Tales from the Hinterland: 2015/2016 edition

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
107 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2015/2016 edition

Telemark Dave
Oh yeah, it finally snowed here.  Ok so it wasn't the backbush. But it was skiing, it was through the woods, and there was a few inches of fresh on top. Yep.. It was great.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
That was New Years day.  Got out for more XC on Saturday.  Had to work today.  Rumour has it that SBR went to  ride lifts today. .. Hopefully he took some pics to prove it actually happened.  Either way, I'm hooking up with some Bro's to go explore some backbush tomorrow.  Back of beyond deal.  TR will follow, promise.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Good to see some Nordic up in here.

I'd also pay good money to see you rip those Fischers down some steep and deep
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Is that a double dog dare,  MikeK?  Lucky for you, and me, I stopped doing stupid things on a daily basis a few years ago.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Despite the ongoing mildness, it does feel more like winter up here.

The large forest rats are happy that I have installed the bird feeder. Note to Campy: nice little four pointer hiding behind the spruce tree.

The deer have no respect for the ski trail. Not only do they walk on it, they freely piss all over the place. Bastards.

Despite the yellow snow obstacles, we made it to Secret Hill. TD gets psyched for the twiggy descent.

Committing to the line as only an ex-racer can.

One run was enough there, so we hiked over to Bonk Hill, which always has better snow quality due to a more northerly aspect. This shot is a great illustration of how fat skis make a little snow ski like a lot more.

I gave the tour my four-eyed approval!

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Nice!  We need some fresh snow down here so I can have a few romps in the local trails.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Well done men !! Conditions look ok given the blast furnace that has been the Northeast this yr
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
...  Rumour has it that SBR went to  ride lifts today. .. Hopefully he took some pics to prove it actually happened. ...
Here ya go then. We had nice day sliding around on the man-made, and even some natural snow runs. The day was not conducive to picture taking but I did snap this one of a camoflaged Blue Toes about to drop off the headwall into Eagle Lake:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So rad.

What's the local ski hill (the one with lifts) called?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
raisingarizona wrote
So rad.

What's the local ski hill (the one with lifts) called?
The one above is Sir Sam's Ski and Ride, about an hour from our house. We have an equally small hill called Hidden Valley Highlands, just outside of town, but I will happily drive past it to ski at Sir Sam's. A trip to this hill was actually the topic of the very first TFTH post, which you might find entertaining.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Here's a couple of pics of SBR, same place and time today.  

All and all, just another day of stoopid fun... (We're easily amused..)
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
OK, it is official: winter has returned to the Hinterlandian backcountry.

Pics later, after I catch up on chores abandoned for skiing.

-------------------

Like magic, the snow is piling up.

Blue toes and I went for a slowshoe, then I went for a ski:

There was a wall of snow in the way:

Finally made it to Secret Hill:

And then over to Bonk Hill:

And home again in the magic light of late afternoon:

Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Yah baby, it's a powder day...  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Better yet, I only have to work on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  Glass half empty, glass half full.  
Lots of money means no time.  Lots of time means no money.  I do, however, have more than a few pairs of skis.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chuuurles
Can i pls come play?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Telemark Dave wrote
Better yet, I only have to work on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  Glass half empty, glass half full.  
Lots of money means no time.  Lots of time means no money.  I do, however, have more than a few pairs of skis.
Same here

Working today and Wed, leaving for FL on Thursday --- WOOT
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Very jealous of the goods.

I love having more days off of work... I have plenty of skis, plenty of money in bank, could always use for free time!

Seems this year all the days off we've been given or forced to take have been lacking snow.    Seriously thinking of relocating...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Chuuurles
Yup. C'mon up and join us Chuuurles...
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Jeff LeChef hooked up with me yesterday for a foray to our newest stash... Things are looking up, snow wise, but it's still pretty sketchy out there.  On the way to Our back bush we stopped by Pipeline for a recon... As I surmised, it was gnarly and unfriendly looking

We continued on, forgetting how tough it is setting the first skin track of the year... Ugh.  Once there, we only had enough gumption to lap a couple runs.. The bluebird conditions of the day made up for the minimalistic snow..

We called it a day - nice thing about earning your turns is there's no need to ski til the lifts close in order to amortize the spendy lift ticket..
And that's all she said...
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Well played, gentlemen. So much for my snow forecasting at Pipeline, glad you guys took one for the team.