TREMBLANT 3/27/16- 4/1/16

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TREMBLANT 3/27/16- 4/1/16

jcamotts
During spring break my family took a week long trip to Mont Tremblant. We skied 5 and a half days in total. Conditions were excellent even with the multiple inches of rain they received throughout the week.

We got to Tremblant on Easter Sunday, it was 58 degrees and the entire mountain was open 100% so we decided to ski for about 2 hours. We went straight to the North Side to explore some of the glades and bump runs. Our first run was Buzz, a steep double black glade. Perfect spring conditions, no ice, a few bare spots but besides that it was in great condition. After we skied expo and a few of their other steep bump runs.

Monday:
The next day it rained, a lot. The mountain got a quarter inch over night and forecasted half an inch throughout the day. Surprisingly though mot of the terrain was opened, 100% trails on the south and north sides, but the edge and Soliel sides were both closed. We decided to ski CBC, which we were very eager to ski because it looked like one of the best tree runs on the mountain. The report said it was opened but when we showed up to it it was closed. We were pretty annoyed but we still had hopes for the other runs so we took the chair back up. While we were on the chair it started raining pretty hard and got so bad that they closed the entire North Side. We were soaking wet, but still the snow was soft so we decided to take a few runs on Vertige and Zig-Zag on the front side. Theses two are steep, extremely steep, probably close to the steepest runs I have ever skied. They were in pretty good shape, soft snow and big bumps. We took a long lunch break after that, then went back out after they opened up the north side again.

Tuesday:
The low overnight was 23 degrees. Not good after the mountain received an inch of rain. It was bad early in the morning. barely 30 trails open, the Edge, Soliel, and North sides were all closed and only blue and green groomers were opened on the front side. It was rock hard. The one thing that saved the day was that they had gotten 3-4 inches of new snow overnight once it got cold enough. My brother and I cruised down some groomers for first few runs but the wind was gusting over 35mph at the summit, so we decided to head in for a while. Fortunately the temperature rose, it got the 42 by 1:00 and the sun was shining bright. The north side had opened up and all the glades and bump runs, including CBC were opened. We headed to CBC first and were really eager to ski it. But when we rolled up to the entrance a sign reading "piste fermee" (trail closed) was posted in the entrance. We weren't happy. Luckily, a group of other skiers flew by us and ducked the ropes. We decided to follow them and poach the trail, and it was definitely the right choice. Plenty of snow, no ice, and it hadn't been skied since they got 3 inches of snow. The rest of the day was great, they snow was still very soft.

CBC: Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZfFeW3YT28

Wednesday:
More of the same conditions, soft bumps, minimal ice, and the sun was shining. Skied Dynamite for the first time. This is Tremblant's hardest trail. The top isn't much to speak of but the bottom portion often exceeds 40 degrees in pitch and has a few ledges mixed in. That bottom part was closed while we were their but the top had some good bumps.

Dynamite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnZAhf6lz64

Thursday:
More rain, even more than monday. Quarter of an inch wednesday night, consistent rainfall throughout the day, and half an inch Thursday night. The skiing for the most part was good, very wet soft snow and most of the terrain was good to go.

Friday:
Forecast was sunny and 52 degrees. Thursday's rain took A LOT of the snow away, a lot of bare spots on the bump runs and the glades were barely skiable. But, there was no ice, and it was our last day on the slopes, probably for the rest of the season, so we made the best of it, and we had a great time. Even with the rain the bumps were still good, there were no lift lines and some of the glades were opened, so it was a good day.

The skiing at Tremblant was incredible, especially for the season we are having the amount of natural snow they had was very surprising. By far the best skiing I've had all season and I could only imagine what it would be like on a good year.

Full Trip Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs4GwwJiQI0
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: TREMBLANT 3/27/16- 4/1/16

Harvey
Administrator
CBC Video:

Dynamite Video:

Full Trip Video:
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
Thanks, I tried to embed them but I wasn't having much luck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
jcamotts wrote
Don't take it personally. It's not easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Harvey wrote
jcamotts wrote
Don't take it personally. It's not easy.

I remember putting our first video up - I was like - how do you get this on there?

Looking at these conditions, man - Tremblant was where to be last month.  I know ADKJeff (aka Saratoga skier) was there for a few days too.

Good video work, keep it up.. Now back to watching part two.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
Thanks man, best skiing in the east this year for sure.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The weeken of April 16 Tremblant is offering kids ski free wth a paid parent

I'm considering heading up there for one last weekend
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
There's a lot of snow left... Not sure you'll like it Coach. It skis like Gore with the base area of... MOUNTAIN CREEK!

Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
This post was updated on .
We liked CBC a lot too, definitely one of our favorites.  Nice report.
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
Thanks, I really wanted to hit Dynamite, I was pretty bummed the lower part was closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
jcamotts wrote
Thanks, I really wanted to hit Dynamite, I was pretty bummed the lower part was closed.
Fun trail:

I love that sign in the first pic.  The Quebecois equivalent of "Thin Cover."  Definition: great skiing ahead!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Sweet shots. Conditiones Marginales FTW!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
There's a lot of snow left... Not sure you'll like it Coach. It skis like Gore with the base area of... MOUNTAIN CREEK!
I like Gore - a lot

MC not so much
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

jcamotts
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff

Adk Jeff wrote
jcamotts wrote
Fun trail:

I love that sign in the first pic.  The Quebecois equivalent of "Thin Cover."  Definition: great skiing ahead!

"Skiing Not recommended", yet probably had the best snow on the mountain!