Tell me about Catamount

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tell me about Catamount

Benny Profane
Took the scenic route home down 7 from Vermont and turned west at Great Barrington on 23 to get to the Taconic. Lo and behold, there's a place I've always heard about, but never skied, right on the side of 23 a few miles out. Anybody like the place? Looks steep, and it's real cheap on weekdays. They've been making a lot of snow.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tell me about Catamount

JasonWx
my daughter has sectionals there on wed..
i'll tell you all about it..

i've skied there before..small nothing special..but i'll post some pics on thurs
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
JasonWx wrote
my daughter has sectionals there on wed..
i'll tell you all about it..

i've skied there before..small nothing special..but i'll post some pics on thurs
+1

I'm going up there on Wednesday as well, so I'll do the same.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
bring your skis , there is a lot of time between races..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
JasonWx wrote
bring your skis , there is a lot of time between races..
Yep ... Was already planning on it!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's cheap...

There are a couple trails to hold your interest. One "steep" pitch called dynamite or something which runs for a few lift towers in the middle. Another is a trail on skiers left that runs the fall line of the mountain winding it's way down, in a very Stowe style.

There are some woods but those won't be in play.

if you plan on skinning ever for first tracks prepare to get yelled at and threatened by the owner.

afterwards you can hit my friends restaurant in Hudson, NY. It's called DABA and serves up Swedish American food. The place is amazing but a bit spendy (worth it) for a full meal, but there is a separate bar menu with amazing burgers, soups, salads, etc for much less.  

If you were to live in Hudson, Catamount is the closest skiing but I would guess 60 percent of the sliders there opt to head to Windham, which receives and makes more snow while being a little larger. Hope that helps put Catamount in context.
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I thought it was a nice little mountain.

It's not anyplace I'd go out of my way for, but if I lived nearby, and was looking for something to do mid-week, I'd definitely hit it.

I didn't ski much of it, kind of just stayed on the trails where my daughter's races were. There was one trail, rated a double-diamond, called catapult that was pretty steep, but very short.

Like I said, I wouldn't go out of my way for it, and there are some better options nearby in the way of Hunter & Windham, but for $20 mid-week (advance ticket purchase online), if there was fresh snow, it would probably be worth it.