128 messages Options
1234 ... 7
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tales from the Hinterland: 2016/2017 edition

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
It is happening. Might have to put on skis tomorrow and slide around.

Edit: If you are new around here, this story has been going for a while. Here is your opportunity to catch up:

2010/11: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-an-ongoing-saga
2011/12: seems that we missed this winter, though there were a few random TRs, like the Dog Day Ski Adventure
2012/13: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2012-13-edition
2013/14: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2013-2014-edition
2014/15: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2014-2015-edition

2015/16: Tales-from-the-Hinterland-2015-2016-edition
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2016/2017 edition

Harvey
Administrator

This is almost like our ecrc. Sorta.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I take that as a high compliment, thanks.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee

All is ok with the world now
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
I never respond to you but read all your posts.  Keep at it old man its entertaining.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote

This is almost like our ecrc. Sorta.
Ok, what is "ecrc"??
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
campgottagopee wrote
Ok, what is "ecrc"??
TGR's version of this thread with a wider range of shenanigans and more arguments. But fun:
East-Coast-Roll-Call-10-ten-SKI-or-SKI-NOT-There-Is-No-Try
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Got it , thanks --- never messed around over there at TGR. Place is too big for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Well, you asked for it. Here is the blow-by-blow report of my first ski outing of the season.

After the gloppy storm of yesterday, today dawned clear and pleasant, temps right at the freezing mark. Since the new snow is likely to disappear tomorrow, I figured I had better slap some sticks on my feet and sample.

It was a bush ski day, and fishscales always work better with a little chemical treatment.

I tackled the Dog Walk Trail, with the dog charging ahead to avoid appearing in any photos. It was a winter wonderland.

Apparently I made a bad wax choice. If you kept moving, it was OK. Stop for a second: GLOP!

I hereby claim first low-angle hardwood tele turns of the season in the Hinterlandian backcountry.

It was good first day and I am digging my new Patagonia Nano Puff pullover (green layer under the shell). Very light and surprisingly warm.

Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
SBR- picked up my first skis with scales or should I say partial scales. What wax are you using? This will be new. Usually it's skins and normal skis.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
PeeTex wrote
SBR- picked up my first skis with scales or should I say partial scales. What wax are you using? This will be new. Usually it's skins and normal skis.
I usually use Swix Easy Glide over the whole ski. Toko makes a similar product. If you want to get carried away, do a nice hot wax on the non-fishscale tip and tail, then Easy Glide as needed.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Thanks
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
This post was updated on .
To help glide and prevent snow sticking to the scales You can glide wax the whole friggen ski, scales and all.  While the wax is still slightly warm, aggressively brush out the scales. Scrape the tip and tail glide zones like normal once it's cooled.  Visually check the scales for excess wax - and brush as needed.   To further confuse you, another strategy that enhances grip is to wax the tips and tails with a cold grip wax - like a green or green extra. Iron it in and then finish by corking.  You'll get a tad extra grip in cold powder that doesn't effect the glide.  Old skewl stylie FTW!
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Agree with both Dave and SBR,    i myself use Swix F4 easy peasy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
BRLKED wrote
Agree with both Dave and SBR,    i myself use Swix F4 easy peasy.
True.  Though both the Swix and the Toko variants are overpriced. There's also a few paste rub-on waxes available from smaller boutique companies that are a  better value.  YMMV.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Signing up for another year of Hinterlandian wanderings. If I do anything on skinnies maybe I can throw it in here too?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
ml242 wrote
Signing up for another year of Hinterlandian wanderings. If I do anything on skinnies maybe I can throw it in here too?
Sure, ML, Hinterlandia is a free country and open to all contributors.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote
Gee ML, you must ski on some crazy ass fatty fats if you want to post here when you're on skinnies like us where most of our wanderings are on VoileChargers!!! Duuuuude!  
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Telemark Dave wrote
Gee ML, you must ski on some crazy ass fatty fats if you want to post here when you're on skinnies like us where most of our wanderings are on VoileChargers!!! Duuuuude!  
Gotta build out the quiver then!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
From reading all this I think I will mask off the scales, wax as normal the glide area and then put some swix rub on for the scales.
1234 ... 7