That wolf track is big. Yikes !
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2015/2016 edition

Sick Bird Rider
Snowballs wrote
That wolf track is big. Yikes !
Yes, pretty big, those skis are at least 80 mm wide at the Fischer logo. The prints are probably at least 12 hours old though, and so have decayed a bit, and expanded somewhat. Just from watching the decay of little Utah's tracks over the winter, I have observed over that paw prints in snow seem to get larger as they deteriorate. Our previous dog was an 80 lb shepherd-hound mix, and I once saw his prints side-by-side with fresh wolf tracks. It was really hard to tell the difference.

Here is a wide view. With all the tracks in one small area, I was wondering if there might be a den or kill nearby but didn't have time to investigate (bear in the oven!). Will report back after the next inspection.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
While there is still snow in the bush, walking seemed like a better plan than navigating shitty, crusty snow patches separated by wet leafy patches. Clearly, I am getting soft in my old age. Further to the story of the wolf prints, I could not find any evidence for the collection of tracks noted in the last post.

X marks the spot where we made some turns on Bonk Hill earlier this winter.

Beavers need to get to work on the break in the dam, the lower pond is almost gone:

The dog likes the fact that the remnant skin track makes for a nice firm path:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
What's the over - under on the 16/17 edition??? Inquiring minds would like to know.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
DAMN --- even got the 420 post with that one
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
They are kinda M.I.A.. Think he and Dave ran off together ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Funny you should ask.

Tales from the Hinterland: 2016/2017 edition

It was a kind of busy summer and fall, not much time for tales. Winter will be better.
1 ... 3456