classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tele Tech coming of age

Darkside Shaman
This post was updated on .
This has always been something I've been watching for years, and this looks good! http://www.moonlightmountaingear.com/en/products/bindings/pure-tele-2.html
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tele Tech coming of age

Harvey
Administrator
OK dumb question... what boots go with that binding?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
And they don't show the binding with the springs inserted.... weird.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Scarpa TXPro, Scott Prophet, Crispi EVO/Shiver/World Cup
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I think I also read that boot manufacturers are going to stop making tele boots with tech heel inserts....

http://www.earnyourturns.com/33505/scarpa-scott-drop-heel-inserts-on-ntn-boots/

Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
They (Scarpa and Scott) are taking the rear inserts out so that they can't be used with an AT binding due to the flex of the boot and incompatibility of the "puck" that used to be provided by Scarpa.All Crispi pin tech compatible boots still come with both, as they are confident in the stiffness of their bellows to not allow pre-release (Which we all know really blows!)
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
And the TX three buckle. Or at least it did.  Just got me some. Oh, and scored some dynafit toes too. I'm going to fab my own heel cable bases..  I've got both Rotte and Voile cartridge/heel lever assemblies that I can use. Easy Peasy.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

Got them for $125 CDN.   Which is like $12.50 USA dineros.
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
And these puppies. Dynafit Radical toes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I'm told that resistance is futile.

Looking forward to seeing the DIY cable set-up. I've got some old school clamp type if you need them.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Here's a later prototype of Moonlight Mountains version.  Note that it uses Rottefella Cobra cables.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Prelim design.
Reply | Threaded
|

Darkside Shaman
You da man TD!
Gotta go to know
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Slowly. The fog. Is lifting.

I don't get the drawing, but that boot and binding together look like a sweet combo of power and light.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Here ya go Harv. http://www.earnyourturns.com/29675/first-look-moonlights-tele-tech-bindings/
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave

Everything is being assimilated..  Tech for techs sake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
I ended up mounting the system on an old pair of skis..  Just to be able to trouble shoot everything first before swiss cheesing a good set of skis..  Then went and did an evening park and play poach of our local ski bump - there's a convient run on the backside that hasnt been officially opened yet.. Perfect for quick laps

My take on it is that even with the longest travel spring cartridges (Rotte Cobra) and with the pivot mounted as close to the toe piece as possible, the system is waaaay active.    It results in a lot of toe pressure that for me, is unwanted and not required for a dedicated backbush schussing ski setup.  It would, however, be a great system for a powder day at a ski area yoyoing lifts and doing sidecountry laps. (Jay comes to mind).   If you are a tele skier that likes active bindings, then it is certainly an option over a NTN setup, as it is lighter and simpler.

I'm going to shop for a used pair of fat, light and soft skis to use the system on..  Maybe a fully rockered ski, so as to minimize tip dive.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
As an addendum to the above, one ski that might fit the bill would be a DPS Wailer.  Spendy, even used. But certainly light and super turny in 3d snow, and enough camber and torsional stiffness to not freak out on consolidated (or, aaackkk, groomers) snow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
So after many iterations, lots of prototyping and testing, i decided on a very simple solution.  G3 cables that run under the riser plate.  Leverage angles make for minimal activeness - a plus in my book.
Only thing was. I neglected to mount the toe on the plastic base plate.  To me it looked simply like a mount for a ski brake...  Nope..  It was crucial to for the toe lever to lock out.   DOH!  

Anyways, thanks to a certain person from the darkside for the nudge in the right direction.  Thanks, Mang.  

TD.