85 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Survey on top eastern ski resorts

ScottyJack
70s Gore Kid wrote
MattChuck:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU....nice to hear from someone who skis Whiteface a lot (pass holder) and is not afraid to speak about its downsides.
50 days total / 10 years = 5 days a year...

not someone who skis the big white one a lot.  

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I dunno, I think 50 times is a lot even in ten years. Maybe not pass holder a lot, but that's more times than I've been to the movies in the past ten years, and I like the movies and they're much easier for me to get to.
Reply | Threaded
|

O, YEAH!

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
I dunno, I think 50 times is a lot even in ten years. Maybe not pass holder a lot, but that's more times than I've been to the movies in the past ten years, and I like the movies and they're much easier for me to get to.
not sure how skiing and going to the movies are relevant.  

And quite frankly I can't even image going to 50 movies in the last 10 years...  I can count on two hands and one foot the number of good movies worth going to watch over the last decade.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Noah John
Noah John wrote
 That's what you talk about when you get together with your friends?

Your friends need new friends.
D'oh SHUCKS. I better tell them now!

MC2, I think you and I should publicly call out Noah John and ScottyJack to TWO ski-offs. One at Whiteface, one at Gore. ALA relay style. For ALLL THE MARBLES. Winner gets to decide what mountain is better.

Reply | Threaded
|

jen-k
Just remember when thinking about what they overlook, this is the mag that for like 7 years put Deer Valley at the top of their list. Please. Varied? No. Don't feel left out. Feel lucky.
Reply | Threaded
|

scottymac
In reply to this post by CMR
Dear cmr,
That is exactly why we should be happy not to be ranked.  Gore is a great little secret and we benefit by the lack of crowds.  The secret will get out in the future but in the mean time whenever you see a more gore bumper sticker, remove it from the car.  Just kidding of course.
Cheers
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
In reply to this post by jen-k
Wow......I thought it was a survey about total ski experience. Doesn't that mean lodging, snow,nightlife? Maybe I'm missing something. That how Ski Mag does it. I picked Tremblant #1 for that reason. Never had a bad time there. If the snow sucks you can Party. I've been there in freezeing rain and cold, and nice powder too. Either way still had a good time.  If i'm spending my hard earned on a vacation I want a little bang for the buck.....  BTW I must be one of those rich older intermediates....Not!  I'm just old.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Raymo you are right that the survey in the magazine and mine both are measuring the total skiing experience but the difference between SKI and my survey is that I'm also trying to understand what is most important about that experience for our particular little corner of the www.  

You are measuring your vacation experience on the whole package and that is probably pretty close to what SKI does.  What is right for you may not be right for others and vice versa.  SKI uses a very set formula that measures the different catagories equally.  From the results I'm seeing NYSB users value snow quality and terrain more than lodging and Apres so if I was going to Utah I would select Alta (#25 on SKI's rankings) over Deer Valley #2.  As a result our survey results are likely going to differ widely from SKI.  The NYSB population is much more hard core than the average skier.

We are up to 46 survey's completed - thanks for the turn out guys.  Pass this on to your friends I'd love to get to 100.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Yep.  Coach z and raymo.....    total vacation ski experience...... tremblant scored #1 w me just for this reason. .       As for WF.  I gave it 6.    I don't consider a 20 minute drive " close" to the ski area for nightlife.     Or if staying in LP an easy drive to the slopes before parking.      I' m simple and all that disruption is just that.       Ski mag gives WF points for LP.   I took them away fodr being too far.      Would change my opinion if there were free busses every 15 minutes in the am and on the hr after 3pm    apologies if there are.  Have not seen or heard of them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
I:)skiing wrote
Yep.  Coach z and raymo.....    total vacation ski experience...... tremblant scored #1 w me just for this reason. .       As for WF.  I gave it 6.    I don't consider a 20 minute drive " close" to the ski area for nightlife.     Or if staying in LP an easy drive to the slopes before parking.      I' m simple and all that disruption is just that.       Ski mag gives WF points for LP.   I took them away fodr being too far.      Would change my opinion if there were free busses every 15 minutes in the am and on the hr after 3pm    apologies if there are.  Have not seen or heard of them.
There is a free shuttle between Lake Placid and Whiteface. It stops at about 6 locations along Main Street in Lake Placid. The ride is about 25 - 30 minutes, depending on which stop you board at. In the morning, from LP to Whiteface it runs hourly. In the afternoon, I believe that it runs every 30 minutes.

It's not a great service, like they have in Park City for example, but if you really don't feel like taking your own car, it's an option.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

Raymo40
Face. I like the shuttle in LP. We use it every time we stay in LP, almost door to door service. It does have its drawbacks tho. In my opinion nothing beats ski in skiout. It makes things much easier. Whiteface and Gore don't have it. Thats why I rated them lower.  Dont get me wrong I'm a Gore pass holder so I love Gore. I just wouldn't go there on a vacation, I go there enough during the year..

Coach.. I took snow into the equation too. Jay was #2.  Ski in-out lodging and lots of snow....Nightlife not so much,but hey LOTS of snow.  Carry on.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Noah John wrote
So 60% of your days at Whiteface have been "terrible"?  That's hilarious.  Nice avatar pic, BTW.  What kind of day was that?
I laughed out loud.
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by tBatt
tBatt wrote
MC2, I think you and I should publicly call out Noah John and ScottyJack to TWO ski-offs. One at Whiteface, one at Gore. ALA relay style. For ALLL THE MARBLES. Winner gets to decide what mountain is better.

I'm in.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
Yep.   Would change my opinion if there were free busses every 15 minutes in the am and on the hr after 3pm    apologies if there are.  Have not seen or heard of them.
Apologies accepted.  But actions speak louder than I'm sorry so buck up and support our economy w/ a trip to WF.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Wait, there's skiing in New York?  Like among the taxicabs and skyscrapers?  Oh.....you must mean out by Buffalo.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
witch hobble wrote
Wait, there's skiing in New York?  Like among the taxicabs and skyscrapers?  Oh.....you must mean out by Buffalo.
Yea and I heard there's an entire website dedicated to it. Nuts.  :)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

witch hobble
Just playing the part of the average survey respondent.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
ScottyJack wrote
I'm in.  
Meet us at the top of the K-12.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
tBatt wrote
ScottyJack wrote
I'm in.  
Meet us at the top of the K-12.

OK.  

I will be wearing a red, white and blue helmet; Oakley rad mirrored goggles, a multi colored plaid new school hoodie, low ridin yellow pants w/ suspenders off the shoulders, Tom Wallace pro model full tilts locked into some banana curved double rocker armanada!

O, yeah and a camo bandana worn outlaw style

See yous there homey!
I ride with Crazy Horse!