Tax Question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tax Question

lolkl
Can I declare my ski pass as a business expense and make it tax deductable? I am an Independent Contractor and I need to meet clients as well as look at jobs all over the mountain. Living at a ski resort is unique in this respect. When I think of Big Shots taking clients out to lavish dinners and writing it off it seems like I should be able to write this off. People write off trips all the time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tax Question

Harvey
Administrator
I am not an accountant. So I have no idea, but of course I do have an opinion. :)

I'd think yes.  But you might have to treat it like a car or home office? x% of my usage is for business, so you deduct that portion of the cost.

Or you could try to make sure you are not having any fun when you ski without clients and call it "sales training."
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
You can write off whatever you want, its what will pass an audit.  You can write percentages of your pass, skis and other stuff in proportion to business vs personal use.  At least that is my understanding.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by lolkl
Short answer: No.

You can't deduct country club dues and membership fees, even if you incur other business-related expenses at the club that are at least partially deductible. As I see it, the cost of your OWN season pass at a ski resort is in the same category as country club dues.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
If you took a customer skiing and bought your and their day pass that would be deductible same as a day of golf or other business entertainment
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
reform the tax code!  Enough of the country club handout!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
The Scotty tax plan
No deductions for Country Clubs.  AT bindings, Skins, and Mt Bikes get you a tax credit.  
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Coach Z wrote
The Scotty tax plan
No deductions for Country Clubs.  AT bindings, Skins, and Mt Bikes get you a tax credit.  
Wow - I thought SJ was an asshole, bit now I think he is a genius!
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
The Scotty tax plan
Vote for Scotty Jack!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Wow - I thought SJ was an asshole, bit now I think he is a genius!

That is a very mean thing to say.  You are mean spirited.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
Wow - I thought SJ was an asshole...
?????

I mean I don't mind when someone on here calls me an asshole, because I can be, but Scotty comes across as very unasshole. (Anti-asshole? Not sure how to indicate the opposite of asshole)
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
What's wrong with being an asshole - everybody's got one.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
PeeTex wrote
Wow - I thought SJ was an asshole,
This comment is untrue, crude, unprovoked, not the least bit funny and directed at a person who said you were a good man in a past post. What was the point?
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
IMO, in most cases, it's not fair to judge someone you haven't met.  (I guess I now make an exception to that rule.)

I met Scotty last March when he, HPD, TJ and a group locals took me into the slides. Those guys are the equivalent of Gore's Men in Black. They know the mountain and have got your back.

I'm here to say that Scotty is an incredibly solid human being.  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote
PeeTex wrote
Wow - I thought SJ was an asshole,
This comment is untrue, crude, unprovoked, not the least bit funny and directed at a person who said you were a good man in a past post. What was the point?
And I am sure he is in person. He has attacked me before in this forum - so I have not witnessed his nice side, all I have is what is written here. Sometimes we agree - sometimes we disagree. If I hurt SJs feelings, that was not my intent - I did say he was a genius in the same sentence, but you conveniently left that out.  

Have a happy holiday to all, lighten up and get some skiing in.

Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
http://www.watsoncpagroup.com/kb/Can-I-deduct-country-club-dues-as-a-business-expense_100.html

Buy your client a pass, deduct it.  Your pass is likely looked at as a "due" and is not deductible.  Consult an accountant... if you don't like their answer keep consulting one that will tell you the answer you want.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
 (Anti-asshole?)
Taint it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
  Consult an accountant... if you don't like their answer keep consulting one that will tell you the answer you want.
Much like the government does. These firms naturally attract business from those in need of " such a point of view ". Madoff no doubt had the need.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Footer
Footer wrote
Consult an accountant... if you don't like their answer keep consulting one that will tell you the answer you want.
CPA's are not allowed to give legal advice. Instead, consult an attorney who specializes in taxation. You're gonna need him when you get audited (which you will).

And don't rely on any free advice you get on the internet.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble