Tele Instructor at Belleayre? for a novice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tele Instructor at Belleayre? for a novice

marznc
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a telemark instructor at Belleayre.  I'm going to be there this weekend.  Can use my daughter's tele gear to get a first taste of free heeling.  Her boots fit well enough and we are pretty much the same height.  I'm not likely to switch but she wants me to have some first hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tele Instructor at Belleayre? for a novice

CatskillsFreeheel
You should come to Plattekill. We stole all of Belleayre’s Tele Instructors, and Ferd LaMotte moved to VT.
Click on Catskills Freeheel to visit my blog!  
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
CatskillsFreeheel wrote
You should come to Plattekill. We stole all of Belleayre’s Tele Instructors, and Ferd LaMotte moved to VT.
If I had the time, I would love to get back to Platty.  But this ski day is part of driving from North Carolina to Boston.  I'm meeting up with a few friends who live in CT and have the MAX Pass so Belleayre makes more sense.

My daughter was at a Platty Telepalooza with some of her schoolmates and the teachers from North Country School that taught them tele skiing a few years ago.  They had a ball!

I know of a L3 Nordic instructor at Wachusett, but the scheduling isn't working out for this trip.  So that's why I thought maybe I could find someone at Belle.

Jiminy Peak is another possibility because I'm staying there one night between Belle and heading to Boston.

I'd much rather have the first experience on tele skis with the guidance of an instructor.  Too old to want to just put on the gear and experiment.  Plus one knee isn't all there so a bit more cautious than I might be otherwise.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by marznc
marznc... I reached out to Belle when I saw your post earlier.  I was pointed to "Alex in reservations."  If I hear anything I will surely post it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
marznc... I reached out to Belle when I saw your post earlier.  I was pointed to "Alex in reservations."  If I hear anything I will surely post it.
Thanks.  I'll contact them in a day or two even if I don't get a recommendation by name.  Figured it couldn't hurt to ask given how how popular tele is around here. :-)
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Had a tele lesson at Belle today with Levan Johnson.  Extended the private to 2-hours after making decent progress in the first hour.  He's a Belle local (decades) who is PSIA certified for Alpine, Snowboarding, and Nordic.  Had a very good time.  Would recommend him for anyone looking for a L3 instructor with a very friendly personality.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator

We want photos!  (Well I do!)
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp