Tenney Mountain, NH 1/11/19

17 messages Options
witch hobble witch hobble
Reply |
Open this post in threaded view

Tenney Mountain, NH 1/11/19

I’m not much of a trip reporter, I mostly post down in the quarantined politicrap section, but I need this place to stay viable enough to remain open for me to enjoy.

Tenney has suffered from a lot of neglect over the years.  I had a season’s pass the last few years it was open 08/09 and 09/10.  I got out a for a couple afternoons last spring during their little mini-season in March and it was great enough that I bought a $229 season pass for this year.  I live 5 minutes away, have a flexible schedule, and don’t mind antiquated infrastructure, so it’s a no brainer.

Or is it?  I won’t go into the ownership details except to say it’s uhhhhh.....unusual. If you’re curious you can find various threads on AZ (free gss!) and snowjournal. They have vacillated between over sharing on facebook and being so aloof that you can’t even tell if the mountain is open. For a less ski savvy customer located further away, it might be a deal breaker. They are having some snowmaking issues obviously, but luckily, with lots of low angle terrain, a northeast exposure, and little skier traffic, it doesn’t take all that much to make the place “skiable” by advanced eastern skier standards.

I skied this morning, and it’s cold and windy, and midweek, but I did not see another skier the entire time!  The liftie told me there were other people but she thought they went into the lodge.

There is now a wind farm across the ridgeline of the mountain. Iberdrola (the Basques!) put it in in 2013 or so.  You don’t hear the whooshing as you ride the rattly 1960s, 13 minute long double chair.  But near the summit, if you stop and listen you can hear them.

Skiing was great.  Leftover pow, wind buffed and refilled pow, a little bit of a glazed over sublayer was present the lower on the mountain you went.

Crowded base area and parking

It’s great having a private ski area, don’t get me wrong, but they need people to buy tickets. They need to get their snowmaking capability sorted out.  I need them to, for my own selfish ends. I’d like to be a pass holder here for the foreseeable future. It’s so convenient for me.  I’d hate to see it fail yet again.
Cunningstunts Cunningstunts
Reply |

Re: Tenney Mountain, NH 1/11/19

Nice report, witch.  You should do more of this, it suits you.
Don't grow up, it's a trap.
nepa nepa
Reply |

In reply to this post by witch hobble
Looks and sounds pretty sweet.  If I lived close, this would most certainly be a "go to" spot for me.
Johnnyonthespot Johnnyonthespot
Reply |

Awesome!
Brownski Brownski
Reply |

Tenney looks pretty cool to me
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
campgottagopee campgottagopee
Reply |

That is my kinda joint -- nice work Witchy
Jamesdeluxe Jamesdeluxe
Reply |

Nice report, thanks. I've always been curious about that ski area. Maybe Harv can resize the pix so they're bigger.
raisingarizona raisingarizona
Reply |

I’ve always been curious about tenney as well. It looks pretty cool. Your pics sure look like it was deep and empty. Good for you but bad for business. It doesn’t sound like they are gonna make it eh? Well.....skin to win witch.
Harvey Harvey
Reply |

Wow! Nice! thoughtful and great pics.

So far this might be the TR of the year. I mean was there another?  
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
marznc marznc
Reply |

In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
I’ve always been curious about tenney as well. It looks pretty cool. Your pics sure look like it was deep and empty. Good for you but bad for business. It doesn’t sound like they are gonna make it eh? Well.....skin to win witch.
Way too soon to say.  This will be the first full season since the new owners decided to get the lifts certified and came up with a plan for 3-5 years for getting the trails and everything else in working order.  They fix things the right way, not the quick and dirty way.  I've been following the Tenney Facebook page ever since it started.  The story is unique.  There are lots of reasons it took longer than expected to open for a full season.  Warm weather is one of them.

I stopped by and had a chat with Mike Bouchard in Fall 2017.  Skied there in March 2018.  Hoping to get back in March on a day when both lifts are running.

The slopes have been open to uphill travel.  There are videos posted on FB.