accuracy). I like how Coach Z piled on in support of WF, and then, after that was accomplished, and someone else said they'd choose Gore over WF because of consistency, variety, and weather, Coach decided to start "moderating". Well done. We can have a Gore/WF discussion, but only if it looks like WF is "winning".

Like I said, you can't have an opinion poll and then scream about people having a different opinion than you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
I don't have anything bad to say about Gore.  In fact, I don't have anything to say about Gore.  And that says enough, doesn't it?

I last skied Gore about five years ago.  Had dinner afterwards.

The dinner was good.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
And, for the record, I do like whiteface. When it has the snow, it's definitely in the top 3 in the east, and when it has the snow AND the slides are open, it might be the best in the East.

My point was only that, if I was given 10 free passes to the mountain of my choice, using the list available, to be used within the next year (and assuming I held no season pass), Whiteface would be my 7th choice.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Noah John wrote
I don't have anything bad to say about Gore.  In fact, I don't have anything to say about Gore.  And that says enough, doesn't it?

The dinner was good.
Maybe you and I should do a trade-off this year where you show me what I'm missing at WF and I show you what you're missing at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Face4Me
Face4Me wrote
You're trying too hard!!!
TWSS!!!  YES!  Off the charts!!!  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
mattchuck2 wrote
Maybe you and I should do a trade-off this year where you show me what I'm missing at WF and I show you what you're missing at Gore.
Can I play too?

Pretty much every person I'm friends with who skis Gore says they like it better than Whiteface. Pretty much everyone I know who skis Whiteface says they like it better than Gore. They all say "well, you just need to know where to go".

When I was super into park skiing, I liked Whiteface much better. When I actually learned how to ski, I would rather be at Gore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
mattchuck2 wrote
Noah John wrote

The dinner was good.

What makes you think either one of us is "missing" anything?

Some of us like the Rolling Stones.  Others prefer Barry Manilow.  I'm not losing any sleep over that and you shouldn't either.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
 Pretty much every person I'm friends with who skis Gore says they like it better than Whiteface. Pretty much everyone I know who skis Whiteface says they like it better than Gore. They all say "well, you just need to know where to go".
 That's what you talk about when you get together with your friends?

Your friends need new friends.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Noah John wrote
What makes you think either one of us is "missing" anything?

Some of us like the Rolling Stones.  Others prefer Barry Manilow.  I'm not losing any sleep over that and you shouldn't either.
Well, that olive branch was broken in half, set on fire, and shat on. Nice.

Also, the Stones are overrated. Everything they did from 1980 on was absolute Garbage. Start me up? Please.
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I also ranked WF 6 or 7.

I love the place for all the sustained black vertical but there is not a lot of blue terrain and what there is leans toward the harder side of blue. Mix in some firm icy conditions, high speed traffic(because how Little WF drains skiers), and there goes the day for an intermediate. There are hardly any sustained green trails and none off the Gondola. We are long time Gore skiers and there is just way more variety at Gore for intermediates. This is important for the friends and family you might be skiing with who mostly don't share your need for challenge.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
mattchuck2 wrote
Also, the Stones are overrated. Everything they did from 1980 on was absolute Garbage. Start me up? Please.

I point at Goat's Head Soup as the beginning of the end. Although Some Girls has some undeniable classics.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Noah John
An olive branch?  Was I involved in some type of dispute or confrontation?  I must have blinked and missed it.

I don't really care what you think about Whiteface or pretty much anything else.  That's none of my business.  

I guess I did find it notable that you had a "terrible" experience at WF 3 out of 5 of the times you were there.  But I'm over it now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
mattchuck2 wrote
Well, that olive branch was broken in half, set on fire, and shat on. Nice.
MattChuck is on fire!

UllrFest was obviously good for you.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hmmm quite fitting (and still rocking)

Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
mattchuck2 wrote
My point was only that, if I was given 10 free passes to the mountain of my choice, using the list available, to be used within the next year (and assuming I held no season pass), Whiteface would be my 7th choice.
stats would show thats about where it would fall for chance at decent snow
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
mattchuck2 wrote
I like how Coach Z piled on in support of WF, and then, after that was accomplished, and someone else said they'd choose Gore over WF because of consistency, variety, and weather, Coach decided to start "moderating". Well done. We can have a Gore/WF discussion, but only if it looks like WF is "winning".

Like I said, you can't have an opinion poll and then scream about people having a different opinion than you.
Matt

I went back and looked at every post of mine in this thread and I do not see anywhere where I "piled" on in favor of Whiteface. I think I have gone out way to try to be impartial in this thread.  I added Gore to the survey when it was not on the SKI one you might recall.  I felt that Gore deserved to be in the conversation.

I did laugh at a funny comment because it was funny.  When you say something funny I'll give you props as well.  I must say I have wondered why your Avatar has Whiteface in it when you work at Gore.

Now Boys please play nice and no name calling or spitting at each other.  We can all go back to politely debating the merits of the ski areas now.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
Coach it aint easy bein a moderator.  Kinda like refs. You don't notice the good ones.

WF rocks but it aint everyones cup o tea.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Z
but name calling is so much more fun.

I ride with Crazy Horse!