Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2016/2017 edition

Sick Bird Rider
Harvey wrote
Merry Christmas Mr and Mrs SBR.  
And to you. Couldn't do it without her.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The chair tells us that winter has rebooted itself. Time to ski.

TD and I discussed going to the Pipeline but the fact that it was snowing meant the likely arrival of a plow truck. This would be bad. So we did the backyard tour from SBRHQ, and took two runs on Secret Hill, followed by two runs on Bonk Hill. We took our time and put in a nice skin track on both hills.

The snow was fast and surfy.

Swoosh!

Today got the SBR thumbs up sign of approval.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Should have seen that guy in green at the bottom all effed up in shrubbery..what a JONG!
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Lookin good boys! What a great looking place to be out in the woods and touring.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Here's a pic courtesy of LeCheffie..  Chuurles on his way up just below a pillow line on Nickel Peak.  It's not quite skiable yet, but will be soon.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Happy New Year from the Hinterlands!
I love love love this time of year..  Having a skiing family makes for a special type of awesome comfort!  
It's all about the lifestyle..  Evidenced by the stair landing going to our basement..  

Even better, right after our family New Years Eve dinner, Josh headed off to a party at his buds down the road.  No drinking and driving for him.   He skied over..  

Anyways, as it's the New Year, better get going, there's a whole lot more skiing to get done..  
Reply | Threaded
|

Freebeeez
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Hello Gents,

I was looking at your chair SBR and I was wondering. Would this snow cover be pretty much the same in Killarney. I was planning on doing Silver Peak most probably in February. Thanks Alex
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Freebeeez wrote
Hello Gents,

I was looking at your chair SBR and I was wondering. Would this snow cover be pretty much the same in Killarney. I was planning on doing Silver Peak most probably in February. Thanks Alex
Hmmm, good question. Much of our snow comes from lake effect bands off Georgian Bay. Killarney is far enough away, and closer to the lake, that it would get different storm patterns. My guess would be that the area would have similar snowpack to us. Maybe there are some local web cams you could track down.
Reply | Threaded
|

Freebeeez
Hi SBR,  how much dumping are you getting up there?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Freebeeez wrote
Hi SBR,  how much dumping are you getting up there?
Lots. I'm near Huntsville, probably 20 cm+ in last 48 hours. Still snowing. More in Bracebridge/Gravenhurst area and Parry Sound. A reliable source told me there is 40 cm new snow in Gravenhurst over last two days. Watch the radar. Check the FB group for meetup on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The singleplank crew did a recon mission to Pipeline this morning. They do have a different perspective on terrain than we old knee-droppers. I'm heading there this afternoon, will report back later. Picture by Nate:

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Today's chair report:

The Pipeline seemed like a good idea, and the fact that the above snowboarders had put in an uptrack made it even more enticing. So I geared up for a solo mission this afternoon.

The access road was nicely track set for fat skis:

You know what they say: "nice from afar..."

But it is getting a bit overgrown. Nothing another three feet of snow won't cure. Or maybe I should call the gas company and let them know that their right-of-way needs some attention.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 But it is getting a bit overgrown. Nothing another three feet of snow won't cure.
Simple fix SBR. You and TD go cowboy on it. Round Up !
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Snowballs wrote
Sick Bird Rider wrote
 But it is getting a bit overgrown. Nothing another three feet of snow won't cure.
Simple fix SBR. You and TD go cowboy on it. Round Up !
Roundup schmoundup. I've got Stihl weedwacker with a saw blade.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Headed out yesterday morning on a recon - in town.  LeCheff and I met up at the Habitat for Humanity ReStore parking lot.
We skinned up the ridge behind it and found a natural glade.  Tiny vert (60meters) but Wang Chung (perfect Pitch).  So cool to be able to score freshies in town limits.. And just in time. Big thaw and rain,etc happening here now.. So the back bush will not be fun

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Well played, sirs. Currently hearing the the pitter patter of snow death on the roof. Ugh.
Reply | Threaded
|

Freebeeez
any chair report? I`m almost afraid to ask.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Rain? Nooooo!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Thanks for your concern, folks. We are currently experiencing a classic, and extended, January thaw. Fortunately the r*#n has been light and the snowpack is hanging in there. Unfortunately, said snow is the consistency of nearly cured concrete. We are biding our time, waiting for Winter 2.0. So far, we have resisted the urge to ride chairlifts. TD may have gone skate skiing.

Pattern change is forecast for next and the Lake Effect Engine will hopefully splutter back to life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Freebeeez
Freebeeez wrote
any chair report? I`m almost afraid to ask.
Sounds like the chair says " meh ".