218 messages Options
1 ... 67891011
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2014/2015 edition

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
You guys sure make the most out of a few hundred feet of Vertical.
You are too generous. Our vertical barely qualifies as "a few hundred feet." But thank you anyway.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
One more pic of SBR from yesterday... The last crankin' turn at the bottom of almost a few hundred feet of vert...
Love the Chargers keeping their tips up!
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider

Since the temperature was not minus bazillion, TD and I agreed to meet for an exploratory ski this afternoon. We know how tired you all must be of us posting about The Pipeline and how marvelous it is, so we decided to ski Beyond the Pipeline...

The map looks of the pipeline massif looks enticing. Pipeline descent is marked by the orange line.

We skied our usual route in and up, then followed the pipeline right of way towards the (alleged) high point left of the the blue dotted drainage, close to the river. Ten Turn Vern and Six Turn Sam did some farming on a short descent:

Skinless, the Chargers carried us up the other side.

Sadly, the cluster of contours leading down to the river turned out to be a shrub-choked shitshow interspersed with small cliff bands. We chose not to ski it. Instead, we contoured back around, checking out the steam bed from above and looking for possibilities. There are some very large hardwoods in this forest.

We did find a nice little glade, just off the pipeline leading into the drainage. With a little work, this could rival Bonk Hill and deliver at least twelve turns. Meanwhile, can you find TD?

Back we went, and finished the afternoon with a great and unphotographed run down the "real" Pipeline. Once at home, I rewarded myself with a Beau's Burnt Rock Vanilla Porter. Exceedingly tasty, especially with a side snack of leftover maple bacon. This winter keeps on delivering!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Glad we went yesterday.  Too  effin cold today... I want some global warming ... A nice -10 day would be great...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Jeff LeCheff and I returned to further SBR's and my exploration from the above post.  Today we hit pay dirt.  More than a few hundred feet of natural glades - in plain sight from certain viewpoints, but hidden enough to deter all but the most diehard bc skiers.  I called it Obvi Bowl.  Just because.  Our fun came to an abrupt halt when Jeff broke a cable on his binding.  Good thing for Voile Straps... Yet again.  

Jeff got some pics of me skiing some thickety stuff.  It was way more open than it looked here

My racing background apparently helped, though the gates sure aren't break away...!

Here's the Voile fix for a broken G3 cable

We'll be returning to Obvi Bowl real soon...
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
... It was way more open than it looked here

That is all good news. I look forward to skiing Obvi Bowl soon. Did you use the "standard approach?"
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
... It was way more open than it looked here

That is all good news. I look forward to skiing Obvi Bowl soon. Did you use the "standard approach?"
Yes, continued in from Potential Glade, contoured with a bit of over shoot to the North, but a quick check of my handy dandy iPhone GPS/Google Map location repointed us in the right direction.  Theres a seasons worth of backbush to schuss there, and justification for some off season management.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
BTW, and FYI, the topo is as accurate there as it was to the south of the gully, the aerial photo is a better guide if you're good with them.  Return visit Friday.  You, me and leCheffie.  Jeff and I are not going to do any promotion of Obvi nor hint at its location.  Thus the name.  Meaningless in the big picture.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Telemark Dave wrote
BTW, and FYI, the topo is as accurate there as it was to the south of the gully, the aerial photo is a better guide if you're good with them.  Return visit Friday.  You, me and leCheffie.  Jeff and I are not going to do any promotion of Obvi nor hint at its location.  Thus the name.  Meaningless in the big picture.
Fen tor, bood guddy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Fen tor, bood guddy.
Hmmm  perhaps...?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Telemark Dave wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Fen tor, bood guddy.
Hmmm  perhaps...?
Obvi, as he forgot a U.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Snowballs wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
Fen tor, bood guddy.
Hmmm  perhaps...?
Obvi, as he forgot a U.
Shows how much I know... I thought he was trying the American spelling of four... Drop the "u" just like yous guys do with "colour".   
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Telemark Dave wrote
 Drop the "u" just like yous guys do with "colour".  
Well, one can't go around wasting letters all willy nilly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
After puttering around the house, biding my time until the temperature became less cold (as opposed to warmer), I went for a slowshoe in the backbush with the dog.

It was a bit awkward following our ski track. One shoe in, one shoe out, kind of limping along.

There are some wacky snow sculptures in the trees:

Tomorrow promises to be a much less cold day. We shall see, and we shall ski.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
^ Great Dog.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
That natty snow sculpture looks like the cats ass!!!!

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Well, maybe your cat, TD. And thanks, Matt, he is a great dog, still going strong at 11.5 years old.

Due to the explosion of interest in skiing at some of our favourite backcountry areas, some of us have taken up the positively old-school habit of staring at the topo map and going exploring. Today, LeChef, TD and I went further into the local backbush:

This is very cool area, with some pretty big hardwoods and a very open feel. It definitely has potential:

We made some tracks:

LeChef inspects the damage we made to the snow cover.

TD had some skin issues but a couple of Voile straps had him fixed right up. Except for the lack of glide on that ski...

But hey, we skied to a river - it was a great day!

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I'm to the point of saying right here on the Interweb..

Voile - Yay
BD - Nay.  

Third time this season that Voile straps saved the day - or at least made it manageable.

Here's a pic of SBRs same issue as mine from a month ago.  Same solution too.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Here's some pics taken by Jeff today.  I'm shocked he stopped long enough to take any pictures...

Me - getting into thicketeering mode.  

SBR, happy, happy, joy joy - just because.

...and SBR again,  standing in the backbush, schuss completed.  

I've got a zillion pics I captured on the GoPro -  I'll post some more once I sort through them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Some more pics of the Backbush from the other day.  
SBR and Le Cheffie heading back up for more.

...and ready to schuss yet again.

On the way back out we had to drop Pipeline, I found some untracked on the fringe.
Who knew?  Just me and my shadow...
1 ... 67891011