Tales from the Hinterland: 2019/2020 edition

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
92 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tales from the Hinterland: 2019/2020 edition

Brownski
Consider me as jealous as usual. I’m currently conniving to acquire some V6 Hyper BCs. It’s a long shot though. Beautiful dog.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You guys rock!
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
PeeTex wrote
You guys rock!
Thanks 🙏 Peetex!  You’re very kind.  
Mostly we just try to enjoy what we have.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Telemark Dave wrote
PeeTex wrote
You guys rock!
Thanks 🙏 Peetex!  You’re very kind.  
Mostly we just try to enjoy what we have.
And it looks like you folks do a damn fine job at just that. The Hinterland skiing is pure soul food. Thanks boys, and girls involved for providing the quality stoke.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
A couple more pics from yesterday.  We were lucky enough to have a couple serious photographers in our group..

Jeff The Mann and his pooch Parka.

A pic of the pro photographer Scott, by the amateur photographer Nate. (Who should be semi-pro)

More Scott-Nate collab.

Jeff The Mann totally immersed in his task at hand! Pic by Scott T.

Me -  TD, pausing  before dropping in for a photo op (pics in the post above). I was thinking about the myth of Sisyphus and how it rings true with earning ones turns..

Me again, earlier in the morning. I must have been frothing at the bit to ski, my goggles are still in my pack.  Couldn’t see anything but white between vertical dark lines..  😆😜
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider

As noted earlier, I unfortunately missed the shenanigans above. Today was the day to make up for lost time, and things worked out pretty well. Our overnight house guest was keen to do outdoor activity but less keen on skiing. OK, slowshoeing it is, but I manipulated our route choice to set the track out to Secret Hill.

After he departed, I got organized for a back 40 ski tour. The track we laid in earlier came in handy. Note the wolf tracks to the side, pretty fresh.

Secret Hill (SW aspect) was windblown at the top and surprising scratchy under the new snow. Nevertheless, I did two runs and set a fishscale-friendly uptrack. Bonk Hill was better, due to its NW aspect, but I only had energy left for one run there.

Looking down before the second run. Kind of side-slippy at first.

Much better lower down.

All in all all, a fine day to be outdoors.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
We were lucky enough to have a couple serious photographers in our group..
I'll say!  Great pics!
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
If you care, or not, World Telemark Day was on Saturday, March 7. Our young friend The Mann organized a "backcountry ski festival" at Limberlost in honour of this event. Snow conditions were less than optimal (think soft, breakable crust) but the 30 or so snowriders that congregated had a fine day. I say snowriders because there were not only telemarkers, but alpine tourists, snowboarders, tobagganers, dogs, babies, kids and more in attendence. Le Mann also propsoed a retro theme, and a few of us got on board. Telemark Dave phoned in sick but I did get some pics:

First and foremost, I selected a special quiver for the day. Only the middle ski did not get used.

It was also opening day of sunroof season.

Welcome to Limberlost! Don't stop!

Lots of like-minded grown-ups, kids and dogs made for a easy-going day.

Even Captain Funketelic made an appearance.

The fashion level was high. That's Le Mann on the left, Hondo in the middle and me on the right. Turned out we were all wearing jackets inherited from our fathers-in-law. I'm sporting my dad's curling hat. The wood skis didn't stay on our feet very long, but we did make a run for posterity.

There were smiles all around at the "top of the world."

A Mann in brown tweed and a white dog tend to blend in when one is in the winter forest. His son wisely wore brighter colours.

All dogs present had a good time (Visla, Samoyed, Border Collie). Note the twig fix on Annie's skins.

Carlee is all smiles after surviving her first tree-skiing experience. Her dad, likely my age, is a telemarker from way back, so she has inherited the gene.

Don't let the nice tracks fool you, the snow conditions were crusty and challenging.

Our nattily dressed master of ceremonies.

The event also helped raise money for a wood stove installation in the cabin at the summit, plus got a bunch of of people signed up to support POW Canada.

I don't think ski season is over quite yet but this was a fine way to celebrate our quirky sport.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I’m digging those Heads.
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Brownski wrote
I’m digging those Heads.
Thanks, they are things of beauty and were made in Norway. I have two pairs, the 210s pictured and some 195s with identical bindings. The graphic is similar to Head's alpine skis from the early 70s, so I am guessing that is the vintage. They were a lucky thrift store find and came complete with bamboo poles and some groovy ski & pole holder straps that quickly disintegrated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
By request and for the fact that it is May 9. Winter sometimes never ends in the Hinterlands but I think it is safe to say "ski ya next season" for now.

Stay safe and well, my friends.